Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Here's my recent IST transit experience. Landed TK55 SIN-IST just a few minutes late (it's often more late than this day) at 0537 (scheduled 0525). Parked at a distant jetway 0542. Business class so got off plane quickly and walked smartly to transfer. No sign of priority for J / Gold or anyone else. Long chaotic queue, frequent shouting, jostling, queue jumping etc. Made it to the lounge at 0629. Few seats available, queue for toilets - I gave up (had no time to even attempt a shower). Long walk to gate 707 where boarding had already commenced (via a bus). Onboard at 0710 for 0730 scheduled departure.

So a 2hr 5 min transit time just vanished.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
havall, in any case, it's nuts.

(...)

Anyway, let us know how it goes - and PRAY for an early arrival.
Yes, it was pretty nuts; I won't be doing this again.

Originally Posted by SK AAR
I doubt TK agents at FRA will be able or willing to print a BP ex IST when you are not on a TK flight ex. FRA. Most likely you will be told to go to the LH check-in counters, however, LH will not touch this (be able to print your BP ex. IST).

Anyway, not a big issue. Upon disembarkation at IST you will most likely not be allowed to proceed directly to the depart. level from the aero bridge (because you dont have a BP for your onward flight) so you need to proceed to arrival level and the TK transfer desk located near the security checks for transfer pax. As you are already checked in it should be no issue to receive a BP at the transfer desk even if you are late. The issue is that you need to clear security check and be in time at the gate.
This is basically what happened. In Frankfurt, while everyone tried to be helpful, neither LH nor TK was able to issue my boarding pass, but both airlines confirmed that I am checked in.

My flight from Frankfurt arrived at the gate at 1:02 pm. I was the first person to get off the plane. I had a printed check-in confirmation but no boarding pass, so I was not allowed to take the aero bridge up to departures. The security officer protecting the bridge told me to go straight to the international transfer security that was to the right of our gate (a good 5 min walk at a brisk pace). There were only 3 people in front of me. When it was my turn, the security officers collectively decided that I can't go through and need to go back to the transit desk first (another 5 min walk back to my arrival gate AND another 8 min walk at a brisk pace to the transit desk that's next to another transfer security checkpoint). There were probably 20 or so people in line, but to the very right, there was a *G/TK J line that was empty. The agent took my passport and printed my boarding pass without asking a question, then told me to go through the security checkpoint that's right behind us and head straight for the gate as almost 200 people have already boarded. There were only two people in front of me at the security checkpoint so the whole thing took no more than 5 min. I ran to the gate, where I went though another passport control (TK), then another passport control (U.S.?), then another brief security check (open bags, etc.). There were probably at least 10-15 people behind me (who were trickling in like as if there was no rush). In any case, I was on the plane right at 1:50, not quite huffing and puffing, but certainly with an elevated heart rate. The plane (scheduled for a 2 pm departure) left the gate at 2:13 pm, took off at 2:43 pm.

So yes, it was pretty nuts. I was very, very lucky to make the connection on time.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by havall
The security officer protecting the bridge told me to go straight to the international transfer security that was to the right of our gate (a good 5 min walk at a brisk pace). There were only 3 people in front of me. When it was my turn, the security officers collectively decided that I can't go through and need to go back to the transit desk first (another 5 min walk back to my arrival gate AND another 8 min walk at a brisk pace to the transit desk that's next to another transfer security checkpoint).
I'm glad to hear that you made it but I'm surprised that the security officer on the aero bridge told you this nonsense. When he already denied you access to the departures (which was a correct decision) he should have known that his colleagues at the transfer security check would do the same unless you have a real BP and he should have directed you to the TK transfer desk rather than transfer security check - could it be that you misunderstood something?

Anyway, transfer security check is right behind the transfer desk so I'm curious where/which security check you went to in the first place? I have never experienced other transfer security check than that at the transfer desk. Anyway, it appears that you could have saved considerable time by proceeding straight to the transfer desk as you were advised above.

Thank you for reporting back; it is always much appreciated.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:16 am

I appreciate if anyone can help me with my questions,

I am flying to IST from SFO on TK and connecting to ATH outbound and flying back from FCO to SFO through IST inbound this summer. All legs on biz class. On my way out I arrive in IST at 5:15 pm and connecting to a 7:15 pm flight. On my way back, I arrive in IST at 10:50 am and connecting to a 1:05 pm flight. I never flew this route before, thus some questions.

My first question is if I can check luggage through to ATH from SFO and to SFO from FCO.

The second question is what process do I go through at IST to connect to the flight to ATH, outbound and to the flight to SFO, inbound and how long the process takes. I read there are two separate security checkpoints (or even 3???) after arriving at IST before boarding a connection flight. Is it the same for both outbound and inbound? Do I have a bus transportation or a jet bridge to a terminal after arriving at IST both ways?

The third question is how to get to the TK lounge. Please guide me how to get there. I heard the airport is rather confusing. Assuming it is located on the departure floor, do I take either elevator/escalator or stairs up or down to the lounge?

Thank you.
Michaelmorio
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Anyway, transfer security check is right behind the transfer desk so I'm curious where/which security check you went to in the first place? I have never experienced other transfer security check than that at the transfer desk.
To the best of my recollection, we arrived to either gate 225 or 226. Upon entering the terminal, consistent with what I was told on the aero bridge, the signage also suggested that closest security check for international transfers was to the right (the opposite direction to the transfer desk and the security check that's right behind it). Again, to the best of my recollection, that said security check was nearby arrival gate 228 or so, which sounds like it should be close to gate 225 or 226, but it's actually quite a hike.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
My first question is if I can check luggage through to ATH from SFO and to SFO from FCO.
Is this a single ticket? Are all flights on TK? If it's TK all the way, even on separate tickets, the answer is yes, you can. If other airlines are involved, it's not always clear, but on a single ticket it should work fine. If these are two separate tickets and two different airlines, it probably won't work (and in that case, your "connection" is not really a connection and is probably too short).

The second question is what process do I go through at IST to connect to the flight to ATH, outbound and to the flight to SFO, inbound and how long the process takes. I read there are two separate security checkpoints (or even 3???) after arriving at IST before boarding a connection flight. Is it the same for both outbound and inbound? Do I have a bus transportation or a jet bridge to a terminal after arriving at IST both ways?
You may arrive at a jet bridge or a bus gate, there's no way to tell until the aircraft stops. In either case, you may arrive from a "clean" destination (Europe usually is), which means you will find yourself at the departure level if you have a boarding pass for your connecting flight (make sure you have it ready as you leave the arriving aircraft). Then, all you have to do is go to your departure gate. Otherwise, you have to go through a security check. There are special lines for business class passengers, look for them to save time. Finally, there will be another security screening at the gate before your US-bound flight.

The third question is how to get to the TK lounge. Please guide me how to get there. I heard the airport is rather confusing. Assuming it is located on the departure floor, do I take either elevator/escalator or stairs up or down to the lounge?
Follow the signs. It's not so complicated. The airport is quite simple; you may want to check the airport map.

Shuly
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Through immigration and customs, keep left and follow the signs.
I have a similar (INT-DOM) transfer coming up in a couple of weeks, but am a little confused about the process.

Our itinerary is LHR-IST-AYT on a single ticket. If the luggage is through checked (which seems to make sense) is there additional customs at AYT to deal with?
I booked a driver from AYT who seemed to think that we'll be coming into an international gate at AYT but that doesn't feel right as IST-AYT is an entirely domestic flight, but having never transited at IST I'm a tad confused. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere...

Originally Posted by booking company
Your flight is transit. So you will take your luggage in international terminal to customs control. Than you will exit from international terminal gate
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Our itinerary is LHR-IST-AYT on a single ticket. If the luggage is through checked (which seems to make sense) is there additional customs at AYT to deal with?
I booked a driver from AYT who seemed to think that we'll be coming into an international gate at AYT but that doesn't feel right as IST-AYT is an entirely domestic flight
You will go through immigration in IST, then proceed to the domestic terminal to board your flight to AYT. It's a domestic flight, so should arrive in the domestic terminal. But you will have to go through customs in AYT if your luggage is checked through.

Shuly
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Interesting, thanks for your reply. So is the driver's comment about being picked up from the International terminal in AYT correct?
Appreciate your insight!
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
Is this a single ticket? Are all flights on TK? If it's TK all the way, even on separate tickets, the answer is yes, you can. If other airlines are involved, it's not always clear, but on a single ticket it should work fine. If these are two separate tickets and two different airlines, it probably won't work (and in that case, your "connection" is not really a connection and is probably too short).

Hello Shuly,

Thank you for your feedback.
I have some more questions. Please help me.

This is an all-on-TK-one-ticket trip.

You may arrive at a jet bridge or a bus gate, there's no way to tell until the aircraft stops. In either case, you may arrive from a "clean" destination (Europe usually is), which means you will find yourself at the departure level if you have a boarding pass for your connecting flight (make sure you have it ready as you leave the arriving aircraft). Then, all you have to do is go to your departure gate. Otherwise, you have to go through a security check. There are special lines for business class passengers, look for them to save time. Finally, there will be another security screening at the gate before your US-bound flight.

On my way back I arrive in IST from FCO. Assuming Italy is a "clean destination", do you mean I don't go through a (probably the main?) security check but go through a security screening right at the connection gate to a flight to the US?
And on my way out to ATH, I will go through the security check first and the screening at the connection gate. Am I right? If so, I guess my connection time at IST is probably 15~20 minutes shorter on my way back. It that a good estimate?
How long, by the way, will it take to go through the entire process of connection there?

Follow the signs. It's not so complicated. The airport is quite simple; you may want to check the airport map.

Shuly
Thank you.
Michaelmorio
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by pythonisman
Interesting, thanks for your reply. So is the driver's comment about being picked up from the International terminal in AYT correct?
I doubt it but I don't have first-hand experience. See here, but it's still not perfectly clear.

Shuly
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:33 pm

On my way back I arrive in IST from FCO. Assuming Italy is a "clean destination", do you mean I don't go through a (probably the main?) security check but go through a security screening right at the connection gate to a flight to the US?
And on my way out to ATH, I will go through the security check first and the screening at the connection gate. Am I right? If so, I guess my connection time at IST is probably 15~20 minutes shorter on my way back. It that a good estimate?
How long, by the way, will it take to go through the entire process of connection there?
There are two issues here: one is whether your arrival is considered "clean". Arrivals from Europe should be; but there's no guarantee. The other is whether you have a jet bridge or a bus gate. Again, no way way to tell.

If you arrive at a gate, AND your arrival is clean, there will be an officer just at the gate. Present the boarding pass for your next flight and the officer will allow you to go up, to the departure floor. You just saved one security check. Gate arrival from an "unclean" flight will entail that you go down towards the arrivals floor, proceed to security and then go one floor up to departures for your connection.

With a bust gate it's a similar procedure: the bus will drop you off somewhere on the arrivals floor, and an officer will want to see a boarding pass for a connecting flight in order to let you go one floor up to departures without the need for security. If the arriving flight is not clean, or you don't have a boarding pass, you follow the crowd towards security.

Independently of all this, US destinations have an additional security layer at the gate. Nothing to be concerned about, since if you're at the gate they probably won't leave without you.

The entire process can take 2 minutes (if you arrive at a gate, the arrival is clean and your departure gate for the connecting flight is nearby). It can also take 90 minutes if it's a bus arrival, the aircraft parks far away on the tarmac; it's not clean; lines for security are long; and the distance between the arrival and departure gates are maximal. But you're flying business, will be among the first to leave the aircraft (even if it's a bus, they have designated minibuses for business class), and have a fast track through security. I wouldn't be concerned at all given your connection times.

Shuly
Old May 1, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: BRK-B
Is the fast track transfer also applicable to TG*G passengers travelling on TK Y?
Old May 1, 2018, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Noppasit
Is the fast track transfer also applicable to TG*G passengers travelling on TK Y?
In theory, yes.

Shuly
Old May 1, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, Hertz President's Circle, HHonors Diamond
If transiting on separate airlines do I need an e-visa?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.