Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
Originally Posted by Vgravity
If transiting on separate airlines do I need an e-visa?
Int to int then no.
Old May 1, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Vgravity
If transiting on separate airlines do I need an e-visa?
Depends on your citizenship!
Old May 1, 2018, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by shuly
There are two issues here: one is whether your arrival is considered "clean". Arrivals from Europe should be; but there's no guarantee. The other is whether you have a jet bridge or a bus gate. Again, no way way to tell.

If you arrive at a gate, AND your arrival is clean, there will be an officer just at the gate. Present the boarding pass for your next flight and the officer will allow you to go up, to the departure floor. You just saved one security check. Gate arrival from an "unclean" flight will entail that you go down towards the arrivals floor, proceed to security and then go one floor up to departures for your connection.

With a bust gate it's a similar procedure: the bus will drop you off somewhere on the arrivals floor, and an officer will want to see a boarding pass for a connecting flight in order to let you go one floor up to departures without the need for security. If the arriving flight is not clean, or you don't have a boarding pass, you follow the crowd towards security.

Independently of all this, US destinations have an additional security layer at the gate. Nothing to be concerned about, since if you're at the gate they probably won't leave without you.

The entire process can take 2 minutes (if you arrive at a gate, the arrival is clean and your departure gate for the connecting flight is nearby). It can also take 90 minutes if it's a bus arrival, the aircraft parks far away on the tarmac; it's not clean; lines for security are long; and the distance between the arrival and departure gates are maximal. But you're flying business, will be among the first to leave the aircraft (even if it's a bus, they have designated minibuses for business class), and have a fast track through security. I wouldn't be concerned at all given your connection times.

Shuly
Thank you Shuly for your input.

This is not directly related to "transfer/connecting at IST" issues but I hope you can help me understand it better. I read on different websites the departure time printed on TK flights are 30 minutes earlier than actual departure time. Is it true? The poster of the comment even states the lounge monitor at IST changes from "Wait in lounge" to "Last Minute Boarding" all of a sudden. Have you noticed anything like this?

Thanks.
Micahelmorio
Old May 1, 2018, 5:50 pm

Hey guys,
i am planning to get a reward flight on BA from LHR, connecting to TK on separate bookings . Connecting time will be 2h and i can't afford to lose the connecting TK flight.
Arrival at IST will be 23:40. I assume I got to clear immigration, collect luggage and check in again 1h before my connecting flight which departing at 01:40.

Basically I have only about 1 hour from arrival time to make it to the check in counter at IST. Any thoughts? Is this connection too risky?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:24 pm

Arriving TK4 from JFK connecting to TK457 to KBP luggage will be checked though since on same ticket.

Will we need to go through security check or just walk to KBP gate ?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
Originally Posted by wley
Hey guys,
i am planning to get a reward flight on BA from LHR, connecting to TK on separate bookings . Connecting time will be 2h and i can't afford to lose the connecting TK flight.
Arrival at IST will be 23:40. I assume I got to clear immigration, collect luggage and check in again 1h before my connecting flight which departing at 01:40.

Basically I have only about 1 hour from arrival time to make it to the check in counter at IST. Any thoughts? Is this connection too risky?
Do you have status with TK? If so, it may help you to clear immigration faster but I would personally advise against such a tight connection.

Immigration and Security checks at IST can be pretty long to clear (even if doing so around midnight may mean that the lines won't be as long as they can be during the day) and if you factor a possible delay on your BA flight (as well as the fact that the check-in counter closes what 60 mins before take-off?), it may become very tricky.
Old May 2, 2018, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Enthilza
Do you have status with TK? If so, it may help you to clear immigration faster but I would personally advise against such a tight connection.

Immigration and Security checks at IST can be pretty long to clear (even if doing so around midnight may mean that the lines won't be as long as they can be during the day) and if you factor a possible delay on your BA flight (as well as the fact that the check-in counter closes what 60 mins before take-off?), it may become very tricky.
Thanks. I am thinking the same after looking at the flight performance of BA680 on Flightstat. Often delayed by ~ 30 mins. A bad idea. Can't afford to miss the connection at all.
Old May 2, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Thanks. I am thinking the same after looking at the flight performance of BA680 on Flightstat. Often delayed by ~ 30 mins. A bad idea. Can't afford to miss the connection at all.
I would double check flightstats. Enter the flight number into flightaware.com and look at the flight history. You will need to register and log in to get most of the history. But I have found that the actual data does not match some of the flightstats delay numbers from time to time. And you can see a much wider view of the data. Flightstats is a 60 day period from approximately 2 months ago. Flightaware will show you the raw history data going from yesterday to several months back.
Old May 2, 2018, 1:53 pm

Hey guys,

I would definitely leave more time. IST is over-crowded and many flights park in outside positions. Lines for immigration can easily take 40 minutes. Midnight is a peak time at IST. In short, I would look for an earlier arrival. In fact, two hours isn't very much even if you're flying business class and have hand-luggage only.

Shuly
Old May 2, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by michaelmorio
I read on different websites the departure time printed on TK flights are 30 minutes earlier than actual departure time. Is it true? The poster of the comment even states the lounge monitor at IST changes from "Wait in lounge" to "Last Minute Boarding" all of a sudden. Have you noticed anything like this?
What's "actual departure time"? The ticket lists the scheduled departure time; the boarding pass lists the boarding time (typically, 30 minutes or more earlier); and flight tracking sites can specify gate departure or take-off time. TK is no different from any other airline in this respect. Monitors in the lounge (and elsewhere around the airport) have three states: go to gate (green), boarding (yellow) and last call (red). The yellow phase may be shortish but in my experience it's always there. Gates close 20 minutes before scheduled departure time. Again, nothing TK-specific here.

Shuly
Old May 2, 2018, 5:20 pm

Shuly,

Thank you again for your post. I made a mistake. What the poster of the article said is TK always put 30 minutes earlier boarding time than scheduled boarding time. It's from the following place.

IST: Istanbul Airport Guide - Terminal map, airport guide, lounges, bars, restaurants & reviews with images

So, if the scheduled departure time is, say 2:00pm and estimated boarding time is 1:20 pm, according to the above article the boarding time on the boarding pass is 12:50 pm (30 minutes earlier than scheduled boarding time). But reading your response this is not the case according to your experience.

isn't that right?

Michaelmorio
Old May 2, 2018, 11:10 pm

Programs: TK*G EP
Originally Posted by pythonisman
Interesting, thanks for your reply. So is the driver's comment about being picked up from the International terminal in AYT correct?
Appreciate your insight!
That is correct. At the gate in AYT, you will be met by TK staff and will be transfered to International Terminal. You will have your luggage there and then clear the customs. Your driver will be at the arrival in Int'l Terminal as he said.
Old May 4, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: QF, TK, VA, SQ
Originally Posted by rozy
That is correct. At the gate in AYT, you will be met by TK staff and will be transfered to International Terminal. You will have your luggage there and then clear the customs. Your driver will be at the arrival in Int'l Terminal as he said.
Thankyou for that. Quite an unusual process but I've only done Int-Dom connections before in AU/NZ/USA and they've all been cases of doing everything after the international flight, and re-dropping bags at a transfer / re-check desk before the domestic hop.

Also I've realised (stupidly) that we'll not be in the International terminal to experience the IST business lounge on our inbound trip, but hopefully the domestic one will be alright for a quick stop between flights
Old May 6, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
LJU-IST-YYZ 1:50 Connection

Hi All,

I've been reading through this thread and am curious:

Might the LJU-IST flight park at a remote stand, and additionally, might the IST-YYZ flight be departing from the same? I know operations change all the time, but again, just wondering (there's no need for me to visit the the lounge, as I did that a few years ago).

I've arrived at IST on an SQ flight in the morning and got a bus gate. There was a minibus for J passengers, security was quick (I recall vaguely, that there was also a priority line). My TK17 flight to YYZ departes from a terminal gate (same date). That's the extent of my experience at IST.

​​​​​​Thanks for any insight.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:02 pm

Hello all!

I have a very long connection at IST on one ticket (SQ to TK). I will also need to get my bags in town - so will check them to IST only (and re-check later).
- Can I visit the lounge at arrival first (using my boarding pass for the next TK flight late in the day), and then exit outside through immigration?
- How is the process for unclaimed bags at baggage claim/how safe is the area? I.e. will it be ok to let my bag spin for a while or go into baggage office, and pick it up an hour or two later?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.