Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Frederic Wu
If this policy does exist, it is not reasonable to me. I think I need a really good luck to make the connection in 60 mins. The transit security can easily take 30+ minutes and there's additional security for US bound flights + time on shuttle bus from remote stands (likely for a narrow body aircraft from Arusha) + walking time from gate to gate.
I think its not worth worrying about something that is beyond your control.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:23 am

Hi all. I have a rerouted ticket J class from DOH-IST-DXB with transit time at IST for 1 hr 20 mins which I thought it was plentiful until recently found out that the transit passenger need to go thru the long Q of security check. I will fly in with QR and fly out with TK.

Do you think I will miss my DXB flight?

In case that I miss my connecting flight, who should I reach out to? It was a Turkish airways flight but booked by Qatar Airways (rerouted ticket from original DOH-DXB).

Thanks for your advise.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Amame
Hi all. I have a rerouted ticket J class from DOH-IST-DXB with transit time at IST for 1 hr 20 mins which I thought it was plentiful until recently found out that the transit passenger need to go thru the long Q of security check. I will fly in with QR and fly out with TK.

Do you think I will miss my DXB flight?

In case that I miss my connecting flight, who should I reach out to? It was a Turkish airways flight but booked by Qatar Airways (rerouted ticket from original DOH-DXB).

Thanks for your advise.
Hi - can't advise on transit time as haven't done it myself, but if it's a through ticket then your connection is "protected", meaning that if you miss it, the airline is responsible for getting you on the next available flight.

If you want to talk to the airline, then call QR as they are the ones who issued the ticket.

BTW that's a crazy routing - I know there are restrictions on direct flights but looking at the map, it's like, wow, long way round! You might want to ask for a better routing, for example via MCT...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by OxfordBlue
BTW that's a crazy routing - I know there are restrictions on direct flights but looking at the map, it's like, wow, long way round! You might want to ask for a better routing, for example via MCT...
I know, it's like 10 hrs travelling for 45 minutes distance. Unfortunately the policy that kicks in by the time of my rerouting, does not allow the J passenger to reroute thru MCT or Kuwait. It was allowed in the early stage.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Don't worry. 1:20min should be sufficient to transfer at IST even that you have to clear transfer security to get the departure hall. Mostly it is not that bad - I have cleared transfer security several times with virtually no queue.

If you misconnect at IST I would suggest to approach TK. They will direct you to QR if you need to deal with QR for rebooking.

One issue is that there is no TK ticket office or transfer desks once you are past the transfer security/in the departure hall. From the departure hall you would need to take the lift (the lift is behind the escalator taking you from transfer security to departure hall) down 1 floor to arrivals level to get to the TK tranfer desk. There you will also find the desk for QR. You could also decide to approach the transfer desks when you disembark from the QR flight and before clearing transfer security if it is clear that you will not make it to your TK flight.

Good luck - most likely you will make that transfer.

I agree with the previous comment that this a hilarious way to get from DOH to DXB (and I'm aware of the current QR issues causing these rebookings).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Don't worry. 1:20min should be sufficient to transfer at IST even that you have to clear transfer security to get the departure hall. Mostly it is not that bad - I have cleared transfer security several times with virtually no queue.

If you misconnect at IST I would suggest to approach TK. They will direct you to QR if you need to deal with QR for rebooking.

One issue is that there is no TK ticket office or transfer desks once you are past the transfer security/in the departure hall. From the departure hall you would need to take the lift (the lift is behind the escalator taking you from transfer security to departure hall) down 1 floor to arrivals level to get to the TK tranfer desk. There you will also find the desk for QR. You could also decide to approach the transfer desks when you disembark from the QR flight and before clearing transfer security if it is clear that you will not make it to your TK flight.

Good luck - most likely you will make that transfer.

I agree with the previous comment that this a hilarious way to get from DOH to DXB (and I'm aware of the current QR issues causing these rebookings).
Thank you, this is super helpful. I will save this on my phone. I will try to make a run for it. One post mentioned that there is a fast track for the business card passenger and I hope it is true.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I have a connection coming up next year at IST. Arriving IST at 16:15 (TK6 from ORD) departing 17:55 to VCE (TK1869).

I booked it looking at the published MCT and the 1:40 connection looks like it should be easy. From reading this thread I assume that all we will have to do is clear transit security, assuming I get my boarding passes for both flights when I check in at ORD. Is there anything I should worry about?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cheltzel
I have a connection coming up next year at IST. Arriving IST at 16:15 (TK6 from ORD) departing 17:55 to VCE (TK1869).

I booked it looking at the published MCT and the 1:40 connection looks like it should be easy. From reading this thread I assume that all we will have to do is clear transit security, assuming I get my boarding passes for both flights when I check in at ORD. Is there anything I should worry about?
If its all on one ticket you should be fine, if 2 separate tickets then you're responsible.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
If its all on one ticket you should be fine, if 2 separate tickets then you're responsible.
Same ticket. In business on both segments.

Thanks
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same ticket. In business on both segments.

Thanks
You're protected
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
They looked after me when i missed an IST connection on two separate tickets.

Perhaps the two-hour delay behind the missed flight weighed on their conscience
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:50 am

You're protected
I would never buy a connection that tight on 2 different tickets.

I was more concerned about the mechanics of making the connection as I don't have much experience at IST and have not done it in several years.

Thanks again.

Last edited by cheltzel; Oct 2, 2017 at 6:29 am
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would never buy a connection tight tight on 2 different tickets.

I was more concerned about the mechanics of making the connection as I don't have much experience at IST and have not done it in several years.

Thanks again.
As soon as you exit your flight if unsure ask the TK staff. Also there are signs that you should look at. I have been to that airport a few times, its not that bad albeit overcrowded.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:01 pm

Transit at IST?

Hey all,
Has any US citizen have any trouble transiting in IST? My friend and I have a flight from TBS-IST-OPT at the end of the month with 1 hour 10 mins layover in IST and ever since the visa issue we were afraid that we'll run into issues.
How long did it take for you to transit through?
Have you had any issues?
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
If you are transiting , you don't need a Visa.. You deplane, pass through security and reach the departure hall...
very smooth..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.