Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:03 pm
AHQ

Hi-This thread is super helpful. We are planning to travel from SFO to Cairo with 1h 20m connecting time in IST, both flights are on one ticket. A bit nervous as I typically like to keep 2-3 hours in between just to be safe.

According to the previous post I don't believe we need to go through security check since we coming from SFO, but please advice if there's anything specific we should be aware of. Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2017, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by AHQ
Hi-This thread is super helpful. We are planning to travel from SFO to Cairo with 1h 20m connecting time in IST, both flights are on one ticket. A bit nervous as I typically like to keep 2-3 hours in between just to be safe.

According to the previous post I don't believe we need to go through security check since we coming from SFO, but please advice if there's anything specific we should be aware of. Thanks!
As much I'm aware, arrivals from the US are indeed considered clean (at the moment.. if you read this in 2018, things might have changed..) thus a 1h20min connection would be perfectly fine.

Even a "unclean" 1hr20min connection is fine as long you're not delayed much into IST. While queues can be long, they're fairly efficent. I'd say waiting more than 20min is VERY rare on security - and the majority of unclear transfers I've done in IST was <5min at security. Immigration, however, can take longer.

Long haul arrivals also tend to be quite on time (or massively delayed ) - so I'd not worry much.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by AHQ

Welcome to FT and the TK forums.

Do also note that EU arriving pax connecting USA, must also go thru transit security.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8

Do also note that EU arriving pax connecting USA, must also go thru transit security.
not the regular security but special gate security though. in the case of unclean arrivals (or starting the trip in IST) it means two security checks..
Old Mar 7, 2017, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
not the regular security but special gate security though. in the case of unclean arrivals (or starting the trip in IST) it means two security checks..
When I landed from HEL I was directed thru the regular transit check point and at the gate my bag was searched and I was given a pat down.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:22 am

ATL->IST->VIE

in the same itinerary, arriving at 4:40 PM @ IST,
Would I make the flight to VIE if it departs at 5:40 pm? or should I take the 7:55pm one?
I really rather take the 5:40 pm one so I can enjoy vienna's night a bit

It will be TK32 to TK1887 (so both turkish airline) and also business class (if that helps)

Thank you guys
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by lkh5650
ATL->IST->VIE

in the same itinerary, arriving at 4:40 PM @ IST,
Would I make the flight to VIE if it departs at 5:40 pm? or should I take the 7:55pm one?
I really rather take the 5:40 pm one so I can enjoy vienna's night a bit

It will be TK32 to TK1887 (so both turkish airline) and also business class (if that helps)

Thank you guys
An hour long connection is doable but I wouldn't risk it. You do not need to go thru security at IST so timewise it's fine. J class helps to get you into the Fast Track security just in case they decide to screen the flight.

But I'd rather take the 1887 just to enjoy the lounge.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Assuming that we are talking about 1 ticket (rather than 2 separate tickets) I would not hesitate to book the 5:50PM flight to VIE. In the unlikely event that your incoming flight is late and you miss your connection, you will be rebooked to the next VIE flight - not a problem at all and nothing to loose by booking the earlier connection (except the risk that the later VIE is sold out, but unlikely in C).

The lounge at IST is nice, but does not additional hours in transit, if an earlier flight is possible.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Assuming that we are talking about 1 ticket (rather than 2 separate tickets) I would not hesitate to book the 5:50PM flight to VIE. In the unlikely event that your incoming flight is late and you miss your connection, you will be rebooked to the next VIE flight - not a problem at all and nothing to loose by booking the earlier connection (except the risk that the later VIE is sold out, but unlikely in C).

The lounge at IST is nice, but does not additional hours in transit, if an earlier flight is possible.
The only risk would be that the later flight is fully booked / oversold, and OP would basically be put on standby there, and possibly having to stay in IST for the night (if the aircraft is fully booked and no seats are available, even Y pax originally booked onto it will have priority over OP's standby C ticket), while he would have flown had he booked the later flight from the start.

Last/first days of main holidays, when all flights are fully booked, I'd always go with a safer, longer connection.

Otherwise I agree. Earlier flight is probably better.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
The only risk would be that the later flight is fully booked / oversold, and OP would basically be put on standby there, and possibly having to stay in IST for the night (if the aircraft is fully booked and no seats are available, even Y pax originally booked onto it will have priority over OP's standby C ticket), while he would have flown had he booked the later flight from the start.

Last/first days of main holidays, when all flights are fully booked, I'd always go with a safer, longer connection.

Otherwise I agree. Earlier flight is probably better.
Originally Posted by SK AAR

An hour long connection is doable but I wouldn't risk it. You do not need to go thru security at IST so timewise it's fine. J class helps to get you into the Fast Track security just in case they decide to screen the flight.

But I'd rather take the 1887 just to enjoy the lounge.

Thank you guys for your help!! I went ahead and booked the one with 1hr connection. I really would want to enjoy the lounge in istanbul but I also do wanna enjoy vienna!!
It will be on May 10th (wednesday) and that should help..right? and yes it is 1 ticket
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by lkh5650
Thank you guys for your help!! I went ahead and booked the one with 1hr connection. I really would want to enjoy the lounge in istanbul but I also do wanna enjoy vienna!!
It will be on May 10th (wednesday) and that should help..right? and yes it is 1 ticket
Mid of week should be perfectly fine - I doubt much overbooking will happen so even with delay, not really any risk.

If you're lucky enough, you can still catch the lounge for a short look-around (US-arrivals are clean, with a jetbridge you'll be into the lounge about 15min after landing, with a bus maybe 20-25min) - on time arrival and you'll have enough time for a quick look (and bite )
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:57 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador

Definitely not!

I flew to SFO (from ARN) the other day and was able to skip transit security. There was additional security at the gate, but it applies to all passengers: local, transits from EU, transits from outside of EU.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 2:54 am

BA to Gulf Air

Hi sorry this may be a really silly question, but we're flying in to Istanbul on Thursday evening on BA from London and then transferring to Gulf Air to Bahrain (2 separate booking). Is it possible to go through the transit route, if we have hand baggage only and checked in online with printed boarding passes? Or is this only for connecting pax on the same booking?

If it's necessary to go through immigration and and come back in again - does anyone know what waiting times are typically like at to get through immigration and then get back through security at around midnight? It's been a while since i was at IST.

Many thanks, Nick
Old Mar 28, 2017, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by nmassey
Hi sorry this may be a really silly question, but we're flying in to Istanbul on Thursday evening on BA from London and then transferring to Gulf Air to Bahrain (2 separate booking). Is it possible to go through the transit route, if we have hand baggage only and checked in online with printed boarding passes? Or is this only for connecting pax on the same booking?

If it's necessary to go through immigration and and come back in again - does anyone know what waiting times are typically like at to get through immigration and then get back through security at around midnight? It's been a while since i was at IST.

Many thanks, Nick
You can take the transit route.
Old Mar 28, 2017, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Dont worry, you will be able to stay airside at IST. Print/download your Gulf Air boarding pass in advance. Once you are off the plane at IST, follow the signs for "transfer", and you should be able to proceed to the transit areat/departures level (you have go through security check first and your BP will be checked that you are eligible to enter transit area/deaparture level). If you cannot get a Gulf Air BP in advance, print your itinerary and explain the guy/girl checking your BP for access to transit area that you are going to to collect your Gulf Air BP at the transit desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.