Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:28 am

International-to-domestic: 90-min connection time?

arriving at IST at 5:25am in TK J class
connecting to ASR at 6:55am in TK J class

As both flights are on the same ticket, I should already have my boarding pass for the connecting flight. Is 90 minutes enough time for such a connection or am I cutting it too close? Also to recheck my bag for the domestic flight, do I do it at the international terminal or domestic one?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by nacho
They ought to because they are the one selling you the ticket with such a short connection. If you can't make it and the layover is over 8 hours then you are entitled to the hotel accommodation too.
Can you elaborate a bit on this one?

I am interested in the IAH-IST but most connections require an overnight. Any information on hotel, distance, quality would be appreciated

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If you have a TK ticket and that requires spend a night at IST, then you are entitled to a night at IST paid by TK.

If you look at the FAQ thread about hotels, you can see that they won't put you to motel 6 or super 8 standard hotel. You won't know which hotel until you are there. Breakfast will be included and also transportation to and from IST. You are responsible for visa to Turkey if you need one.

TK put people in Courtyard, Holiday Inn, Radisson etc.

I haven't used it myself because we decided to pay for our own night at IST because we are 2 adults and 3 kids and we don't want to be separated (they can put us into 2 hotel if necessary).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
CAVEAT

Originally Posted by Deltahater

I am interested in the IAH-IST but most connections require an overnight. Any information on hotel, distance, quality would be appreciated

Thanks
The "free Hotel" offer of TK is not that simple. The pax needs to be taking the "first" connection of a TK/TK itinerary. This means that the "forced" layover needs to be 10 hours or longer in economy class. Additionally, if from your origin there is another flight which arrives into IST making the layover shorter than 10 hours, the pax will NOT be offered free hotel accommodation. Deltahater, exactly what is your itinerary? As I have availed myself often of this TK free hotel offer, perhaps I can better advise you.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 1:43 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Deltahater
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/turki...cting-ist.html
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:57 am

Hi, I need some advice on transiting at IST on two separate tickets:
TK1984 LHRIST arr 0420
SQ0391 ISTSIN dep 1330

This gives me a 9-hour layover and it is highly unlikely I will get my BP for the second leg at LHR. I do not require a visa to enter Turkey, but my main aim is to get to the *G lounge without having to wait for the SQ desks (both landside/airside) to open in the late morning. Will an etkt printout of the SQ flight be sufficient to get me through transfer security and get into the TK lounge until the SQ desks open for me to get my IST-SIN BP printed?

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eriond
Hi, I need some advice on transiting at IST on two separate tickets:
TK1984 LHRIST arr 0420
SQ0391 ISTSIN dep 1330

This gives me a 9-hour layover and it is highly unlikely I will get my BP for the second leg at LHR. I do not require a visa to enter Turkey, but my main aim is to get to the *G lounge without having to wait for the SQ desks (both landside/airside) to open in the late morning. Will an etkt printout of the SQ flight be sufficient to get me through transfer security and get into the TK lounge until the SQ desks open for me to get my IST-SIN BP printed?

Thanks!
I think you can get free hotel if both flights are operated by TK.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by nacho
I think you can get free hotel if both flights are operated by TK.
No hotel for me as it's a TK-SQ connection, furthermore they're on separate itineraries. Just hoping to get through transfer security using my etkt printout without any problems.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eriond
No hotel for me as it's a TK-SQ connection, furthermore they're on separate itineraries. Just hoping to get through transfer security using my etkt printout without any problems.
You should be able to check through the whole journey. I had a TK-SQ connection 2 years ago doing TK CPH-IST-HKG then SQ HKG-SIN. I got my BP all the way to SIN at CPH and checked through all my bags too.

It's called interlining and I'm sure if the check-in staffs at LHR know how to do it.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 7:56 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Considering flying through Istanbul using TK.

BOM > IST > SFO.

Or use Emirates via Dubai?

Is there a lot of drama / security etc for transit passengers?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Considering flying through Istanbul using TK.

BOM > IST > SFO.

Or use Emirates via Dubai?

Is there a lot of drama / security etc for transit passengers?
I might've been lucky, but I flew through IST in the last few months and found it to be less hassle than transferring in DXB.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:09 am

Programs: Ex CO/ UA Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by ellyse
I might've been lucky, but I flew through IST in the last few months and found it to be less hassle than transferring in DXB.
Do elaborate? Esp did you head towards US?

Details?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
Originally Posted by xmlsoa
Do elaborate? Esp did you head towards US?

Details?
No, sorry. It was in mid-Jul for both times. From PVG to MXP early morning, and then from MXP to PVG late at night. Maybe I was very lucky, but there was almost no queue both times, which was a huge change from the past times that I've transferred there. The same security lines are for all flights.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:10 pm

Programs: Delta Flyer
Cool Checking in early at IST for early-early-morning departures

I frequently fly into IST around 0130 with an early domestic flight out the next "morning" anywhere from 0545-0730. The problem is, when I check out of international, I have to check into domestic. Most of the time, Turkish Airlines won't be open/let me (or my partner) check bags until a few hours before departure time so I can't spend the evening in the (non *A lounge) plane-side.

Any suggestions on how to check bags 4-5 hours early?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2013, 4:33 pm

I am flying TK from Houston > Istanbul > Antalya this week.

I only have 1.5 hours from when I land in Istanbul to when I need to catch my flight to Antalya.

I already got an e-visa.

1. Do I need to claim my bag in Istanbul?
2. Will 1.5 hours be enough to get on my Antalya flight with immigration (all Turkish Airlines, and assuming there aren't delays)?

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.