Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:20 am

My family is traveling YYZ-IST-FCO this summer, with a 65 minute connection in IST. Knowing that it will be tight (we will have a 2 year old in tow), I'm wondering about changing the IST-FCO segment in advance. The flight is booked on points (Aeroplan) who charge $90 per ticket to change, but is there any chance TK will allow the change at no charge, or a minimal charge?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jcoop
My family is traveling YYZ-IST-FCO this summer, with a 65 minute connection in IST. Knowing that it will be tight (we will have a 2 year old in tow), I'm wondering about changing the IST-FCO segment in advance. The flight is booked on points (Aeroplan) who charge $90 per ticket to change, but is there any chance TK will allow the change at no charge, or a minimal charge?
I doubt it, but here's what you can do.

65 minutes is doable, but TK doesn't have the best on time record in the world. I'd chat up the check in people at YYZ, point out the tight connection and if your YYZ-IST flight is delayed make them rebook you at YYZ.

Choosing a random date, I'm guessing you're on this:

Departure
Toronto , Lester B. Pearson International (YYZ) - Terminal 1
Thursday 28 May 2015 22:35

Arrival
Istanbul , Ataturk (IST) - Terminal I
Friday 29 May 2015 15:25

[65 minute layover]

Departure
Friday 29 May 2015 16:30

Arrival
Rome , Fiumicino (FCO) - Terminal 3
Friday 29 May 2015 18:05

The only other choice is:

Departure
Toronto , Lester B. Pearson International (YYZ) - Terminal 1
Thursday 28 May 2015 22:35

Arrival
Friday 29 May 2015 15:25

[6 hour, 50 minute layover]

Departure
Friday 29 May 2015 22:15

Arrival
Rome , Fiumicino (FCO) - Terminal 3
Friday 29 May 2015 23:50

That's a long layover followed by a very late arrival in FCO with a 2 year old. I'd gamble on the shorter connection, TK will likely reaccomodate you on the later flight assuming there's room.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:20 am

Yeah, those are the options. I know it's not very responsible or practical, but I also want to try out the world famous TK lounge!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CAlex
2. No fast-track for business. Unless the queue is strangely huge, normal security check is faster. If you choose the alternative, there is special immigration line, at the very right. Then you can use the direct entrance to the Lounge, at thevery left of the check-in area.
Originally Posted by emcampbe
On the other hand, getting to the transit area was thoroughly confusing and needs way better signage. There seems to be two different areas one can go through - I waited in line in the first (right next to where immigration is) since I didn't know there was another one - then at the front told I was told for YYZ, I had to keep walking.
Originally Posted by shuly
There were 3-4 people at the gate (actually, at the jetway); they could have been airport security personnel or police officers, I'm not sure. They asked each disembarking passenger to show a boarding pass for a connecting flight, and directed those who had one to the right hand side, where the jetway simply opened up to the transit area. All other passengers were directed to the left, presumably to the security control or the exit, as usual. I was among the first to leave the aircraft, I can only suppose this was the procedure used for everyone.

Shuly
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Welcome to FT timesup ^

I had a connection of 1h45m last week and managed to use the lounge. If you transit you don't necessarily have to clear security again. I didn't on a flight from Ireland to South Africa. And yes as *G you can use the lounge.
Some of these statements seem contradictory. We're on a long layover ORD-IST, IST-SIN all on TK. There is mention of three different transit areas, and that you need to be in the right one? How does one know? Then there are mentions of people with onward boarding cards being directed directly to the transit area, but others say everyone goes through security.

I'm curious about the "use the fast lane" (we're *Gold and flying Business) but then it talks about going through immigration to get to the "back door" to the lounge. On this option are you actually entering Turkey before going to the lounge? It doesn't matter to us, as we'll have visas since we're staying for a few days on our return trip.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by jcoop
Yeah, those are the options. I know it's not very responsible or practical, but I also want to try out the world famous TK lounge!
If you want to try the lounge (and it would be almost criminal to fly J on TK and not spend quality time in the lounge), then I would spend the $90 and change to the 12:40 IST-FCO flight on the 8th, overnighting in Istanbul.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by milepig
Some of these statements seem contradictory. We're on a long layover ORD-IST, IST-SIN all on TK. There is mention of three different transit areas, and that you need to be in the right one? How does one know? Then there are mentions of people with onward boarding cards being directed directly to the transit area, but others say everyone goes through security.

I'm curious about the "use the fast lane" (we're *Gold and flying Business) but then it talks about going through immigration to get to the "back door" to the lounge. On this option are you actually entering Turkey before going to the lounge? It doesn't matter to us, as we'll have visas since we're staying for a few days on our return trip.
There are two ways to get from the arrivals side to the departures side via transit security. If I remember correctly, both of them have a separate priority queue. Sometimes you can go to the departures side straight from the gate if you arrive from a secure location. You could also enter Turkey via Immigration and go to the lounge from the check-in area. Don't recommend that one.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Transferring/Transit in Istanbul

I flew DUB-TLV last week - no security screen at IST

Is that new?

And no time to try the lounge
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:47 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I flew DUB-TLV last week - no security screen at IST

Is that new?

And no time to try the lounge
I asked a similar question recently and starflyer was kind enough to answer. I don't think it's a new thing though.

Originally Posted by starflyergold
No additional security required when flying from DUB via IST, just walk to the gate (or lounge)
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:21 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by chris19992
I asked a similar question recently and starflyer was kind enough to answer. I don't think it's a new thing though.
TLV is slightly different though, usually those flight have an additional layer of security.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:48 pm

Chances are you'll miss the connection, unless of course your outbound is damaged as is routine with TA. The airport is confusing for first travellers and lines are long at security. If you get stranded you will find how the TA staff don't give a toss about service.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:03 am

CDG-IST then IST-ADB

Will be flying on AF economy CDG-IST arriving 2.20pm, any thoughts on whether I can make the 5pm domestic flight to ADB on TK? Would it make a difference if I don't check any bags?

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by lorkers
Is Qatar considered clean or dirty by Turkish?
I'm inbound from DOH to IST, and have 1:40 to make the flight to LHR.
I thought this was plenty of time, and last time doing LHR-IST-DOH just walked UP the ramp at arrival from LHR to get straight into the secure area. Not even a BP check.
But I'm getting nervous about doing it in reverse. Checking the past couple of weeks, the QR flights have a habit of arriving in IST late, and having previously experienced the charming TK customer service after missing a connection, I never want to deal with them again. Ever.
And this time the flights are on different PNR, so I have no connection protection. Hand luggage only though.
While it may be bad form to quote yourself, I do like to report back on my experience.

And to confirm, Doha isn't considered clean, so I had to go via the transit area and be re-screened again. What was chaos, and my inbound was late, so I only had an hour.

However, I did just manage it within that hour.

One further hint / warning: an hour before the flight my flight was showing 'Final Call' so I really raced to the gate... to stand there for 45 minutes before boarding started. Final Call at Istanbul just means they want people to wait at the gate.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just came through today. Off a flight from ORD. We were bussed which was fast and then there was a lane for International Connections. The guy looked at our onward bps and we were right in the INTL departures area. No security. From off the bus it took like 10 seconds.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by glynot
Will be flying on AF economy CDG-IST arriving 2.20pm, any thoughts on whether I can make the 5pm domestic flight to ADB on TK? Would it make a difference if I don't check any bags?
Thanks!
My sister did exactly the same flights AF-TK (to ADB), this should be enough with 2 separate tickets, but have a backup plan regardless (see if you can get a cheap backup ticket), there are multiple flights during the evening so this should be easy to come up with backup.

Not checking the bags will make little difference, the wait at immigration will be longer. Even if AF is willing to interline the bag all the way to ADB, I'd still recommend picking it up at IST, you should be able to clear immigration, pick up the bag, and get to domestic terminal within 1.5 hours (it gets a lot worse after 4pm), the check-in cut off time will be 4:15pm officially at TK.

Last edited by vincewy; Apr 6, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 7, 2015, 2:35 am

Programs: Turkish E+, Alitalia Freccia Alata Plus
I'm transferring tomorrow at IST.

I have *A Gold and Elite +.

My layover is overnight.

Do they provide a hotel for this period? If so, how do I claim it?

There is a flight that departs from IST to my destination about an hour and half after I arrive on my first flight, so maybe this negates receiving a hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.