Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Turkish Airlines | Miles&Smiles
Reload this Page >

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transferring/Transit at Istanbul Atatürk airport

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:40 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
I'm planning a trip Helsinki-Miami via Istanbul. I know that I will need to clear immigration in Istanbul. Will I also need to re-clear security @ IST.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
I'm planning a trip Helsinki-Miami via Istanbul. I know that I will need to clear immigration in Istanbul. Will I also need to re-clear security @ IST.
Normally yes, but it tends to move quickly since it is dedicated to transfer passengers.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
If you enter Turkey by clearing immigration, you will have to clear security when you re-enter the departures area. However, if you are only transiting, you will be able to transit airside. There will be a security check but no need to go through immigration.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 1:12 am

Are there Fast Track lanes when in transit?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:52 am

You will not have to go through immigration. Whether or not you will have to clear security is rather arbitrary: typically, flights coming from the EU are considered "safe", but there are no guarantees. There are fast tracks for transfer security (and for immigration).

Shuly
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
I'm planning a trip Helsinki-Miami via Istanbul. I know that I will need to clear immigration in Istanbul.
How come?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by duvin
How come?
TK had the best price.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 11:58 am

TK had the best price.
Rather go through immigration at IST?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
TK had the best price.
IST > MIA is a brand new route and they're likely promoting it heavily. They've done this with other newer U.S. destinations over the past year or two.

Keep in mind if you're actually entering Turkey, you'll need a visa.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Just got back from connecting flights on TK. You do NOT need to clear immigration for connecting flights. But please be aware, any kinks or delay can really ruin your connecting flight very quickly especially if they remote park and bus you in. IST can be a real cluster F&*k on the airside with very little room to get around people and run. The terminal is just that crowded and we had to pretty much swim upstream to get to the gate for our flight to LHR.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AC 50K MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by seat38a
Just got back from connecting flights on TK. You do NOT need to clear immigration for connecting flights. But please be aware, any kinks or delay can really ruin your connecting flight very quickly especially if they remote park and bus you in. IST can be a real cluster F&*k on the airside with very little room to get around people and run. The terminal is just that crowded and we had to pretty much swim upstream to get to the gate for our flight to LHR.

- Was your ticket on 1 or 2 PNR's?

- Did you have checked baggage? If so, presumably it was tagged to final destination.

If all travel is on one ticket, we know clearing immigration is not necessary. Thanks.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by YVR guy
If all travel is on one ticket, we know clearing immigration is not necessary. Thanks.
miamiflyer8 doesn't seem to know that...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by YVR guy
- Was your ticket on 1 or 2 PNR's?

- Did you have checked baggage? If so, presumably it was tagged to final destination.

We had luggage and got all our boarding passes at LAX when we checked in.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by duvin
Rather go through immigration at IST?
Yes
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by DudeE
IST > MIA is a brand new route and they're likely promoting it heavily. They've done this with other newer U.S. destinations over the past year or two.

Keep in mind if you're actually entering Turkey, you'll need a visa.
I have an EU passport so a visa will not be an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.