FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

stimpy May 18, 2009 11:41 am

Yeah, Privium is more than just security lines. It's also immigration lines which can be long. And it has parking benefits at Schiphol. I would love to join as I use Schiphol a lot, but as a foreigner I'm not allowed to.

goaliemn May 19, 2009 8:28 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11767506)
Yeah, Privium is more than just security lines. It's also immigration lines which can be long. And it has parking benefits at Schiphol. I would love to join as I use Schiphol a lot, but as a foreigner I'm not allowed to.

I've never had a problem with lines at immigration. They usually move fairly well..

If you're a US citizen, you can get Privium now. I'm expecting AMS to expand it to other countries as its a good income source.

juanvaldez May 19, 2009 4:11 pm

Any benefits while traveling with children / kids?

Folks,

I have signed up for Global Entry as I do a bit of international travel and will appreciate the extra time I would gain.

Since kids / children need to be 14 to become a member, would I gain any benefits if I was traveling with one or both of my children (aged 3 and 1)? What I'm asking is that since they can't get Global Entry, would I be able to skip to the front of the conventional line with them, since I, myself was a member?

If so, is there a limit (i.e. 1 adult with GE gets to skip ahead with 1 child), or can 1 parent with GE skip ahead with both kids?

Personally, I wouldn't be likely to be traveling with both kids, but if my wife took a family trip outside the US, she might be in that situation, so I might sign her up...

Diplomatico May 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Wow, that was awesome!

One hour after I applied for this program on-line, I was approved via on-line message. My message read:

"Dear Diplomatico:

We are please to inform you that your U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry program membership has been approved. You can begin using the program immediately.

Please visit globalentry.gov......"

(Full disclosure: I already have a SENTRI card so that may have expedited the approval process.)

Still, that's impressive. ^

shawbridge May 19, 2009 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11772227)
I've never had a problem with lines at immigration. They usually move fairly well..

If you're a US citizen, you can get Privium now. I'm expecting AMS to expand it to other countries as its a good income source.

Does Privium open to US citizens who live in the US or only those living in the Netherlands?

goaliemn May 20, 2009 7:57 am

Originally Posted by shawbridge (Post 11775689)
Does Privium open to US citizens who live in the US or only those living in the Netherlands?

Those that live in the US and are approved for Global Entry. They seem to be honoring each others background checks.

shawbridge May 20, 2009 8:54 am

Fabulous. We do a fair bit of work in The Hague. I'll recommend to the key guy there that he sign up (I think he signed up for Global Entry at my suggestion) and I will sign up for Privium myself if I start to work there again. Thanks.

GMill May 20, 2009 1:17 pm

I just went to GOES (Global Entry Enrollment Web site), logged in, and clicked on "Enroll in a New Program".
" Global Entry with FLUX Benefit " is grayed out for me. I cannot click on it.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone successfully enrolled in Privium?

I am an approved Global Entry enrollee.

DevilDog438 May 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by GMill (Post 11779921)
I just went to GOES (Global Entry Enrollment Web site), logged in, and clicked on "Enroll in a New Program".
" Global Entry with FLUX Benefit " is grayed out for me. I cannot click on it.

Anyone else had a similar problem? Has anyone successfully enrolled in Privium?

I am an approved Global Entry enrollee.

(emphasis mine)
I just logged in, as a GE member. A note at the bottom of the page reads:

Originally Posted by GOES Member Page
For US citizens wanting to add a country participating in the FLUX alliance to their Global Entry membership, click on the 'Manage membership' button. The option to "Add FLUX Alliance Country' should be available to US citizens.

If I click "Manage Membership," I do have a new blue button which states "Add FLUX Alliance Country." Pressing that button starts the Privium process.

Dovster May 20, 2009 1:24 pm

What other FLUX Alliance countries are there? I thought that until April 2010 it would be limited to the US and the Netherlands.

DevilDog438 May 20, 2009 1:28 pm

Per the FLUX page, only US/Netherlands currently. Must be US or Dutch citizen, until the end of the Pilot Period (April 2010), when the program opens to other nations.

GMill May 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Duh!

Thanks DD438.

LessO2 May 20, 2009 1:40 pm

How many people will be able to enroll in Flux? What is the capacity?

In other words, what is the Flux Capacitor?

DevilDog438 May 20, 2009 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11780073)
How many people will be able to enroll in Flux? What is the capacity?

In other words, what is the Flux Capacitor?

1.21 GigaPeeps? (sorry, could not resist)

trojanman May 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Returned BGI-MIA a couple weeks back and was first through immigration. I had never been to MIA international arrivals before and did not see the GE machine despite looking all over for it.

Felt like an idiot since there was no line anyway. I went to an open agent's station and asked him if there were any GE machines here and he pointed to one hidden behind a structural column. D'oh! Since I was already there I just skipped the machine and had him process me back in.

No questions asked, no secondary review even though this was my 3rd 1-night trip to the Caribbean in 2 months (I got hassled on the previous 2). Don't know if the agent was lazy or if he saw my GE status on his computer, but it was a breeze getting through MIA.

Now I just have to look for the GE machine harder next time!