FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

stimpy Jun 2, 2009 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11843120)
As a reminder, GOES is not a trusted traveler program, nor a "card." GOES is simply a web-based application system that you can use to apply for various trusted traveler programs, including GlobalEntry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST.

OK, but with GOES I will get some marking in my passport and be able to do the retina-thing, right?

Upon further reading of the Flex program, there are US CPB GOES agents staffed at Schiphol so it seems I can get at least registered with GOES at AMS. Whatever the heck that means. I'll worry about this once my application is accepted. ;)

goaliemn Jun 2, 2009 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11843641)
OK, but with GOES I will get some marking in my passport and be able to do the retina-thing, right?

there may be a privium card. You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry. There is nothing issued for "GOES" GOES is the mechanism to sign up for trusted travel program.

Upon further reading of the Flex program, there are US CPB GOES agents staffed at Schiphol so it seems I can get at least registered with GOES at AMS. Whatever the heck that means. I'll worry about this once my application is accepted. ;)
You register with GOES on the web. You visit a US CBP office for an interview.

Ari Jun 2, 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11843120)
As a reminder, GOES is not a trusted traveler program, nor a "card." GOES is simply a web-based application system that you can use to apply for various trusted traveler programs, including GlobalEntry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST.

An excellent reminder. ^

GOES = Global Online Enrollment System. (Computer Program/Website)

stimpy Jun 2, 2009 1:07 pm

Yes I registered with GOES on the Flex website and paid something like a €79 GOES fee plus the Flex fee plus Dutch VAT for a total of €100

OskiBear Jun 2, 2009 1:59 pm

The agent who did my in-person interview suggested I keep a mostly filled-out customs form in my passport in case the machine is down, etc.

That way, I don't lose any time and just input the flight info, sign and date and it's ready to go.

Looking forward to using this weekend on a MR to FRA through IAD!

chollie Jun 2, 2009 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11844450)
You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry.

Not necessarily. I renewed my expired NEXUS. Then I applied for (no additional cost) Global Entry. I was approved and used it at the kiosk at IAH a week later. Because I already had NEXUS, I didn't have to go for an interview/scans. There was a CBP person at the kiosk, but no comments about my non-existent sticker.

Diplomatico Jun 2, 2009 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11844450)
You do get a sticker in your passport for Global Entry.

No sticker in my passport for GE.

Lurker1999 Jun 2, 2009 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11845015)
No sticker in my passport for GE.

You can stop by any of the enrollment stations and they'll give you a small "CBP" sticker to attach to the back of your passport. This will alert a CBP officer that you're enrolled in GE if the kiosks are not functional.

uavking Jun 2, 2009 10:26 pm

As a recent data point, used Global Entry at LAX yesterday coming back on UA from SYD. Was towards the back in E+ but appeared to be the first using the GE kiosk. As such, passed a number of people that were up in C, at least so far as I was able to tell. Got to Customs exit within the first couple of people off of the bird (Customs officer was still smoking and joking when I got up there). Was GE worth it? Mos def. :cool:

goaliemn Jun 3, 2009 7:53 am

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 11844974)
Not necessarily. I renewed my expired NEXUS. Then I applied for (no additional cost) Global Entry. I was approved and used it at the kiosk at IAH a week later. Because I already had NEXUS, I didn't have to go for an interview/scans. There was a CBP person at the kiosk, but no comments about my non-existent sticker.

I did the same thing (nexus user added free global entry). I went to one of the interview locations (ATL) and they put a sticker in my passport for me. Its supposed to let you use the crew lines when the machines are down.

I see others already covered it as well.

milepig Jun 3, 2009 12:09 pm

Just an update on my application. I'm at the 2 weeks plus point, and my status is still "pending review". They had no problem charging my CC the $100, however.

ESpen36 Jun 3, 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 11850250)
Just an update on my application. I'm at the 2 weeks plus point, and my status is still "pending review". They had no problem charging my CC the $100, however.

Depending on a number of factors, it could take a bit longer for them to complete your background investigation. These factors include:
- how frequently you travel into/out of the country
- how complex your address/employment history is
- whether you have a record of any kind with any federal, state, or local authorities--any kind of criminal convictions could disqualify you, especially if they involved smuggling or another high-risk crime from the perspective of travel/transportation
- whether you have ever been found in violation of immigration/customs regulations
- how easy/difficult it is to verify the details you provided on your application

ESpen36 Jun 3, 2009 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11843641)

Actually, no in both cases. You will get a little sticker for the back of your passport (either at the interview, or by stopping by any enrollment office after you have been approved for membership). But this sticker is not required in order to use the kiosks.

Secondly, CBP does not use retina scans for GlobalEntry. Instead, you use digital fingerprints to confirm your identity at the kiosks. You might be thinking of NEXUS, which uses retina scans at the machines located at airports inside Canada.

nrr Jun 4, 2009 12:02 am

Reading this thread got me interested in GE, I have two questions: (1)If an airport is listed does that mean that all terminals are included--JFK is listed, but they don't specify if aa (terminal 8) has a kiosk, (2)If you renew your passport during the 5 year period, do you have to reapply (and pay the fee again:td:)?

hoops7k Jun 4, 2009 1:40 am

1. I believe so.
2. They told me to just stop back by one of the offices with the new passport and they would update it in the computer.