FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

Roy2CDG Apr 13, 2009 8:36 pm

if I use Global Entry, will I never get another US entry stamp again? :(

SNA_Flyer Apr 13, 2009 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by AceAirspeed (Post 11569618)
Does anyone know if at LAX the GE kiosk is available in the T6/T7 immigration facility, or is it only available at TBIT?

I don't fly into those terminals, but I have seen them in TBIT and T4. I'd speculate that the other FIS areas have them too.

FlyingHoustonian Apr 19, 2009 8:25 am

an article about the project at IAH
http://www.fly2houston.com/0/1753907/0/1906D1934/

Global Entry proves successful at IAH
Houston Airport System
April 15, 2009

Almost one year into its existence and the “Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program” is proving to be an amazing success story, especially at George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH).

Thousands of international passengers have signed up for the expedited entry into the United States since its inception and Houston leads the nation in both registration and usage.

The initiative was launched last June, as U.S. Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-TX) joined then-Secretary of Homeland Security Michael Cherthoff for a Houston news conference explaining how “Global Entry” would work.

U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents who were frequent international travelers and who had not been found guilty of a criminal offense, charged with a customs or immigration offense, or been declared inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration legislation, could apply for expedited screening and processing into the country.

Upon returning into the United States, those enrolled in the program could bypass the regular passport line and proceed directly to the Global Entry kiosks.

“I think the Global Entry Program allows returning citizens of the United States to have a warm and friendly welcome,” said Congresswoman Jackson-Lee. “But at the same time, it ensures that those that enter the United States, even returning citizens, have a secure passage.”

In addition to passport verification, program members also provide biometric data to employees with the U.S. Department of Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

This information is then run through a database system where a positive match is made and a digital photograph is taken for record keeping.

“Travelers get through the line much quicker,” says Richard Vacar, director of aviation for the Houston Airport System (HAS). “This process takes a fourth of the actual time that it would take to go through the customs process with a CBP officer.”

IAH leads the nation in both registration and usage of the Global Entry program.

And Vacar says it’s no surprise that the partnership between HAS and CBP is producing such impressive results.

IAH was selected as one of three airports in the United States to launch the program, partly because of its sheer size.

The Federal Inspection Facility (FIS) at IAH is the largest facility of its kind in the nation and was also the location for the first “Model Port” in the country, another pilot program designed to increase international travel into the United States.

Ciao,
FH

hoops7k Apr 19, 2009 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Roy2CDG (Post 11576615)
if I use Global Entry, will I never get another US entry stamp again? :(

Correct. You don't even talk to an agent until you get to the customs exit.
I found that early this year before I had global entry that most places don't stamp your passport on re-entry anyway. This includes sfo,lax,sea.

hoops7k Apr 19, 2009 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by AceAirspeed (Post 11569618)
Does anyone know if at LAX the GE kiosk is available in the T6/T7 immigration facility, or is it only available at TBIT?

I used on 890 from Nrt about 2 weeks ago. I think 890 returns through terminal 7.

bowdenj Apr 20, 2009 12:03 am

Signed up today (04/19/09) - wow lots of double checking making sure I filled in GOES data correctly.

Had to order from MN birth cert since mine is somewhere (handy to have notary/law office across the hall at work).

Being a junior - after doing this exercise I realized D.L. versus Passport vs. Birth Cert. on my name. Ugh.

SNA_Flyer Apr 20, 2009 9:00 pm

So I completed my interview several days ago, and used it for my first entry the other day. Overall, I'm impressed.

The sign up and approval process were quick, as was the final approval right after my interview. The interview was quick - the only interesting part was when he read a list of countries that I had declared that I had visited. I had quite a list of mostly European, Asian, and South America. He didn't read the entire list back that I had declared, but just a selection. It included Turkey, UAE, Thailand, Indonesia, Cambodia - inquiring what purpose I was in those specific countries for (there were more but he rambled them off pretty quickly and I can't specifically remember the others). These countries must be on their red flag list for what ever reason. I replied that I was there for holiday and it was satisfactory.

My first entry using GE was seamless - scan passport, index fingers, and a quick few taps of the screen and the machine spit out a entry card. I was the first one through Customs. Gave them the card and I was on my way. Not a single snarky question that they usually always ask. That's the best part of the whole process.

I was a little apprehensive about giving up my personal info for this - but it's nothing the government doesn't already have on file from my security clearance data. I wouldn't do this with a private entity such as CLEAR, however.

Overall, I like. Should have done it earlier.

FlyingHoustonian Apr 20, 2009 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer (Post 11616121)

I was a little apprehensive about giving up my personal info for this - but it's nothing the government doesn't already have on file from my security clearance data. I wouldn't do this with a private entity such as CLEAR, however.

Overall, I like.

Ditto, I agree and have been quite happy with the program. Ditto the Gov't and the clearance and not using Clear!

Occasionally my passport won't scan but they always send me to the front of the line so it is fast either way.

Ciao,
FH

LessO2 Apr 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 11616351)
Ditto, I agree and have been quite happy with the program. Ditto the Gov't and the clearance and not using Clear!

Thirded.

hoops7k Apr 21, 2009 2:42 am

I decided to sign up for the program after waiting in a long line and then getting questioned by 3 separate agents in SEA when returning from BKK(guess I shouldn't wear a baseball hat and hoodie). I have to agree with everyone that I am very happy with signing up and my last three entrances to the US have been great. I think on average I have been out of customs in 15 mins or less but I don't check bags anyway. It has helped me fly past the long lines at ord and lax in the past month.

Dovster Apr 21, 2009 3:13 am

Israel has a similar system. It is free and you don't need to go to an interview (a records check is done on you).

Yes, it does save me waiting in the passport control line -- but the time I save there is eaten up by waiting for my luggage to appear on the carousel.

SNA_Flyer Apr 21, 2009 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Dovster (Post 11617137)
but the time I save there is eaten up by waiting for my luggage to appear on the carousel.

And yes, this is the problem with these systems. I've never been to TLV, but if their baggage handling is as horrendous as most US airports, you would only save time if you had a carry on (or the Customs line was ridiculously long).

If only every airport could operate like HKG or SIN, where your baggage is on the carousel before you get there.

drbala Apr 30, 2009 10:29 am

Excellent Program

I applied online approved in 10 days and got an interview at JFK within 24 hours window. Agent a doppelganger of Tom Hanks very relaxed and pleasant. Finished and approved in 17 minutes with lots and lots of smiles and politeness. The office is located next to luggage re booking facility and clearly sign posted as GOES. Chairs available and when you report your interviewing agent comes down and asks to fill another sets of forms. Keep a pen handy
Used first time on arrival at JFK AA terminal. Two signs pointing opposite directions. Went to the wrong one and pleasantly redirected to the next one. Total of 4 Kiosks.Took 90 seconds. Luggage took 10 more minutes and walked out to rebook the luggage with AA without any hassle what soever.
Much better than LHR's iris recognition system which has never worked for me and gives neck pain

FlyingHoustonian Apr 30, 2009 11:12 am

another quick and happy GE story by me:
Used it again yesterday after an LHR-IAH flight. No one in line at the two kiosks, but an agent came up to see if I needed "help". He was very nice and it took me about 45 seconds to complete the form. Receipt printed per normal and the agent said Welcome Home and I was on my way to baggage claim, which is just as nice because at IAH you get a seperate line to walkout of the facility with GE. I went to the front of a line 25 deep and was on my way. I love the program.

As an aside, It seems the Dutch are going to get to use it as well.

Ciao,
FH

You want to go where? Apr 30, 2009 5:21 pm

Interesting to read all the paeans of praise with regard to Dulles. I can't think of a time that I haven't beaten my luggage going through immigration. Normally, I get through immigration in 5 minutes, 10 at the most. Maybe it's just the timing of the particular flights I use (all coming from Europe).

Not saying the GE system doesn't work, just not seeing how it would add value for me.