FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

Roy2CDG Mar 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11452785)
Picked up my sticker at JFK today! In fact, the officer was in such a good mood, he gave me 2 stickers! ("one for good luck")

From my perspective, it means that I won't have to go back to pick up another sticker when I renew my passport in 2012. ^

can you post a picture of what the sticker looks like? (black out any
personal data, of course) :)

LessO2 Mar 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Roy2CDG (Post 11494935)
can you post a picture of what the sticker looks like? (black out any
personal data, of course) :)

It's an approximately 2.5 inch wide by 1 inch high white sticker with simple blue lettering saying "CBP."

That's it, nothing else on it.

LessO2 Mar 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by goingbananas (Post 11494416)
Good deal. ^
Thanks. No checked bags. Coming in from EZE in the am with a 1:45 connection time.

Plenty of time. Enjoy.

ESpen36 Mar 30, 2009 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11494975)
It's an approximately 2.5 inch wide by 1 inch high white sticker with simple blue lettering saying "CBP."

That's it, nothing else on it.

Wow...my stickers are much smaller. Perhaps 3/4" wide by 1/2" tall. Very small white sticker with simple blue lettering that says "CBP." No personal details at all.

I'm starting to think that it might not be worth much, but some members have commented on this forum that some locations require you to show the sticker in order to use the crew line or skip to the front of the line if the kiosks are not functioning.

ll22949 Apr 5, 2009 7:20 pm

Had my interview today, the officer was very friendly and it was painless. I did inquire as to the process when my passport expires next year. Once I receive the new passport, I need to call the office and stop by to allow them to update the info. It must be done in person, but not appointment is necessary--just call ahead.

ESpen36 Apr 5, 2009 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by ll22949 (Post 11533266)
Had my interview today, the officer was very friendly and it was painless. I did inquire as to the process when my passport expires next year. Once I receive the new passport, I need to call the office and stop by to allow them to update the info. It must be done in person, but not appointment is necessary--just call ahead.

Is it the same for NEXUS, does anyone know? When I had my interview, the officer said that I would have to stop by in person to have them update my record and print me a new NEXUS card showing my new passport number. But, I just got my new (WHTI-compliant) NEXUS card and it does not have my passport number printed on it. So, my hope is that I can simply call in with my new passport number to have my record updated. Does anyone know?

(It's obviously a nuisance to claim an award ticket and fly all the way up to Canada for the day just to visit the NEXUS enrollment centre.)

goaliemn Apr 6, 2009 7:52 am

I finally got my global entry sticker. I've had nexus for years and had a log layover in ATL.. went to the customs office.. waited about 45 mins for an officer to show up, they took my passport and were amazed everything was already scanned in, even tho I told them that was done for Nexus.

They didn't really explain much more to me however.. Do I just flash the sticker at any airport entry point and use the crew line? Or is it only at global entry points?

thezipper Apr 6, 2009 9:59 am

I did my interview last week and got both of my passports enrolled, though it took the officer a few minutes on how to add the second one in my profile. Now to see how it all works in 2 weeks!

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 11492160)
I did my interview at JFK last week, and it took fewer than 15 minutes. The officer was really friendly, and said that the program is meeting enrollment and usage expectations. I'll get to have my first entry at IAD next week... which will allow me more time to wait for my luggage :o

SanDiego1K Apr 6, 2009 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11535223)
They didn't really explain much more to me however.. Do I just flash the sticker at any airport entry point and use the crew line? Or is it only at global entry points?

It was my understanding that it is for airports with Global Entry machines. You go to the machine and have it scan your passport. If the machine malfunctions, you can then use the crew line and show the sticker on your passport.

I'll be happy to be corrected and told it can be used more broadly.

SNA_Flyer Apr 9, 2009 10:33 am

Applied yesterday, and I'm showing conditionally approved today. Scheduled my interview prior to an international flight next week. I'm looking forward to this after the loss of INSPASS (although not necessarily the loss of $100 out of my pocket, INSPASS was free).

Ari Apr 9, 2009 11:12 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11452785)
Picked up my sticker at JFK today! In fact, the officer was in such a good mood, he gave me 2 stickers! ("one for good luck")

From my perspective, it means that I won't have to go back to pick up another sticker when I renew my passport in 2012. ^

Except you will have to visit a GE center because you will have to enroll that travel document (new passport) in GE.

chollie Apr 9, 2009 4:26 pm

Has anyone applied for NEXUS lately? I signed up right after Canpass got discontinued. My original NEXUS expired in November, 2007. I applied for a 'new' one (referenced the original expired one). It's been two weeks now, and I'm still in 'pending review' status.

I_Can_Fly_US_Airways Apr 9, 2009 9:58 pm

Easy Answer...

Let's see...

Be in line for upwards to an hour while while standing beside someone who smells like they just cooked a goat in horse urnine OR wiz through customs in less than a minute, hmmmm????

wxguy Apr 11, 2009 5:22 pm

I did my first Global Entry at IAD this past Thursday.

Murphy's Law! I was the first off the plane, and first into Immigration. There was no one on any of the lines. But since I was going to have to wait for my checked bag anyway, I walked up to the GE kiosk, and self-processed. It worked fine -- about one minute all inclusive. And then the 30-minute wait for the luggage...

When I handed the GE kiosk print-out to the Customs officer, he asked "How's it working out for you?" I replied, "First time, so far, so good." He said, "Welcome home, wxguy." I guess the $100 was worth it just to have a Customs official say that :cool:

AceAirspeed Apr 12, 2009 3:30 pm

LAX Question

Does anyone know if at LAX the GE kiosk is available in the T6/T7 immigration facility, or is it only available at TBIT?