FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

chollie May 20, 2009 7:36 pm

I renewed my NEXUS card a few weeks ago. As soon as my renewal cleared, I signed up for GOES. It was approved next day with a message saying I could start using it immediately. No mention of a sticker for my passport, and of course, because I already have NEXUS, there won't be any interview.

I'll get to try it out for the first time next week coming back through IAH.

stimpy May 21, 2009 1:13 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11777923)
Those that live in the US and are approved for Global Entry. They seem to be honoring each others background checks.

Huh? According to http://www.schiphol.com/AtSchiphol/P...terPrivium.htm

Who can join Privium?
You can become a Privium member if you:

- are in possession of a passport from one of the countries in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

I live in Europe, but am a US citizen so it seems I can't be a member of either program. :(

stimpy May 21, 2009 1:52 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11772227)
I'm expecting AMS to expand it to other countries as its a good income source.

Privium is run by a privatised company now so the Dutch government isn't involved anymore. And they have been trying for a few years now to get other countries to use this program but have obviously failed. Even with AF buying KL, they can't get CDG to buy in.

goaliemn May 21, 2009 7:14 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11783132)
I live in Europe, but am a US citizen so it seems I can't be a member of either program. :(

I thought US Citizens living abroad could join Global Entry..

stimpy May 21, 2009 7:18 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11783954)
I thought US Citizens living abroad could join Global Entry..

Sorry, to be more clear I can't sign up for it remotely. And the only airport I visit in the US is LAX which doesn't seem to have Global Entry. I don't know if it is possible or not as an American living abroad.

Diplomatico May 21, 2009 8:24 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11783980)
Sorry, to be more clear I can't sign up for it remotely. And the only airport I visit in the US is LAX which doesn't seem to have Global Entry. I don't know if it is possible or not as an American living abroad.

According to the fact sheet, LAX is one of the airports with Global Entry.

milepig May 21, 2009 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11775664)
One hour after I applied for this program on-line, I was approved via on-line message. My message read:

"Dear Diplomatico:

We are please to inform you that your U.S. Customs and Border Protection, Global Entry program membership has been approved. You can begin using the program immediately.

Please visit globalentry.gov......"

(Full disclosure: I already have a SENTRI card so that may have expedited the approval process.)

Still, that's impressive. ^

Really? I applied last Saturday and I'm still "pending review". Hmmm. I suspect it might indeed be the SENTRI card.

stimpy May 21, 2009 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 11784445)
According to the fact sheet, LAX is one of the airports with Global Entry.

Really? That's news to me. Good news in fact.

So if I am visiting LAX only for a few days, can I get one of these? Can I tell them I will be flying in on such and such a date and make an appt?

DevilDog438 May 21, 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 11784694)
Really? That's news to me. Good news in fact.

So if I am visiting LAX only for a few days, can I get one of these? Can I tell them I will be flying in on such and such a date and make an appt?

You have to complete the application through GOES prior to scheduling an appointment. However, if you are cleared for the interview, you should be able to do a walk-in, as well.

DevilDog438 May 21, 2009 9:11 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 11784611)
Really? I applied last Saturday and I'm still "pending review". Hmmm. I suspect it might indeed be the SENTRI card.

Could be SENTRI, NEXUS or an existing federal security clearance. Mine was conditionally approved within 6 hours of the initial application and I only have the last of those three in place.

stimpy May 23, 2009 1:10 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11772227)
I've never had a problem with lines at immigration. They usually move fairly well..

I'm at AMS now and there are huge lines going both in and out of Schengen at the transit point. Privium would have saved me 20 minutes waiting in line and I might have gotten a shower in the Crown Club. But they are full up now. :(

colevalleytim May 24, 2009 1:00 pm

At SFO?

Is this system up and running at SFO?

hoops7k May 24, 2009 5:46 pm

Global Entry is great. I arrived at lax today on 890 from nrt at 11:02. I was outside customs on the escalator upstairs at 11:11 with carry on only. Having used this 5 times in the last two months I don't think I have been in customs for longer then 15 mins.

Originally Posted by colevalleytim (Post 11798286)
Is this system up and running at SFO?

There has been no announcement on the website. I was told by the cbp officer at ord that they would send a message though the online system when it was up. I have avoided sfo and sea lately on tpac's just because I don't want to deal with long waits. They said they were going to bring alot more places online by the end of the year.

Diplomatico May 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by hoops7k (Post 11799136)
Global Entry is great. I arrived at lax today on 890 from nrt at 11:02. I was outside customs on the escalator upstairs at 11:11 with carry on only. Having used this 5 times in the last two months I don't think I have been in customs for longer then 15 mins.

Agreed, this is awesome. I was through IAD today in less than two mins.

Question: do you or do you not have to fill out the paper customs declaration form when using GE? You answer the customs questions at the kiosk but the customs agent at the end of the hall seemed confused that I even used Global Entry and told me I still had to have a paper customs form. (This is contrary to the Customs and Border Protection website information that says you don't need a paper copy.)

Any recent experiences?

DevilDog438 May 25, 2009 2:51 pm

I fill out the Customs form anyway, in case the machines are not working (as it will be required in that instance.

In two transits through IAD and one through ATL, I have never been hassled for any forms, merely presented my kiosk recent and sent on my way.