FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

LessO2 Apr 30, 2009 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where? (Post 11673888)
Interesting to read all the paeans of praise with regard to Dulles. I can't think of a time that I haven't beaten my luggage going through immigration. Normally, I get through immigration in 5 minutes, 10 at the most. Maybe it's just the timing of the particular flights I use (all coming from Europe).

Not saying the GE system doesn't work, just not seeing how it would add value for me.

Speaking for UA alone, there are about six flights that come in 30 minutes of each other (from BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, LHR, ZRH) between 2:45 and 3:15 p.m. Get in the middle or the tail end of that, and you'll be waiting for awhile.

From what I can tell, GE also allows you to walk on the outside of the regular lines to hand in your form to the Customs person at the podium.

Not to discount your feeling or observations, but experiences can widely vary.

FlyingHoustonian Apr 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11674023)
From what I can tell, GE also allows you to walk on the outside of the regular lines to hand in your form to the Customs person at the podium.

Well, as I noted a few posts ago, I know this is true at Houston IAH (and it is a great thing for me!). I am not sure about the other GE airports setups.

Ciao,
FH

DevilDog438 May 1, 2009 9:14 am

10 minutes from plane to secure side at ATL yesterday following DL56 landing.

The way it is set at ATL:
  1. There are a pair of GE machines at the end of the Immigration line, next to the Diplomat/Crew line (follow those signs and you will get there quicker than winding past the masses)
  2. Once you have your receipt and luggage, you get to use the GE/Crew line at the Customs CP as well, which bypasses the masses

spaceman May 1, 2009 9:27 am

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian (Post 11674220)
Well, as I noted a few posts ago, I know this is true at Houston IAH (and it is a great thing for me!). I am not sure about the other GE airports setups.

Ciao,
FH

I know it is true at IAD. After about my third time throught I think the Customs checkers were finally up to speed on the program and the agent toreup my paper declaration, took my slip from the GE Kiosk and told me no need to stand in line, just scoot up to the front.

Also asked at the CBP GE office at IAD the other day about using Crew line if it is broke and they said no but just go to the first available Immigration station. So I guess the thing to remember is always have the paper declaration form filled out in case.

trojanman May 1, 2009 5:41 pm

I applied and was approved for it after a recent re-entry hassle for a 1 night MR to MGA.

Sadly, it does NOT help you out when you do a 1 night mileage run to the caribbean...you still look like a drug dealer and get sent to secondary review. That's always fun. :(

I told the guy at secondary review that I was a GE trusted traveler and he said "That doesn't mean nothin." Great...I'm so glad I paid $100, went through a background check, and gave you all my biometric information.

LessO2 May 1, 2009 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by trojanman (Post 11679868)
I applied and was approved for it after a recent re-entry hassle for a 1 night MR to MGA.

Sadly, it does NOT help you out when you do a 1 night mileage run to the caribbean...you still look like a drug dealer and get sent to secondary review. That's always fun. :(

I told the guy at secondary review that I was a GE trusted traveler and he said "That doesn't mean nothin." Great...I'm so glad I paid $100, went through a background check, and gave you all my biometric information.

Actually, I think it does mean something, just depends on who you get. GE won't exempt you from encountering a jackass once in awhile.

I re-entered the U.S. at SFO about a month ago. Asked the guy at Immigration about GE there. His mood lightened up after mentioning that, as if I really am a "trusted traveler."

Superguy May 1, 2009 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11202171)
The GAO has lauded DHS and TSA for its privacy of personal data.

They may protect it, but it still doesn't mean they're not data mining the crap out of it looking for terrywrists or abusing it other ways. It just means they're not giving it to anyone else and are trying to protect it from others.

You want to go where? May 2, 2009 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 11674023)
Speaking for UA alone, there are about six flights that come in 30 minutes of each other (from BRU, CDG, FCO, FRA, LHR, ZRH) between 2:45 and 3:15 p.m. Get in the middle or the tail end of that, and you'll be waiting for awhile.

Not to discount your feeling or observations, but experiences can widely vary.

Thanks for your detailed response. I am aware that experiences can vary, and appreciate the information you provided that help me understand why and how they vary. ^ I am still not quite ready to sign up, but I will continue to monitor my own experience based on my flight patterns and the information you added about the customs clearance and see if it is worth it to me.

drummingcraig May 7, 2009 7:28 pm

ORD interview question

I was wondering if anyone here has interviewed at ORD and if so, where is the office located and how long did the process take?

I paid and submitted my application this afternoon, and I was hoping to do the interview at ORD during a two hour layover on my way to NRT later this month. Just curious is this is even possible based on location, logistics, etc.

Thanks,

Craig

hoops7k May 8, 2009 12:55 am

Originally Posted by drummingcraig (Post 11713709)
I was wondering if anyone here has interviewed at ORD and if so, where is the office located and how long did the process take?

I paid and submitted my application this afternoon, and I was hoping to do the interview at ORD during a two hour layover on my way to NRT later this month. Just curious is this is even possible based on location, logistics, etc.

Thanks,

Craig

Chicago O’Hare International Airport
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
1000 Bessie Coleman Drive
Terminal 5 – Lower Level
Chicago, IL 60666
Telephone: (773) 894-2900 x0
Monday - Friday 1000 to 1800

Once you exit customs and turn right and it is right there on your right.

I did my interview at Ord. I think with the time it took to take the train to terminal 5, have the interview and return to domestic terminal was under an hour. I went in and told the officer I had an appointment.2 minutes later I was answering the basic questions and taking finger prints. Then they run you through how to use the machine and your on your way. It was around 15-20 minutes in the interview and your done.

drummingcraig May 8, 2009 9:20 am

Originally Posted by hoops7k (Post 11714787)
Chicago O’Hare International Airport
U.S. Customs and Border Protection
1000 Bessie Coleman Drive
Terminal 5 – Lower Level
Chicago, IL 60666
Telephone: (773) 894-2900 x0
Monday - Friday 1000 to 1800

Once you exit customs and turn right and it is right there on your right.

I did my interview at Ord. I think with the time it took to take the train to terminal 5, have the interview and return to domestic terminal was under an hour. I went in and told the officer I had an appointment.2 minutes later I was answering the basic questions and taking finger prints. Then they run you through how to use the machine and your on your way. It was around 15-20 minutes in the interview and your done.

Yeah I just got my "pre-approval" notice so I went ahead and scheduled my appt. I am scheduled to land in "UA Land" at 9:40am and I have a UA international flight at 12:30pm so I set my appt for 10:30am. Hopefully everything runs on time...I should be good.

milepig May 16, 2009 10:48 am

Since I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere on this thread, when I applied online just now I was able to sign up for GE+ (or something like that) which promises access to similar programs in other countries. It looks like only the Netherlands is linked in at the moment, but that's perfect for me as AMS is my preferred European entry point. There is mention of an additional fee, but I'm not sure how much that is, since I apparently need to get the GE process finalized first. I'll ask about Privium whenever I go to ORD to have my interview. It sounds like more countries may join over time.

goaliemn May 18, 2009 7:55 am

Its approx $100/yr for Privium, which is the Netherland programs.

StewieD May 18, 2009 10:31 am

Originally Posted by goaliemn (Post 11766339)
Its approx $100/yr for Privium, which is the Netherland programs.

Security lines in Amsterdam are so short you don't even have to worry.

LessO2 May 18, 2009 10:35 am

Originally Posted by StewieD (Post 11767163)
Security lines in Amsterdam are so short you don't even have to worry.

Has nothing to do with security lines.