FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

heffa Feb 21, 2009 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lurker1999 (Post 11297760)
As of a week ago it was. No indications it's changing. I'm having friends apply for NEXUS with plans to complete the interview, iris scan and fingerprints to apply for GE after completing enrollment.

I'm a current NEXUS "member" and I just completed the GE application. Nowhere any mention of additional fees. :D

DevilDog438 Feb 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 11298498)
It certainly is for those who come into the UA at IAD and get stuck having to tolerate the madness that is IAD international arrivals.

When I got back from NRT on my last trip, I was off the bus @1501 and out of the Daily Garage at 1532 courtesy of GE.

heffa Feb 22, 2009 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by heffa (Post 11299405)
I'm a current NEXUS "member" and I just completed the GE application. Nowhere any mention of additional fees. :D

BTW, my GE application was almost instantaneous approved! ^

MileHigh Mar 3, 2009 9:21 am

I did the GE on-line application via GOES on Saturday, 28 February and received an email notification to schedule my interview yesterday, 02 March, and had my interview at 8am this morning at MIA. CBP Officer told me I should have final acceptance by the end of today.

The CBP sticker does allow you to go to the front of the Passport line if you get a "X" (which means you have been randomly selected to be checked by a CBP Officer) but also allows you to go the the front of the line after baggage claim and if you are directed to the baggage inspection area.

Going to the front of the line will be interesting since many are not aware of this program. The CBP Officer at the MIA GE Office joked and told me to just say "CIA, make way...".

The GE Kiosks at the D/E MIA Passport area are located in the rear next to the "Customer Service" desks.

BTW, I was also told CBP has been checking finger prints of resident aliens which has resulted in a huge increase in the number of arrests. Finger print checking will begin for US Citizens soon (no specific date given).

entropy Mar 3, 2009 3:57 pm

Just got my final approval for Nexus yesterday, they told me the card will arrive in 10 days.
:D
now, how do you go about getting GE for free?

Lurker1999 Mar 3, 2009 4:03 pm

Just reapply through GOES. It should automatically approve you.

shawbridge Mar 4, 2009 12:26 pm

I did GE first and got approved. Then I applied for Nexus. I still need to do the interview, which I'll do on my next trip to Toronto. I learned (too late) that if I should had done it in the other order, my total fee would have been lower, but so it GOES.

uavking Mar 4, 2009 6:55 pm

Anyone know the quickest way to get from ATL Concourse E gate level (i.e. the CRC) down to the Global Entry enrollment center? Here's to hoping that half an hour (1150 arrival and a 1220 appt) is enough time to move from A to E and down to the office...

Also, I see that for those who applied off of a previous NEXUS app the expiration date for GE follows the NEXUS expiration. What about those doing GE standalone, does it expire when one's passport expires or does it carry over to a renewed passport?

DevilDog438 Mar 4, 2009 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by uavking (Post 11362498)
Anyone know the quickest way to get from ATL Concourse E gate level (i.e. the CRC) down to the Global Entry enrollment center? Here's to hoping that half an hour (1150 arrival and a 1220 appt) is enough time to move from A to E and down to the office...

Also, I see that for those who applied off of a previous NEXUS app the expiration date for GE follows the NEXUS expiration. What about those doing GE standalone, does it expire when one's passport expires or does it carry over to a renewed passport?

30 minutes should be plenty of time to get from one end to the other of ATL (DL uses 35 minutes as a legal connection cutoff, assuming time to get from one end of E to the opposite end of A). The train will get you to E in about 10 minutes.

As far as the expiration, sorry - my passport expires well after my GE sticker will.

geoflyer Mar 4, 2009 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by uavking (Post 11362498)

The GE enrollment center is on the arrivals level, E-terminal. To enter you go up from the subway to the mid level, go to the information desk near the outlet from the international arrivals security scan and get a pass to go into the international area. The office is opposite the entrance to the international security lines. Unfortunately you are now on the wrong side of security, and must go back through the normal security process to get anywhere at all. If there is a flush out of customs then you could get caught behind a line.

spaceman Mar 4, 2009 9:44 pm

There is no doubt in my mind but GE is absolutely worth the $100. In fact the last time through IAD I noticed that 2 of the cockpit crew from my flight were also using the GE kiosk.

Not only does it allow you to bypass the long lines for immigrations but when you pickup your bag you do not need to wait in the queue to give the customs agent your declaration card. At least at IAD you go to the left side of the check point (adjacent to the wall) and go right to the head of the line and just hand the customs agent your receipt from the GE kiosk, that is as long as it does not have the dreaded X on it, and scoot. :cool:

ESpen36 Mar 4, 2009 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by spaceman (Post 11363248)
There is no doubt in my mind but GE is absolutely worth the $100. In fact the last time through IAD I noticed that 2 of the cockpit crew from my flight were also using the GE kiosk.

I saw the same thing at ORD last month! Apparently the pilots have realized how valuable GE membership can be.

Not only does it allow you to bypass the long lines for immigrations but when you pickup your bag you do not need to wait in the queue to give the customs agent your declaration card. At least at IAD you go to the left side of the check point (adjacent to the wall) and go right to the head of the line and just hand the customs agent your receipt from the GE kiosk, that is as long as it does not have the dreaded X on it, and scoot. :cool:

This information is very good! I hope that pretty soon they will have dedicated lanes for GE folks to get out of customs at the big stations.

Howgart Mar 5, 2009 4:05 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 11363349)
This information is very good! I hope that pretty soon they will have dedicated lanes for GE folks to get out of customs at the big stations.

Last 2 times trying to exit JFK (last week and the week before) neither agent I handed my receipt to, had a clue what it was. Both times as I approached, the agents said "Customs declaration form" upon which I handed over my kiosk receipt. Both times, the response I got was "what's this?" First time, the agent had to call over a supervisor. Last time, after I responded "It's from the GE kiosk" his answer was "whatever" and he waved me through. Seems as if they don't see that many of these at the AA terminal. Back through today. so we'll see what happens this time!

spaceman Mar 5, 2009 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Howgart (Post 11364183)
Last 2 times trying to exit JFK (last week and the week before) neither agent I handed my receipt to, had a clue what it was. Both times as I approached, the agents said "Customs declaration form" upon which I handed over my kiosk receipt. Both times, the response I got was "what's this?" First time, the agent had to call over a supervisor. Last time, after I responded "It's from the GE kiosk" his answer was "whatever" and he waved me through. Seems as if they don't see that many of these at the AA terminal. Back through today. so we'll see what happens this time!

I agree, there is a learning process and it is obviously slow. First time through IAD I had both the GE Slip and the Customs Form - agent sent me to secondary as he did not know what to do. Second time through no problem but the agent asked for my customs form, just happen to have it so gave it to him and away I went. Last time through I was prepared - gave him my GE slip and customs form, he tore up the customs form and that is when he told me no need for it and said next time just scoot along the side and hand us the slip.

AceAirspeed Mar 10, 2009 10:41 am

I'm a NEXUS user, just applied this morning for the Global Entry program. As others have described, no fee and GE showed up in my Program Membership(s) section as Approved about 10 minutes later.

So if there anything else I need to do? I feel like I should have a card or something to "prove" I have this. I guess just go up to the machine and it will validate my membership??

Love the NEXUS program and I am sure I will love the GE program too!!^