FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Is Global Entry worthwhile? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/917913-global-entry-worthwhile.html)

chugger1 Mar 21, 2011 1:22 pm

Just used my new GE at BOS a few days ago. I concur with the previous posters - best C note I ever spent. Off the plane and out to the street in a couple of minutes.

Also, during my interview, I asked the officer about declaring cheese, because it contains milk. I remembered that issue was brought up in this thread. He basically said cheese doesn't count. I said what if an officer was to push the issue because I didn't declare it. He said everyone is given a second chance to ammend their declaration when they are unsure. So there you go.

Would further like to state that GE apparantly does result in different treatment to travelers by CBP. I was treated with nothing but respect and professionalism during my interview and subsequent use of the kiosk at BOS. No attitude, no respect my authoritay, no interrogation about business or pleasure, etc. Wish I could say the same for TSA.

N1120A Mar 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 16042948)
Exactly! This was the kind of reaction that I got from CBP at YEG, during my NEXUS interview. Very friendly guy.. Chatted for ten-fifteen minutes, while the Canadians :D were finishing up lunch :p

Question about GE: I know we have debated whether to declare things like chocolate, candy, etc.. I'll be coming back from CDG next week, and will likely have a lot of chocolate. Should I say yes to the food question, or just say no and go on my way?

GE interview did mention to declare or possibly forfeit membership.. Seems like you can't get a straight answer from CBP.

The rules are what the kiosk says, not the Blue Form, since that is where you are making your declaration. The kiosk much more accurately reflects the law and doesn't include chocolate (which has never been a problem).

Originally Posted by Firebug4 (Post 16045229)
The kiosk question can be changed relatively easily to reflect what is a concern to US Agriculture or what is prohibited since those issues can change fairly rapidly. It is just a computer programming change. On the other hand, the form needs to be re-printed and distributed. For that reason, the form is kept general and is used to identify passengers that officers need to talk to in order to determine if the food products they have meet any of the current concerns regarding Agriculture issues.

FB

Except that overzealous (read - probably 80%) agents will demand if someone has "food" before asking the specific questions about what the USDA might actually care about. Then chastise them about saying no to "food" when the person actually has some idea what actually has to be declared. I saw this done to some poor woman in line when she had US made cereal bars that she was apparently re-importing.

mikew99 Mar 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Well, it finally happened:

Arrived at SFO this morning and was among the first ones off the plane. As we all approached the immigration lines, four passengers peeled off into the Global Entry line. SFO has only two kiosks, so I had to wait in a line. :eek:

To add insult to injury, there were several free immigration officers. I usually fill out the paper form just in case, but I was lazy and didn't do it this time. If I had, I could have walked over to one of the empty lines and beat the GE users ahead of me.

I recommend we stop the glowing recommendations for GE. Clearly the program is growing too popular! :D

Anybody know if SFO will get more of the kiosks?

popeyethesailerman Mar 21, 2011 7:56 pm

came back from jamaca into atlanta with 14 yo daughter. i have, she does not. line to regular over 200 people. smudged fingerprint, got card, took d to front of line and agent said no problem with minor.

4 min

OverThereTooMuch Mar 22, 2011 1:08 am

My interview experience @ SEA is pretty much the same as everyone else in this thread. CBP & whatever the Canadian equiv is (sorry, don't recall the name) were very friendly (esp. the Canadian officer). Interview process was pretty painless (and pointless, since the bulk of the questions the CBP officer asked were ones I already answered in the original application). One example: they asked about any criminal history I might have. By that point, they've already done whatever background screen on me they're going to do, so they should know that I don't have any such history. Not sure why they'd bother asking in the interview. I guess they're hoping to get a stupid criminal :p

I recently used the kiosk at ORD, and had no CBP issues (now baggage on the other hand... :mad::mad::mad::mad:). The machine showed that only 3 of the fingerprints were green (think the 4th was yellow), but I was approved and got my receipt before I even had a chance to reset for a second attempt at the scanner.

No line at the kiosks, 50+ waiting in line for officers. I zipped right through. I was the first person from my plane to make it to baggage claim, and one of the last to leave.

I still feel it was worth the $50 NEXUS fee to get this. Hopefully on future trips my bag can zip through the airport as quickly as I can.

RobertS975 Mar 22, 2011 5:58 pm

I don't get the interview process either. They have already run you through the system, so why the question about criminal convictions?

Also, both my wife and I were asked "Have you traveled to Canada or Mexico?" Same CBP office, different days, different officers. I thought that was curious as well.

The real shame of Global Entry is that it does not come with reciprocal agreements with many other countries. It would be nice to breeze through the LHR rush. I know there is some deal with the Netherlands (at no minor extra cost!), but wouldn't an "EU Pass" be a great thing to have?

One more question... what is the process for when you renew your passport?
BTW, when you do renew your passport, why do you get a new passport number? I have usually just memorized the old number!

wilp888 Mar 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by mikew99 (Post 16077305)
Well, it finally happened:

Arrived at SFO this morning and was among the first ones off the plane. As we all approached the immigration lines, four passengers peeled off into the Global Entry line. SFO has only two kiosks, so I had to wait in a line. :eek:

To add insult to injury, there were several free immigration officers. I usually fill out the paper form just in case, but I was lazy and didn't do it this time. If I had, I could have walked over to one of the empty lines and beat the GE users ahead of me.

I recommend we stop the glowing recommendations for GE. Clearly the program is growing too popular! :D

Anybody know if SFO will get more of the kiosks?

I came off UA862 yesterday at SFO and 3 people were ahead of me, were you behind me? :D I used the 2nd kiosk (exit side) and the touchscreen wasn't very sensitive and I had to touch a few times. Maybe that slowed people up but I also had to wait in January which was the first time I have ever seen a line at the kiosks. I also hope they put some more machines in.

aviationwiz Mar 22, 2011 6:49 pm

They ask you about Canada and Mexico because those 2 countries don't show up on the list asking what countries you've visited in the past 5 years.

When you renew your passport you just need to go in and change the passport information in GOES when you get it. Then stop by and get a new sticker when you can.

I do agree that a reciprocal agreement for use in LHR would be awesome. I'd pay an extra fee for that - but not the 240 EUR that they want for FLUX in AMS.

N1120A Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz (Post 16083632)

I do agree that a reciprocal agreement for use in LHR would be awesome. I'd pay an extra fee for that - but not the 240 EUR that they want for FLUX in AMS.

The UK system is even easier. You just have to show that you enter twice a year.

stifle Mar 23, 2011 12:56 am

True, but it's soon to be nixed and replaced by a system which doesn't require enrolment because it's based on the data in the biometric chip on a passport, but will only be open to EU citizens.

mikew99 Mar 23, 2011 12:58 am

Originally Posted by wilp888 (Post 16083624)
I came off UA862 yesterday at SFO and 3 people were ahead of me, were you behind me? :D I used the 2nd kiosk (exit side) and the touchscreen wasn't very sensitive and I had to touch a few times. Maybe that slowed people up but I also had to wait in January which was the first time I have ever seen a line at the kiosks. I also hope they put some more machines in.

I was on UA892, so you arrived before me. I used the 2nd kiosk too; I didn't have any problems with it, but one of the people ahead of me had a bit of trouble. (He courteously stepped aside after a few unsuccessful tries.)

GE is great when the regular immigration lines are long. I found it ironic to find a line at the GE kiosks at the exact moment that the regular line was completely empty. (Just my luck :p) Here's for more kiosks at SFO! ^

FriendlySkies Mar 23, 2011 1:00 am

Used GE at ORD on Monday afternoon. The international arrivals bank had already started, so pax from at least eight wide-bodies were in line. Got to the GE kiosks, and was through in thirty seconds.. In comparison, I was waiting for a fellow FTer to clear the line. It took about twelve minutes for him to clear the US citizen line.. Only three officers were working the US lines, while four were on the visitor line. LOTS of visitors!

RobertS975 Mar 23, 2011 4:34 pm

I live in the BOS area, and I haven't really found arriving in BOS to ever be a significant problem. And in any event, there is never a connecting flight involved. But my wife and I obtained GE for those arrivals into places like JFK, EWR, ATL, IAH etc... where a connecting flight will be in our future.

If I make one connecting flight back to BOS that I otherwise would have missed in the 5 years of our membership, it will be worth the fee. BTW, when connections are critical, we are willing to leave our checked luggage behind rather than claim it at an intermediate hub. It will find you at home the next day!

lili Mar 23, 2011 11:04 pm

For me the value of GE is not having to talk to the CBP guys however briefly. They are polite, but usually patronizing and make me want to shout I have 7 pounds of illegal whatever in my bag just to see if they are paying attention.

FriendlySkies Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by lili (Post 16091258)
For me the value of GE is not having to talk to the CBP guys however briefly.

+100000

Especially when I did an eight-hour mileage run to Sydney, or when I do my twelve-hour MR to Brazil :)