Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:21 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by wilp888
Well, anything is possible but the only time I had declared food was back in 2008 and I have used the kiosk dozens of times without receiving an X since. Back then, the wording was still the generic word "food". I hope it was just a random check. Besides, it was dried scallops and I knew it was legal to bring in but I declared it anyway because it was food.
I've also been a member since summer of 08 and early on I'd get the X just declaring cookies (before they changed the questions). I was moderately paranoid about any perceived lying. The agents finally told me not to worry about cookies so using IAH I never declared them again as I had the agents name. I've not had any Xs (knock wood) for food concerns since then. I am glad they changed the questions. So many airports are in the program now (which is great but...) it seems each have their own subset of "un"official GE rules.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I got an X when I declared something I bought over value. The immigration guy actually seemed annoyed that I declared and the customs people thanked me for being honest. I've never been X'd since then (knock wood)
Old Jul 6, 2012, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Question occurred to me as I used GE for the first time with my family:

The $800 limit on duty-free imports can be aggregated for families traveling together (i.e., a family of 3 gets $2400 total). The questions on GE ask about $800, however, and don't provide a family cumulation option.

Say we were close to the limit (we weren't in this case). Would we all answer "less than $800" and then if given a secondary explain how we allocated across the family? What if we had bought one $2000 item?
Old Jul 6, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by drewguy
Question occurred to me as I used GE for the first time with my family:

The $800 limit on duty-free imports can be aggregated for families traveling together (i.e., a family of 3 gets $2400 total). The questions on GE ask about $800, however, and don't provide a family cumulation option.

Say we were close to the limit (we weren't in this case). Would we all answer "less than $800" and then if given a secondary explain how we allocated across the family? What if we had bought one $2000 item?
As long as the total for the three of you does not exceed $2,400, you should be fine and each of you would answer that the amount was no more than $800. If you were traveling without GE, there would only be a single Customs form to fill out, but that won't work at GE kiosks, where three electronic forms are required, so you have to allocate the $2,400.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by 14940674
I believe the bypass option is as follows: You use the kiosk in the conventional manner and get your receipt. You then take your child to an immigration officer using your GE front-of-the-line privileges, and have the child processed manually by the officer.
Had a weird experience yesterday in MIA, when I took my child to be processed manually since his fingerprints didn't read, the officer said ours (my wifes and mine) didn't go through even though we both had the global entry slips that printed out. the strange thing is he determined that even before I handed him either of our passports. He then mumbled to himself and typed away for literally ten minutes. it took longer to clear immigration then without global entry. when I asked what the issue was he mumbled something about the system possibly not updating. I'm wondering if he just was clueless how global entry works or if any of that made any sense? then when we got to customs and handed our forms and my sons paper customs forms that guy said the other guy did it all wrong.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
Had a weird experience yesterday in MIA, when I took my child to be processed manually since his fingerprints didn't read, the officer said ours (my wifes and mine) didn't go through even though we both had the global entry slips that printed out. the strange thing is he determined that even before I handed him either of our passports. He then mumbled to himself and typed away for literally ten minutes. it took longer to clear immigration then without global entry. when I asked what the issue was he mumbled something about the system possibly not updating. I'm wondering if he just was clueless how global entry works or if any of that made any sense? then when we got to customs and handed our forms and my sons paper customs forms that guy said the other guy did it all wrong.
It sounds as though the kiosk produced your slip without properly communicating with the CBP computer system.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
To the OP:
Sorry I'm a bit late to the conversation.
Don't even think of applying for GE unless you have an absolutely clean record for your entire life. If you don't, then you will forfeit $100. I was denied because of a minor traffic violation. It was like flushing the $ down the toilet.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by rwmiller56
To the OP:
Don't even think of applying for GE unless you have an absolutely clean record for your entire life. If you don't, then you will forfeit $100. I was denied because of a minor traffic violation. It was like flushing the $ down the toilet.
Did you declare the violation on your application? If not, then you probably weren't denied because of the violation, but because you didn't declare it.

joe
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
To the OP:
Given my driving record (quite a few minor traffic violations over the years including one luckily-only-a-violation careless driving back in the 1990s) I doubt it was that simple; failure to declare (although my recollection was that they only asked for misdemeanor or worse) might cover it.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
Did you declare the violation on your application? If not, then you probably weren't denied because of the violation, but because you didn't declare it.

joe
That is correct. During the interview, the CBP agent will ask questions where the answer is in the screen in front of them. Trust begins by telling the truth. If you lie, you are not trustworthy. I've known of people who been booked, had traffic convictions, misdemeanors, etc.... and all were approved for GE.

--J
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
me as well.

Originally Posted by jcf27
That is correct. During the interview, the CBP agent will ask questions where the answer is in the screen in front of them. Trust begins by telling the truth. If you lie, you are not trustworthy. I've known of people who been booked, had traffic convictions, misdemeanors, etc.... and all were approved for GE.

--J
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
To the OP:
Not true at all.

Numerous people here have posted about being cleared for GE despite having arrests or convictions on their record.

The plural of anecdote is not data.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by UshuaiaHammerfest
Not true at all.

Numerous people here have posted about being cleared for GE despite having arrests or convictions on their record.

Also, people with prior customs offenses can also be approved.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: UA Silver; WN; Marriott; SPG; Hilton; IHG; National; TSA Pre; Clear
Originally Posted by jcf27

--J
Well, I was honest about the conviction (misdemeanor) on the application, but was denied anyway. I am currently trying to appeal through the ombudsman, but I don't have high hopes. Buyer beware!

Not true at all.

See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...l#post18861205 post #71.

Not true at all.

All I'm saying is that a misdemeanor conviction will more than likely result in a denial, therefore if the applicant has one, he/she should be prepared to forfeit the application fee. Even expungement may not work, since government agencies can still see the expunged conviction.

Last edited by scoow; Jul 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm Reason: multiple, consecutive posts
Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2mm; Hilton Diamond
I'm sorry, but a conviction for "wet reckless" (which is a misdemeanor -- not an infraction -- and treated as a DUI by law enforcement for all intents and purposes) is not a "minor traffic violation" by any stretch of the imagination.

Minor traffic violations are speeding. You basically got a DUI that wasn't officially called a DUI. In your case, the DA said "You weren't driving safe. You were drinking. We might be able to convict you of a DUI, but it could be difficult, so we'll call it a wet reckless so we get a conviction and law enforcement knows to pay attention to your alcohol level next time you're stopped."

As was discussed in the thread you linked to, CBP takes DUI very seriously.

Advising the OP not to apply if they have a "minor traffic violation" is bad advice. Plenty of people with speeding tickets, registration violations, or even misdemeanor arrests and convictions get approved for GE. It is the offense in particular that matters, and how you address it with CBP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.