Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Frinkiac7
Anyone know if the GE interview can be done in Spanish for a green card holder? I note that the GOES website has a Spanish version but I can't find anything about the in-person interview. Tyia.

Probably. Many if not most CBP officers are bilingual. I would bet at least one will be on duty at the enrollment center when the interview occurs. Just ask when you arrive. If not, I suppose you could serve as an interpreter for your friend/family member.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by nkedel
The only way I've ever had my passport checked going out has been for the CBP sticker in the back; not consistently so, but several times now.
I got no sticker on my passport at my interview. Hmm.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by drewguy
It does make sense, although I don't think I've ever had my slip verified against my passport--it's usually give and go.
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
You might want to call them about that and see if you can go back and have them add it.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I didn't either... but a sticker is not an official part of the process and it's really not necessary. It might be useful if you're faced with a massive throng of people and you want to get by them to access a kiosk (think the IAD mid field terminal on a summer afternoon).. an employee might help you if they see a sticker. But your GE card will work fine for that purpose too.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I didn't either... but a sticker is not an official part of the process and it's really not necessary. It might be useful if you're faced with a massive throng of people and you want to get by them to access a kiosk (think the IAD mid field terminal on a summer afternoon).. an employee might help you if they see a sticker. But your GE card will work fine for that purpose too.
Well that's how it should be but try entering the US at ORD where they seem to have their own GE rules that require you show the sticker at the customs exit. They "require" that - no idea what they would do if you showed up with your receipt but didn't have the sticker. Silly, yes. Not part of the process - yes. But they are cousins of TSA so who knows.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
but I wonder if presenting my Global Entry ID card in lieu of some magic sticker on my passport would shut somebody up and let me proceed? (Yes, I know the card has no other use outside trans-border entry points) It's a sticker, for crying out loud, not exactly the most permanent identification method.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
but I wonder if presenting my Global Entry ID card in lieu of some magic sticker on my passport would shut somebody up and let me proceed? (Yes, I know the card has no other use outside trans-border entry points) It's a sticker, for crying out loud, not exactly the most permanent identification method.
And, of course, there's those of us (the very few of us), who cannot get a GE card, even though we have GE .... (yes, the Dutch citizens who do not have a Green Card). So for us, the sticker could be a must (although I have not had to show it yet, even at ORD).

Of course, the new picture on the receipt could put an end to all of this.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
And, of course, there's those of us (the very few of us), who cannot get a GE card, even though we have GE .... (yes, the Dutch citizens who do not have a Green Card). So for us, the sticker could be a must (although I have not had to show it yet, even at ORD).

Of course, the new picture on the receipt could put an end to all of this.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
According to the pamphlet they gave me when I was interviewed, you can stop at any station, ask for a sticker, and once they verify your admittance into the program, they will place a sticker in your passport.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by cparekh
According to the pamphlet they gave me when I was interviewed, you can stop at any station, ask for a sticker, and once they verify your admittance into the program, they will place a sticker in your passport.

That is true. I obtained a sticker for my new passport with a quick stop at the IAD CBP office. No appointment-just knocked, and was ready to go in about 3 minutes.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
I entered this morning at LAX T5 from SYD on DL - my photo was printed at the bottom of the GE receipt, however, the officer at the exit still asked to see my passport and checked my photo against the photo on the receipt and myself.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Deleted

Last edited by Boraxo; Aug 20, 2012 at 3:43 pm Reason: No point in further discussion
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:07 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So I brought my 3 year old with me through global entry today and was then stopped by the card checker. He called a supervisor who told me I had violated the GE rules. I responded that the kiosk did not ask any questions about additional passengers. He then had my kid's passport scanned by an agent and directed me to fill out a customs card for her (apparently "one per family" doesn't apply when you are processed separately). Curious as to whether I will be flagged on my next solo entry...

Has anyone here been kicked out of GE?
Before they made all ages eligible for GE I was able to get the toddlers through with me usually (EWR and IAH for example). Now any child can get their own GE so all the anecdotes here say no more GE with the little ones unless they have their own membership. The CBP say similar on their webpages-no piggybacking.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Probably. Many if not most CBP officers are bilingual. I would bet at least one will be on duty at the enrollment center when the interview occurs. Just ask when you arrive. If not, I suppose you could serve as an interpreter for your friend/family member.
I believe anyone working for CBP is required to have a working knowledge of Spanish (or French if they're stationed on the QC/US border)...
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Kiosks at IAD midfield are printing photos on the GE receipts now. Went through yesterday afternoon. Five kiosks, no one using them when we arrived. Right through the GE lane at customs as well. Then we waited in line for the TSA checkpoint for almost an hour. Really ruined our planned stop at the LH lounge in Terminal B before our connecting flight.

If we had had to wait in line for Immigration as well, our 2.5 hour connection would have been in jeopardy.

joe
Old Aug 13, 2012, 5:39 pm

Some of the best $ ever spent ..... Easy to get approved (I'm not a US citizen but permanent resident), interview in MIA took less than 5 minutes. Just made my first entry at PHL, mentioned my GE status to one of the 'welcome officers' at the immigration hall entry, he took me past all lines to the kiosk. Took maybe 60 seconds tops to scan my green card, answer a few questions, take fingerprints & photo, print receipt with photo. Later on thru dedicated GE customs. What a difference, easiest and fastest entry into the US ever! Of course, I saved so much time at immigration that I had to wait forever for my luggage .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.