Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2012, 3:34 pm

Since this thread is WAY off topic, I thought I would bring it back to the intention with a comment on "whether or not GE is worth it".

I just got back from Frankfurt arriving at ORD. I was able to get from BIS on my landing flight at 10:20am to BIS on a standby flight at 11:03am at gate B22! For those that know ORD, that is a long haul.

Granted, I am GS and got to use TSA Pre as well, but I phoned a colleague that was on the same flight and while I was sitting on my standby, they were still in the customs line some 45 minutes later! It all depends on the timing, but when you land just after 2 other long-hauls, it makes a world of difference! Great stuff...and for those that have PRE, it is even better!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Korea Smart Entry

Slightly outside of GE, but I completed my Smart Entry enrollment at ICN, thanks to the reciprocal agreement with GE/Korean immigration. I applied about 3 weeks before I got approval, and just happened to get lucky and be approved while I was in Korea. It would have been an easy, 5-minute process if I had US dollars on me. The fee is $100USD for foreigners without a Korean bank account. So if you're seeking Smart Entry and don't have a Korean bank account to deposit the change into, bring $100USD with you or you'll have to exchange currency for a $100 bill at the exchange right outside the Smart Entry office, at bad rates nonetheless.

Also, in the approval letter you'll receive from Korean immigration, it gives you a list of places you can go to complete enrollment. Well, as a foreigner in Korea, the only places you can really complete enrollment are GMP or ICN. I first tried to complete my enrollment at the KOTRA center, which was near where I was in Gangnam, but was quickly told that foreigners could only complete enrollment at the airports. A nice waste of 20,000KRW in cab fares.

So as long as you have your passport, printed approval letter, $100USD in cash, and complete your enrollment at GMP or ICN, the completion process should take less than 5 minutes in all. It was just a simple photograph, digital index fingerprints, and deposit $100USD into a machine that resembles an ATM machine. I was able to use the benefits directly after completing enrollment to bypass significant waits at exit immigration. I was through in 20 seconds, where it took my colleague 30 minutes to clear immigration at the same time. Very efficient.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by blakepilot
Slightly outside of GE, but I completed my Smart Entry enrollment at ICN, thanks to the reciprocal agreement with GE/Korean immigration.
Good report-thanks. Curious that they require only US$. I could see taking either, but only US? Odd.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:50 am

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Originally Posted by drewguy
Good report-thanks. Curious that they require only US$. I could see taking either, but only US? Odd.
Well I was a bit lost in translation with the immigration clerk, but to my knowledge, any US citizen applying for SES through GOES must pay $100USD, and depositing KRW into the machine would cause change to be made after the currency exchange. The only way that's possible is if you have a Korean bank account, upon which the difference would be deposited into that account. I don't know...I was confused by the whole process, too, but it's just easier to bring a crisp $100 bill with you to the interview. Then again, I was there on Sunday night and it could have been the B team working. I tried just about every way on the machine to let me use KRW or debit, but the only way possible was with USD. YMMV
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Data Point: Had my GE interview at DEN on 7/25, after conditional approval early June. Whole process took no more than 15 minutes. Excited to use it through the coming months.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
When did the GE kiosks start printing the photograph on the slips?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by 14940674
Did you get a slip with a photo on it? I used GE at the end of May and there was no photo...seems like a good idea for security.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Did you get a slip with a photo on it? I used GE at the end of May and there was no photo...seems like a good idea for security.
+1

No photo on my GE slip at the end of June.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA
Got the photo on July 24th at ORD after a long flight from HKG. Was surprised to see it and it is done with the built in camera at the kiosk. Next time I guess I should shave before landing and look a little less grouchy.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
My photo (taken at the GE kiosk) was printed on the form I received from the kiosk at SFO on July 24. 2012.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I received a slip with photo at JFK on 7/20. While it may be beneficial to security, the addition of the photograph doubles the height of the slip, making it unwieldy.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
I received a slip with photo at JFK on 7/20. While it may be beneficial to security, the addition of the photograph doubles the height of the slip, making it unwieldy.
Unwieldly? Really?? I don't think so. It's not any bigger than the old blue Customs form you filled out before joining GE. Plus you are carrying it only a couple hundred feet and then having it taken from you by Customs. Not a big deal.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
Unwieldly? Really?? I don't think so. It's not any bigger than the old blue Customs form you filled out before joining GE. Plus you are carrying it only a couple hundred feet and then having it taken from you by Customs. Not a big deal.
Compared to the old slip, which was about the same size as a passport, the new slip is unwieldy. I do agree; however, that it is not a significant inconvenience.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

None on mine at JFK two weeks ago. It must be very recent.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
TSA agent at DEN said the slip with a photo will become a standard as they replace kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.