Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:22 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the super-awesome exclusive exit for GE members with only carry-on luggage at Houston IAH is randomly closed until 8am. So early arrivals from South America have to walk all the way to the checked luggage escalator then all the way back through the checked luggage hall to the exit.

Not sure why...seems stupid.
I love that exit and use it nearly weekly. I never released it was closed early mornings. Is the dedicated transit pax lane closed that early also?
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
.n/m.

Last edited by danpass; Apr 29, 2012 at 11:28 am Reason: found answer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 1:50 pm

Signing Up Process was Easy

- Applied on 4/10/12 (took 20 mins)
- Continuously checked GOES for updated status on application & approval
- Noticed my application went from pending approval to conditionally approved
- scheduled interview the very next open slot after being conditionally approved
- Interviewed on 4/22/12. Arrived an hour early of my appointment, it didn't matter--just a few follow up questions, left FIVE MINUTES LATER fully approved.
- Arrived back at my residence before the time of schedule start of interview!

^^
Old May 4, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
It appears that there is now reciprocity between Korea's SES and Global Entry. Within GOES there is now an option to apply for the SES program ($100).
Old May 4, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
Global Entry for Canadian Citizens?

I've used my Global Entry 5 times and I can't imagine standing in line here like I did for 1 3/4 hours at Terminal 5 at Heathrow a week ago in the passport control line.

One of the friends I was traveling with is Canadian with a work permit for the US; can a Canadian citizens get Global Entry if they qualify for NEXUS?
Old May 4, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by backdoc
One of the friends I was traveling with is Canadian with a work permit for the US; can a Canadian citizens get Global Entry if they qualify for NEXUS?
If he or she qualifies for NEXUS then he or she should apply for NEXUS, and then use it to get a free Global Entry membership. There is no point in applying for Global Entry alone if one is Canadian.
Old May 4, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
It appears that there is now reciprocity between Korea's SES and Global Entry. Within GOES there is now an option to apply for the SES program ($100).
I have heard about this new reciprocity, but I am missing the button to add an SES membership on my "Manage My Membership" page. I guess the website change is being rolled out over time.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
[edit: oops, I applied for Nexus, and posted in the wrong place... message deleted]
Old May 10, 2012, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Well got my first secondary today, this one at IAD. No X on the GE receipt, got to the customs exit and was directed to secondary inspection. Asked a bunch of stupid, repetitive questions that anyone could answer from google (who I work for, what I do) and DHSes own records (how long was I gone, where do I live, am I resident of the USA [idiot, that's a green card is: permanent resident]) plus the CBP officer clearly was bored because 1/10th into the bag search he gave up.

Pointless program if secondaries are not going to be selected by GE kiosk and the idiots in DHS aren't going to use the private info I volunteered as part of the program for secondaries. Probably not going to renew.
Old May 10, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by mre5765
Well got my first secondary today, this one at IAD. No X on the GE receipt, got to the customs exit and was directed to secondary inspection. Asked a bunch of stupid, repetitive questions that anyone could answer from google (who I work for, what I do) and DHSes own records (how long was I gone, where do I live, am I resident of the USA [idiot, that's a green card is: permanent resident]) plus the CBP officer clearly was bored because 1/10th into the bag search he gave up.

Pointless program if secondaries are not going to be selected by GE kiosk and the idiots in DHS aren't going to use the private info I volunteered as part of the program for secondaries. Probably not going to renew.
Just having GE does not exempt you from random secondaries. I got one in the past year - and GE still saved me a total of about 24 hours of waiting in immigration lines and helped me make some very tight connections. If you call that "pointless", then you can just go back to those immigration lines by not renewing. Have fun.
Old May 10, 2012, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drewguy
An extra $100 on top of the Global Entry fee?

If so, that's a bit pricey . . .
Old May 10, 2012, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
An extra $100 on top of the Global Entry fee?

If so, that's a bit pricey . . .
It appears to be an additional $100. For a single trip to Korea not worth it. But if you regularly travel there, sure. The main reason for it is to promote business between the two countries, so this clearly facilitates regular travel between the two countries.
Old May 11, 2012, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by colonius
Just having GE does not exempt you from random secondaries. I got one in the past year - and GE still saved me a total of about 24 hours of waiting in immigration lines and helped me make some very tight connections. If you call that "pointless", then you can just go back to those immigration lines by not renewing. Have fun.
I have no problem with random secondaries from GE. I have a problem with random secondaries after GE clears me.

I think if I had used the regular immigration line (at IAD that time there was no queue) I have had no secondary. If GE is going to increase the odds of a secondary then what is the logic to GE?
Old May 11, 2012, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think if I had used the regular immigration line (at IAD that time there was no queue) I have had no secondary.
You have n way of knowing that. Passengers from the regular line are selected for random secondary searches every day time too.
Old May 11, 2012, 8:24 am

I think if I had used the regular immigration line (at IAD that time there was no queue) I have had no secondary. If GE is going to increase the odds of a secondary then what is the logic to GE?
You can always use the regular line when it's empty if you think the odds go up.

I'm not sure we have any idea whether the odds of a random secondary increase with GE over going through the regular line. But given GE takes about 1 minute whereas even a non-line takes 3-5 minutes, I'll take the chance on a 3- 5 minute secondary (I've had one as well).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.