Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Korean Smart Entry System (SES) and GE - Part 2

Just did the Korean SES add on to Global Entry.

I applied about 4 weeks ago once SES showed up. I travel to Korea about 6-8 times a year so this for me is a big deal; for those who go once or twice a year it may not be worth it.

Program expires 5 years from ISSUANCE on your birthday; e.g. if your Birthday is December; 5 years from now + the additional time to get to your birthday date.

Process

1) Apply for SES on GOES
2) You will get an acceptance letter back via GOES from Korean Ministry of Justice inviting you to go to an enrollment center
3) Show up at the enrollment center with the letter you got PRINTED. NOTE until end of June I was suggested to go to Incheon enrollment center; Gimpo/Kimpo was not setup to process when I went this week.
4) They will do enrollment info including taking photo's, passport scan and fingerprints.
5) Pay 100 USD or 10,000 KRW - THIS IS HIGHER than the stated 50,000KRW but I think CBP is mistaken here; SES in Korea is 10,000KRW/100USD for 5 years. [ You will pay this on an ATM looking device run by Shinhan Bank; in the enrollment office]
6) They will show you how to use the system on a trial unit in the enrollment office.
7) They will stamp your passport last page with a stamp stating "OK to use Korean SES/Automated Border Control"

Was activated to use. I was actually the first person who came in to get processed so they made a big deal about it and had a few others brought in to quickly cross train people. The senior guy who showed up said it normally should take 5 mins or less but since some options are setup different for GE members staff aren't familiar on how to process. Took 20 mins and since I was leaving that day one of the senior guys waited for me after security to ensure it worked on the automated gate for departure immigration.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:53 pm

Just wanted to share my two cents... I got the Plat Amex a few weeks ago since they had a 50K points on signup promo and decided to take advantage of the Global Entry bonus.

Applied on Monday, received an OK on Friday and managed to schedule the interview today (Saturday) at Newark. They didn't even ask my any questions - just took my picture and finger prints and sent me on my merry way. Whole process took less than 20 minutes including parking. ^
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Looking for experiences with slipping an extra person in for an interview.

My daughter got approval before my wife, and has an appointment about 2 weeks before wife's. Hoping wife can piggyback off daughter's appointment since she'll be there anyway as guardian.

Any sense of the chances wife can do interview/enrollment at the same time? Should she call first or just show up and ask if she can do it then?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
Looking for experiences with slipping an extra person in for an interview.

My daughter got approval before my wife, and has an appointment about 2 weeks before wife's. Hoping wife can piggyback off daughter's appointment since she'll be there anyway as guardian.

Any sense of the chances wife can do interview/enrollment at the same time? Should she call first or just show up and ask if she can do it then?
Can't hurt to try! When we set up our kids interview, they were separated by 2-3 hours. We ended up with a weather delay to SFO (site of the interview) and was an hour late to the interview, but they cheerfully processed both kids at the same time. The interview room was empty. By the way, SFO has four desks set up for the interview. HNL has just one, in the corner of a back office.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by danpass
Keep checking and show up early if you grab a late appointment
Thank you for the advice. I was able to change it and completed the interview today. Got the apprvoal email before I got to my car in the parking lot at DFW.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Interview length

Seems as if many people are in-out very quick in the interviews. Anyone speculate on the average time? I plan on scheduling during a layover.

Cheers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by tmontemb
Seems as if many people are in-out very quick in the interviews. Anyone speculate on the average time? I plan on scheduling during a layover.

Cheers.
GE says 45 minutes. Mine was about 30 minutes. If you want to sift through all the posts and collect statistics, it's all here.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
GE says 45 minutes. Mine was about 30 minutes. If you want to sift through all the posts and collect statistics, it's all here.
Unfortunately I don't have the time to go through 160+ pages and create a scatter plot (although there could be some use in that). So I will take your word for it. I think safe side I will plan for an hour. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:12 pm

Unfortunately I don't have the time to go through 160+ pages and create a scatter plot (although there could be some use in that). So I will take your word for it. I think safe side I will plan for an hour. Thanks for the help, it's greatly appreciated.
Yeah. It was either you sift through, or someone else sift through.

But my un-rigorous feeling is that it shouldn't take more than 30-45 minutes. It can be less. Actually, I was done in about 20 minutes, and the CBP officer spent the rest of the time teaching me how to use the kiosk, but then the kiosk wasn't recognizing my fingerprint, so we talked about what to do if the machines don't work, etc... and since I wasn't in a rush, I asked a bunch of questions. I was still out within 30 minutes.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:19 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond

Cheers.
If you look through this thread (and others related to GE), it generally takes < 15 min--but some have reported a lot of questioning = lots of extra time.
My interview took < 10 min (and would have been even shorter if their computer were working better--slow retrace.)

[I think a lot depends on how much extra info is needed about your past travel and general history.]

Last edited by nrr; Jun 12, 2012 at 6:45 pm
Old Jun 12, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Platinum
Just a reminder for those interviewing soon. One of the tricks for successful fingerprinting ( I think it was mentioned upstream) is to rub your fingers on your forehead prior to placing it on the reader. The oils help. I forgot to tell my wife the trick, and she had a hard time getting her fingerprint to show. The officers were impressed at how easy my fingerprints showed up.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by frankmu
Just a reminder for those interviewing soon. One of the tricks for successful fingerprinting ( I think it was mentioned upstream) is to rub your fingers on your forehead prior to placing it on the reader. The oils help. I forgot to tell my wife the trick, and she had a hard time getting her fingerprint to show. The officers were impressed at how easy my fingerprints showed up.
The other trick, which the CBP office taught me, is to press your fingers down with your other hand. Usually, we don't apply equal pressure because some fingers are weaker than others. I do this now and it works every time.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by frankmu
Wish I had seen this before my appointment. My fingerprints never did 'take.'

The other trick, which the CBP office taught me, is to press your fingers down with your other hand. Usually, we don't apply equal pressure because some fingers are weaker than others. I do this now and it works every time.
I tried this, and the officer tried pressing down on my fingers, too. Light, medium, heavy pressure...nothing worked.

Since they could never get a good set of prints, they told me all I'd have to do is print the receipt from the kiosk and take it to the immigration officer along with my passport and he/she will have to check it manually. I'll always have the black "X" on the receipt, but it shouldn't slow me down too much. Or so they say. Hope it works out that way.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by lindaiah
I tried this, and the officer tried pressing down on my fingers, too. Light, medium, heavy pressure...nothing worked.

Since they could never get a good set of prints, they told me all I'd have to do is print the receipt from the kiosk and take it to the immigration officer along with my passport and he/she will have to check it manually. I'll always have the black "X" on the receipt, but it shouldn't slow me down too much. Or so they say. Hope it works out that way.
No no no!!! Don't do that. One of the benefits of GE is just walking right through and not having to deal with people.

Wipe your hand on your forehead, your nose, or other oily parts and press your hand and breathe on it if you have to. It's so much more convenient when you don't get the X.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, IHG Plat AMB, Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis Presidents Club; Caesars Diamond Plus
No no no!!! Don't do that. One of the benefits of GE is just walking right through and not having to deal with people.

Wipe your hand on your forehead, your nose, or other oily parts and press your hand and breathe on it if you have to. It's so much more convenient when you don't get the X.
I wish I could do that, but don't think I can -- ?? According to the officer at the interview, my fingerprints are not on my record since they wouldn't "print." He said I will "always get the black X" but will still be able to use the kiosk, and will have to take the printout to the officer assigned to the GE 'area.' I'll have to deal with people whether I like it or not...

I wonder if they would let me try the fingerprints again in another 'interview' session....?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.