Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lindaiah
I wonder if they would let me try the fingerprints again in another 'interview' session....?
I'd suggest just going to the GE office next time you are at an airport that has one. I doubt the system will let yu schedule another interview.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:32 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by tmontemb
Seems as if many people are in-out very quick in the interviews. Anyone speculate on the average time? I plan on scheduling during a layover.

Cheers.
All they need to do is ascertain that you are who you claim to be (a little chit-chat), get your fingerprints in the system, and orient you to the kiosks. 15-20 minutes depending on chattiness. They were even so kind as to let me drop in unannounced at SFO, since they were booked out two months and I was passing through anyway. Didn't seem to stress the system at all. Good luck, it is WELL worth it. Saved at least a couple of connections in the past year.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:25 am

I just got conditonally approved and when I try scheduling the interview online it says there is no time slots available at CLT airport which is my home airport, also I'm not able to schedule at MCO airport in Orlando either I figured I would go there since I have an Orlando vacation coming up at the end of this month. Is it not possible to schedule the Orlando location online???? Also what is a person suppose to do when it says no time slots available
Old Jun 16, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by extremeromance
I just got conditonally approved and when I try scheduling the interview online it says there is no time slots available at CLT airport which is my home airport, also I'm not able to schedule at MCO airport in Orlando either I figured I would go there since I have an Orlando vacation coming up at the end of this month. Is it not possible to schedule the Orlando location online???? Also what is a person suppose to do when it says no time slots available
If you're going to be in Orlando, you might try Sanford airport (SFB) as well
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
If you're going to be in Orlando, you might try Sanford airport (SFB) as well
Thats the airport I am flying into, you think I would have any luck just walking up to where the customs office is and ask them to schedule a appointment, doesn't seem like I can schedule appointments online at Sanford airport either
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by extremeromance
Thats the airport I am flying into, you think I would have any luck just walking up to where the customs office is and ask them to schedule a appointment, doesn't seem like I can schedule appointments online at Sanford airport either
Worth a shot. Others have reported success with that at other airports. Odd that you can't schedule an appointment. I assume you have also looked at MCO?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:56 pm

anyone have any experience with infants not fingerprinting? They couldn't get my infants fingerprints and I wanted them to keep trying until we got it but they said for children there was some sort of bypass option and not to worry about it. Is that actually true or is this classic misinformation?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by crazypalooza
anyone have any experience with infants not fingerprinting? They couldn't get my infants fingerprints and I wanted them to keep trying until we got it but they said for children there was some sort of bypass option and not to worry about it. Is that actually true or is this classic misinformation?
I believe the bypass option is as follows: You use the kiosk in the conventional manner and get your receipt. You then take your child to an immigration officer using your GE front-of-the-line privileges, and have the child processed manually by the officer.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by 14940674
I believe the bypass option is as follows: You use the kiosk in the conventional manner and get your receipt. You then take your child to an immigration officer using your GE front-of-the-line privileges, and have the child processed manually by the officer.
oh! that's what i was afraid of! that takes away some of the benefit if we have to see an agent every time!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
oh! that's what i was afraid of! that takes away some of the benefit if we have to see an agent every time!
Clearly, the solution here is to leave the kids at home...

Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Janus
Clearly, the solution here is to leave the kids at home...

What kind of speak is that on Father's Day of all days?!
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
You will still come out ahead, since you will never have to wait in an immigration line.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Conditionally approved!! Now I just need to schedule my interview and I am golden. Can not wait!
Old Jun 18, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
I've read about 50 pages here, and am wondering if anyone has seen or know how to fix this. I am flying back from canada, so will call CBP tomorrow, but if anyone has clues that might help... I've been an approved GE member for a year, I've never been at a kiosk airport until this month. So my first use was at MIA, where I was received the X and spent an hour in the back room. I asked the guy why he said "GE is not a reason for not getting screened". Of course, I thought "wow thats bad luck, my first try takes me an extra hour". My second try was today, got the x, sent to the back room, and I really pushed the guy to tell me why 100% of my GE uses have been denied.

Finally, after 10 minutes, he tells me my old arrest (felony 3) from when I was 16 is showing up on the file. These charges were dismissed, I admitted them in the interview process, and was obviously approved (my TSA pre-check works flawlessly, and I love it!).

I asked him how do I fix this, and he said you can't. I then asked what's the point of my being approved if I can't use it, he said "I dunno". They were flummoxed.

The TSA benefit is worth the $100 and benefit, but It's gonna suck if my wife can use this, and I can't when I've been approved!

Any advice is helpful!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nsane1
I've read about 50 pages here, and am wondering if anyone has seen or know how to fix this. I am flying back from canada, so will call CBP tomorrow, but if anyone has clues that might help... I've been an approved GE member for a year, I've never been at a kiosk airport until this month. So my first use was at MIA, where I was received the X and spent an hour in the back room. I asked the guy why he said "GE is not a reason for not getting screened". Of course, I thought "wow thats bad luck, my first try takes me an extra hour". My second try was today, got the x, sent to the back room, and I really pushed the guy to tell me why 100% of my GE uses have been denied.

Finally, after 10 minutes, he tells me my old arrest (felony 3) from when I was 16 is showing up on the file. These charges were dismissed, I admitted them in the interview process, and was obviously approved (my TSA pre-check works flawlessly, and I love it!).

I asked him how do I fix this, and he said you can't. I then asked what's the point of my being approved if I can't use it, he said "I dunno". They were flummoxed.

The TSA benefit is worth the $100 and benefit, but It's gonna suck if my wife can use this, and I can't when I've been approved!

Any advice is helpful!
There is an ombudsman perhaps contacting him could help(?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.