Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Does GE expire? Paying $100 every five years or whatever makes it a lot less worthwhile.
As others say YMMV.

Has the program been around long enough that anyone has had to renew yet? I'm wondering if the benefits will get a free extension.
Old May 29, 2012, 9:28 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by drewguy
As others say YMMV.

Has the program been around long enough that anyone has had to renew yet? I'm wondering if the benefits will get a free extension.
Not yet. I was one of the first batch to sign up at IAH, back in early summer of 08 when IAH was one of the first three airports, so in about a year I presume I will have to re-up (all the early filers would be around that time). As the time gets closer we can start a new thread or post here on our experiances renewing.

I'd pay another $100 for 5 more years, easily.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA
First time using it today returning to America via Newark...but the GE machines were down...along with rest of immigration's computers. Once the systems were back up, we got are own line to wait in. Kind of a let down for the first time, but it was better than waiting an additional hour in the "normal" line.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by txrandom
First time using it today returning to America via Newark...but the GE machines were down...along with rest of immigration's computers. Once the systems were back up, we got are own line to wait in. Kind of a let down for the first time, but it was better than waiting an additional hour in the "normal" line.
The machines were down at SFO this morning too. Long, long lines.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, US Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Address verification requirements?

Anyone know what the documents are required to prove address/residency?
My current address situation is extremely complicated (am technically homeless, have no home base, my FL drivers license has my California virtual mailing address as the address listed)
Old May 31, 2012, 7:23 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by AJollyLife
Anyone know what the documents are required to prove address/residency?
My current address situation is extremely complicated (am technically homeless, have no home base, my FL drivers license has my California virtual mailing address as the address listed)
At the time (and I was in the program very early on back in 08) I had a driver license from Texas with an out of state address on it and had multiple home issues also. I did have a pilots license with the mailing address I put on the application and that worked fine for them. You basically have to explain (justify might be to strong a word) what makes you move around. If it is your profession or duty that should be fine just have something that shows what you do. At my interview they were more obessed with my business cards than anything else other than my pilots license (though at the time I had a very high gov't clearance which probably helped with my instant approval). YMMV. Good luck.

Always bring to much info, better to have options, and of course be honest
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Just spoke with an agent at DEN about an interview and they are currently 70 days out for any Global Entry interviews.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TexasTea
Just spoke with an agent at DEN about an interview and they are currently 70 days out for any Global Entry interviews.
Any idea why? Were they booked solid, or are the interview offices not yet ready?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Any idea why? Were they booked solid, or are the interview offices not yet ready?
It seems they are just that far out for interviews. I tried booking online and they were greyed out until July 25, and then when I called to verify this was the case, the agent just said they've been extremely busy and this is the earliest they have interviews available. Any word if the GE computers are up and running at DEN yet?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TexasTea
It seems they are just that far out for interviews. I tried booking online and they were greyed out until July 25, and then when I called to verify this was the case, the agent just said they've been extremely busy and this is the earliest they have interviews available. Any word if the GE computers are up and running at DEN yet?
As of the beginning of May?, DEN is now a GE airport. A pic of th kiosks was in the latest DIA E-Newsletter.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
As of the beginning of May?, DEN is now a GE airport. A pic of th kiosks was in the latest DIA E-Newsletter.
Very nice, I didn't know and hear about it. Don't fly in much via DEN but might change my mind now and book some LH or BA flights from Europe.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 9:19 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I used GE in DEN on May 2. Two kiosks; neither was in use (but our little RJ was the first international flight of the day).
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by German Expat
Very nice, I didn't know and hear about it. Don't fly in much via DEN but might change my mind now and book some LH or BA flights from Europe.
And when we get our 788 service to QNRT next March, GE will be even more valuable in Denver! Also, once DEN adds pre-check, GE is almost guaranteed to get you access.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IC Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tomy77
Another data point. Applied early April, conditionally approved last Fri.
So roughly 2 weeks.
Data point. Got it in a week. Applied on May 25 and got the conditional approval yesterday (June 1). Earliest interview date available at DFW is 6/14 and I scheduled it.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by aglp2k
Data point. Got it in a week. Applied on May 25 and got the conditional approval yesterday (June 1). Earliest interview date available at DFW is 6/14 and I scheduled it.
Keep checking and show up early if you grab a late appointment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.