Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by blakepilot
Just kind of wondering if the appeal is a waste of time just to get denied again, or if people have actually had tangible success providing further detail into things.
You never know unless you try. Id say its worth the time regardless of your chances
Old Mar 19, 2012, 6:03 am

Global Entry: my life is changed forever...

My goodness, should of gotten it when it first came out years ago. Go straight to the front kiosk, 30 seconds, done! No more waiting in line for hours!
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler , Hertz #1 Gold Five Star, Sixt Platinum and various hotel programs
Originally Posted by nrr
Reading this thread got me interested in GE, I have two questions: (1). . . , (2)If you renew your passport during the 5 year period, do you have to reapply (and pay the fee again)?
Originally Posted by hoops7k
1. . . . . 2. They told me to just stop back by one of the offices with the new passport and they would update it in the computer.
Stopped by LAX on Sunday afternoon (on my way through on a domestic flight) and the on-duty CBP officer updated my new passport in their system and gave me a new sticker. Took 10 minutes.

This should avoid a mandatory secondary screening for CBP to inspect the new passport on my next international trip.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: Various
Another data point for those with families: I flew into Newark from Brussels in February with my 5-yo. I have GE, and he obviously does not. I went up to the kiosks with him, intending to get the X and then talk to an agent, as others on this board have done. There was an agent walking around the GE kiosks when I did this, and he told me whether or not I had the X, since I had GE and a child along with me, once I used the kiosks, I could see an agent at the front of the line.

This might just be one agents POV, but he seemed like he had seen this a lot, and this was SOP.

PLEASE NOTE: This post is now outdated, since all ages are now eligible for GE. Again, you can no longer walk your kids through with you!

Last edited by mechteach; Apr 26, 2013 at 7:02 am Reason: updated information
Old Mar 22, 2012, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Buster
How long does it typically take from application to getting an interview scheduled? I've been "pending review" for a little while now (I wonder if they're getting hammered with people applying to get out of the NOS).
I submitted about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. Strange that it's taking so long - you're not alone!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

any advice for paper work/things to bring with me to the interview with CBP? I'm going in on 03/29/12.

I will bring the letter...............
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, *G, Global Entry
Originally Posted by bearjetsetter
any advice for paper work/things to bring with me to the interview with CBP? I'm going in on 03/29/12.

I will bring the letter...............
The letter and your passport.

joe
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:39 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Argh. Any idea when PHX might be added as an enrollment center? It's not on the list.

When CLT, MSP and DEN went live with Global Entry earlier this month they were also added as enrollment centers for scheduling interviews. PHX went live on Monday but I can't enroll there yet. Won't be at an enrollment center until I transit MIA in June otherwise.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
When CLT, MSP and DEN went live with Global Entry earlier this month they were also added as enrollment centers for scheduling interviews. PHX went live on Monday but I can't enroll there yet. Won't be at an enrollment center until I transit MIA in June otherwise.
Give it time - I'm guessing they'll have an enrolment centre there within a few weeks. There's some infrastructure to set up, after all.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Question about the benefit of using Global Entry at a Land Crossing into Canada and back in to the US.

1) I understand that, as a GE member, I can't use the NEXUS lane going into Canada.

2) The published benefit (in the GE FAQ) is that a GE member can use the NEXUS lane coming back into the US using your Global Entry Card. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a drive-up kiosk involved? How does it work?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by warreng24
Question about the benefit of using Global Entry at a Land Crossing into Canada and back in to the US.

1) I understand that, as a GE member, I can't use the NEXUS lane going into Canada.

2) The published benefit (in the GE FAQ) is that a GE member can use the NEXUS lane coming back into the US using your Global Entry Card. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there a drive-up kiosk involved? How does it work?

Thanks in advance.
Yes you can. It's not a kiosk though and it's not "Global Entry" when you use it at the Canadian border. I just did this last weekend crossing the border at the Blaine, WA Peach Arch crossing. When you get to the front of the Nexus lane there is a sign for you to hold up your card and point it in the direction of a RFID scanner. When you do it, a counter above the scanner will change from zero to 1 (or, 2,3,4, etc depending on how many eligible cards you scan). Then, when you reach the officer he'll already have your information. Hand him the GE card...he asks his questions (if any), and off you go.

I don't drive to Canada that often, but probably will again this summer and due to the long wait going up I've already got my Nexus application submitted.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Mar 28, 2012 at 10:21 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver
The letter and your passport.

joe
I thought you need proof of residence? I'll find out in a few days. I'm bringing the letter, passport, and a few things I've receive in the mail with my address on it since i don't have Drivers license, utility bill or rental/mortgage papers (everything is in my GF's name)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I thought you need proof of residence? I'll find out in a few days. I'm bringing the letter, passport, and a few things I've receive in the mail with my address on it since i don't have Drivers license, utility bill or rental/mortgage papers (everything is in my GF's name)
i'm going in tomorrow @ 3

i just read the letter, it asks to bring:

letter
valid passport/resident card
evidence for residency (e.g. drivers license, utility bills, mortgage statement)

so i'll be bringing all three. plus i have a drivers license (different state) and a state id (same state as residence but different address). so we'll see how it goes.......
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:12 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
I've heard of folks asked for a certified copy of a birth certificate on Nexus interviews. You might want to bring one of those as well if you have one handy.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Cathay Boy
My goodness, should of gotten it when it first came out years ago. Go straight to the front kiosk, 30 seconds, done! No more waiting in line for hours!
Since DL seems to want me to fly thru JFK, GE is a life saver. Took my time down the long walk, smiled at the people waiting in line who passed me on a run, was thru and out the exit in about a minute. Best thing I ever did and I am sorry I didn't do it earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.