Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:06 am

GE at Canadian preclearance

Going to use GE departing Canada for the first time tomorrow. Was curious as to whether or not the kiosk can know in advance your airline and flight, as is usually true when you're at a kiosk at a US GE arrival. Presumably in that case they get the flight info from the list forwarded to immigration by the airline shortly after flight departure. In the case of Canadian preclearance, they don't have that info pre-departure. Does that mean you always have to hunt and peck your flight info into the kiosk by hand from Canadian kiosks??
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:02 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
I used GE to at Toronto a couple weeks ago. It went very smoothly. Lots of kiosks, no wait. And the kiosk knew my flight info.

The only downside was the maze of different lines to GE vs other lines were not well marked with signage. .
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Majuki
I've never been harassed at LAX with GE, and LAX has been my primary entry point into the US since signing up for GE. My experience has been limited to TBIT though, so I don't know if it's different at other terminals.
And to be fair I can't speak to TBIT as I've only entered through the UA/AS checkpoint located under T-6. But it's awful every time.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The only time I carry it though is when I go to Australia. They allow US citizens enrolled in GE to use the entry gates for immigration just like their citizens. However if you have problems getting the gate to recognize you I've found it's best to have proof of GE enrollment.
Originally Posted by frankmu
And required if going to New Zealand and using the Global Entry Lane (never asked for it though). Also a handy government ID/verification of birthday for children when abroad.
Thanks guys. Spouse and I just completed GE interview and planned to leave GE card at home. Nice to know they will be useful during our Nov trip. I mentioned plans to interviewing agent - apparently he was unaware of its usefulness in Australia and New Zealand; that's why I have such warm fuzzies about fellow FT'ers.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: ACMM / Altitude S100K / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
I used GE to at Toronto a couple weeks ago. It went very smoothly. Lots of kiosks, no wait. And the kiosk knew my flight info.

The only downside was the maze of different lines to GE vs other lines were not well marked with signage. .
Which terminal in Toronto? If T1 then you would go to the Nexus line and that is pretty much it ... love GE as it is free for CDN Nexus holders!
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:03 pm

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
Which terminal in Toronto? If T1 then you would go to the Nexus line and that is pretty much it ... love GE as it is free for CDN Nexus holders!
Indeed it was Terminal 1. I followed the advice on Flyertalk about the special door. It was my first time there and there were so many lines I was a bit confused. Complicated by the fact that I had to drop off a chase picked bag.

Having said that it was a very quick process.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Majuki
I've never been harassed at LAX with GE, and LAX has been my primary entry point into the US since signing up for GE. My experience has been limited to TBIT though, so I don't know if it's different at other terminals.
Ditto. All I've gotten was "Welcome home."
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian
Indeed it was Terminal 1. I followed the advice on Flyertalk about the special door. It was my first time there and there were so many lines I was a bit confused. Complicated by the fact that I had to drop off a chase picked bag.

Having said that it was a very quick process.
I definitely agree they do not help matters by funneling all US travelers through the single entry point and the telling them left or right based on the Nexus/GE or not. The minions at the front could definitely do better but then again they are just minions. They in the past months significantly increased the number of GE machines which is great ... in fact I am not even sure if there is a Nexus machine still left in the USA Clearance area ... maybe one or two.

Were you able to use the NEXUS security line too (far right after the customs/immigration officer)? I know they look for a Nexus card, not sure what they do if you have a GE card which I think you folks in the USA get?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead
I definitely agree they do not help matters by funneling all US travelers through the single entry point and the telling them left or right based on the Nexus/GE or not. The minions at the front could definitely do better but then again they are just minions. They in the past months significantly increased the number of GE machines which is great ... in fact I am not even sure if there is a Nexus machine still left in the USA Clearance area ... maybe one or two.

Were you able to use the NEXUS security line too (far right after the customs/immigration officer)? I know they look for a Nexus card, not sure what they do if you have a GE card which I think you folks in the USA get?
US citizens enrolled in GE are able to use Nexus going into the US. However to get Nexus going into Canada a US citizen must apply and have an interview with Canadian CBP.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
US citizens enrolled in GE are able to use Nexus going into the US. However to get Nexus going into Canada a US citizen must apply and have an interview with Canadian CBP.
Yup - figured that - but was just curious about the expedited security line - if those folks at that post actually recognized GE, that's all.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:30 pm

[QUOTE=shawbridge;11197675]I fly internationally about once or twice a month. Most trips from BOS to Europe, but I make trips to Asia, Mexico, Australia and other countries as well a few times a year. These latter trips are often through LAX, DFW, and MIA. I also go to YYZ a few times a year. Does it make sense to apply to the Global Entry program at this point? Is there any information about when a kiosk will come to Boston?[/QUO

Absolutely. I fly r/t from Mexico to IAH 2x a year and it easily saves me an hour. When it 's a tight connection it's crucial. $100 for five years? I eat that many McDonalds in the airport in a year.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
[QUOTE=powlan;23412135]
Originally Posted by shawbridge
I fly internationally about once or twice a month. Most trips from BOS to Europe, but I make trips to Asia, Mexico, Australia and other countries as well a few times a year. These latter trips are often through LAX, DFW, and MIA. I also go to YYZ a few times a year. Does it make sense to apply to the Global Entry program at this point? Is there any information about when a kiosk will come to Boston?[/QUO

Absolutely. I fly r/t from Mexico to IAH 2x a year and it easily saves me an hour. When it 's a tight connection it's crucial. $100 for five years? I eat that many McDonalds in the airport in a year.
As you pass through YYZ, NEXUS would be a better option. It's cheaper ($50 vs $100 for GE), gets you expedited entry into Canada and the US, get front of line privileges at the CATSA security line and includes GE for free.

Once you join NEXUS or GE (as a US citizen), you can join Viajero Confiable in Mexico (1,372 MXP), SES in South Korea ($100 US), FLUX in the Netherlands (€121 a year) and get to use SmartGate in Australia for free. Also, you get Precheck on all eligible airlines as a NEXUS or GE member.

Last edited by dustman81; Aug 23, 2014 at 1:55 pm
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
I haven't entered the US at ORD for about a year now.

Do they have a dedicated GE-exit at the customs meanwhile? How's the situation since the APC are open to ESTA-travellers?

Although I have with 1:45h enough time to make my connection, I'm a bit worried that I'll spend more time at the customs than anywhere else.

Bonus question: I read somewhere in this thread that an incoming international flight disables TSApre on a connecting flight. Is that still the case?
My last BPs always indicated TSApre for the connecting flight (departing from IAD), but lack of TSApre at IAD midfield I could never test it...
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by unblack
Bonus question: I read somewhere in this thread that an incoming international flight disables TSApre on a connecting flight. Is that still the case?
My last BPs always indicated TSApre for the connecting flight (departing from IAD), but lack of TSApre at IAD midfield I could never test it...
Don't know for sure. Didn't got TSApre last time. Of course my BP's got printed by KLM (non-eligible airline) at AMS. All Delta booked/operated flights. Even after getting new Delta BP's at a Delta SC lounge for my next 2 connecting flights after the TATL flight no sign of TSApre.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by unblack
Definitely not true. I have had fairly bad luck, but my wife has gotten Pre on her connecting flight coming back into the US with GE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.