Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
The X does not actually mean secondary screening, it means additional scrutiny. For example, if you declare meat products, you get the X, even if they are fully legal, and depending on the case, Customs does not even send you to secondary.
If you declare something at the kiosk you get an O on the receipt, not an X. However, you're correct that neither an O nor an X means an automatic secondary. Whenever I've gotten an X (bad fingerprint reading due to dry hands) and the one time with an O (exceeded the duty free allowance) I was stamped through and sent on my way (or to the duty counter in the case of the O).
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:38 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Majuki
If you declare something at the kiosk you get an O on the receipt, not an X. However, you're correct that neither an O nor an X means an automatic secondary. Whenever I've gotten an X (bad fingerprint reading due to dry hands) and the one time with an O (exceeded the duty free allowance) I was stamped through and sent on my way (or to the duty counter in the case of the O).
If you declare meat products, it is an X ... trust me, I know, from bringing foie gras back to the US a few times.

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:29 am

If you declare meat products, it is an X ... trust me, I know, from bringing foie gras back to the US a few times.

GenevaFlyer
This doesn't match my experience from January where my traveling companion declared meat products and got an O on the receipt. The O receipt says "Report to baggage control". The X receipt says "Report to passport control". In my recent experience, answering yes to one of the customs questions with no other factors will result in the O receipt.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 3:23 pm

They told me that with recent policy change certain groups of people will automatically get an x every time, like me. Since people with visas were "forgetting" to tell them their visas expired.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
This doesn't match my experience from January where my traveling companion declared meat products and got an O on the receipt. The O receipt says "Report to baggage control". The X receipt says "Report to passport control". In my recent experience, answering yes to one of the customs questions with no other factors will result in the O receipt.
My experience disclosing black truffles echos this.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:50 am

Must have been a recent change then. Last time I did, it was the X .... but maybe it comes from not being a US citizen/permanent resident.

I'll just have to try again in the future :P
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:05 am

Must have been a recent change then. Last time I did, it was the X .... but maybe it comes from not being a US citizen/permanent resident.

It's hard to say. I'm not trying to start an argument here but rather reporting my experiences. My wife and I both received the O receipt in October when returning (answered yes to exceeding the duty free allowance), and a friend declared some meat products in late January and also got the O.

The X might have been due to something else. I kept getting the X due to bad fingerprint reads, for instance.

At any rate, the kiosk, even with the X or O, is usually much faster than the regular lanes. ^
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:39 am

It's hard to say. I'm not trying to start an argument here but rather reporting my experiences. My wife and I both received the O receipt in October when returning (answered yes to exceeding the duty free allowance), and a friend declared some meat products in late January and also got the O.

The X might have been due to something else. I kept getting the X due to bad fingerprint reads, for instance.

At any rate, the kiosk, even with the X or O, is usually much faster than the regular lanes. ^
No argument indeed. The GE system has evolved over time, and they have made regular changes, so no surprise if they now split customs issues from immigrations issues.

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
I recently applied for Global Entry as I was interested in getting TSA Pre Check access, and rather than paying the $85 fee for just TSA Pre Check, I read online it made more sense to just apply for GE as it also gave me TSA Pre Check access as well as expedited entry through customs at US airports (for $15 more than Pre Check alone). While I travel internationally probably once or twice a year, was this a good call on my part, or should I just have applied for TSA Pre Check?

In addition, my middle name is not listed on my passport, however my middle initial is on my driver's license. Since I'll be using my passport as proof of US citizenship for GE interview, and once I get approved, will this be an issue if a flight reservation has my middle initial, but my GE record does not?

Lastly, I saw other programs such as NEXUS, etc. What is the difference? (please excuse my ignorance ) Thanks!

Last edited by FlyingSky; Mar 25, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FlyingSky
I recently applied for Global Entry as I was interested in getting TSA Pre Check access, and rather than paying the $85 fee for just TSA Pre Check, I read online it made more sense to just apply for GE as it also gave me TSA Pre Check access as well as expedited entry through customs at US airports (for $15 more than Pre Check alone). While I travel internationally probably once or twice a year, was this a good call on my part, or should I just have applied for TSA Pre Check?

In addition, my middle name is not listed on my passport, however my middle initial is on my driver's license. Since I'll be using my passport as proof of US citizenship for GE interview, and once I get approved, will this be an issue if a flight reservation has my middle initial, but my GE record does not?

Lastly, I saw other programs such as NEXUS, etc. What is the difference? (please excuse my ignorance ) Thanks!
GE does seem to be the best option for you, as you can take advantage of GE when flying internationally, and TSA Pre when flying domestic. The other Trusted Traveler programs of NEXUS and SENTRI are designed for people that live either on the Canadian border (Nexus) or the Mexican border (Sentri) and are likely to use the land border. Those programs require an in-person interview conducted by both the US and the partner country, which can be challenging to schedule if you don't actually live in a border state. However, NEXUS and SENTRI members are eligible for GE and Pre. NEXUS is $50 for 5 years, so a bit cheaper than GE. SENTRI is probably more with all the fees.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt Plat.
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
GE does seem to be the best option for you, as you can take advantage of GE when flying internationally, and TSA Pre when flying domestic. The other Trusted Traveler programs of NEXUS and SENTRI are designed for people that live either on the Canadian border (Nexus) or the Mexican border (Sentri) and are likely to use the land border. Those programs require an in-person interview conducted by both the US and the partner country, which can be challenging to schedule if you don't actually live in a border state. However, NEXUS and SENTRI members are eligible for GE and Pre. NEXUS is $50 for 5 years, so a bit cheaper than GE. SENTRI is probably more with all the fees.
Thanks for the reply! In the waiting process now, hopefully will be able to get GE before my next series of trips (domestic and intl) in May.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:34 pm

Yes it was a recent change, my understanding was that the policy changed within the last few months.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Anyone here with recent experience doing a Global Entry renewal? My friend just completed the renewal online, received conditional approval the next day, and is now getting an email telling her to schedule an interview. The "schedule interview" button also appears in her GOES account. I told her to ignore those emails as renewals don't require an interview. Is that still the case?

When I renewed last year I received the email about "conditional approval" and got a new GE card about a week later. I did not do an interview.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by paule123
Anyone here with recent experience doing a Global Entry renewal? My friend just completed the renewal online, received conditional approval the next day, and is now getting an email telling her to schedule an interview. The "schedule interview" button also appears in her GOES account. I told her to ignore those emails as renewals don't require an interview. Is that still the case?

When I renewed last year I received the email about "conditional approval" and got a new GE card about a week later. I did not do an interview.
I believe the interview is only optionally waived at renewal.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paule123

I renewed recently and the wanted an interview. Agent at the interview wasn't really sure why but said the system told him it wanted a new photo and fingerprints so that's what we did. He was actually jazzed to have a "pioneer" for GE in for a renewal as he said that not many folks had been in the program long enough to be ready to renew. Had a nice chat and I was still out and back in my car before my actual scheduled time since I had arrived about 10 minutes early. So - don't ignore the interview request/button as it is required if they ask for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.