Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by greggarious
Can a Global Entry card function like a passport card when crossing a land border?
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
No.
Not exactly. See: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...EzbjFfbA%3D%3D
Originally Posted by CBP
Land or Sea Travel: U.S. citizens entering the United States by land or sea are required to present a valid WHTI-compliant document, which include:

U.S. Passports
U.S. Passport Cards
Enhanced Driver's Licenses
Trusted Traveler Cards (Global Entry*, NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST)
Military Identification Cards (for members of the U.S. armed forces on official orders)
U.S. Merchant Mariner Document (for U.S. citizens on official maritime business)
*The Global Entry (GE) card is only an ENTRY document and may not be used to enter Canada, Mexico or Adjacent Island.
GE Card will get you back in from Canada, but it won't get you in to Canada, so not sure how useful.

Last edited by pleasantsn; Aug 4, 2014 at 5:27 pm Reason: Added quotes, minor changes
Old Aug 5, 2014, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by pleasantsn
Not exactly. See: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...EzbjFfbA%3D%3D

GE Card will get you back in from Canada, but it won't get you in to Canada, so not sure how useful.
Yes, so it is not passport-like in that respect, hence my "no". If in doubt take the passport is always my advice, you only have to catch a CBP somewhere for you to have a nightmare of a day.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Question about GE... is the GE card itself used anywhere / for anything? Or is everything stored in my passport / KTN?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by agp423
Question about GE... is the GE card itself used anywhere / for anything? Or is everything stored in my passport / KTN?
You use your passport or green card to enter at airports. The only use for the GE card would be by cross by land back into the US if you want to use the Nexus or SENTRI lanes. It cannot be used heading into another country though. It's also good as a second ID or to confuse the TSA travel document checkers at airports. It's handy too because it doesn't contain your home address like a driver's license or evidence of travel history like a passport book.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 7:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Thanks for the answer. I guess I will keep it tucked in my drawer with credit cards I don't use.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by Majuki
You use your passport or green card to enter at airports. The only use for the GE card would be by cross by land back into the US if you want to use the Nexus or SENTRI lanes. It cannot be used heading into another country though. It's also good as a second ID or to confuse the TSA travel document checkers at airports. It's handy too because it doesn't contain your home address like a driver's license or evidence of travel history like a passport book.
And required if going to New Zealand and using the Global Entry Lane (never asked for it though). Also a handy government ID/verification of birthday for children when abroad.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Majuki
Couple of points. It can be activated for use of Nexus going to Canada, but that requires having an interview with CBP in Canada and submitting an application. As for coming back from Mexico, if you want to drive a vehicle through the SENTRI lanes you must have the vehicle inspected by US Customs at a SENTRI enrollment center. Otherwise the card just allows you to enter via the pedestrian SENTRI lanes.

Also the card will work for any sea entry or rail entry.

The only time I carry it though is when I go to Australia. They allow US citizens enrolled in GE to use the entry gates for immigration just like their citizens. However if you have problems getting the gate to recognize you I've found it's best to have proof of GE enrollment.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:37 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The only time I carry it though is when I go to Australia. They allow US citizens enrolled in GE to use the entry gates for immigration just like their citizens. However if you have problems getting the gate to recognize you I've found it's best to have proof of GE enrollment.
All travelers over 15 years old and holding U.S. e-Passports are now eligible to use SmartGate.

Last edited by 14940674; Aug 13, 2014 at 9:26 am Reason: Age Requirement
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 14940674
All travelers with U.S. e-Passports are now eligible to use SmartGate.
As long as the passport holder is 16 or over.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 14940674
All travelers with U.S. e-Passports are now eligible to use SmartGate.
Nice. I knew they were considering the change from GE enrolled only to all, but didn't know they had changed. Now I won't be the one getting stuck always getting the rental vehicle, while business associate/family/friend/whoever I'm with has to deal with immigration and customs.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Nice. I knew they were considering the change from GE enrolled only to all, but didn't know they had changed. Now I won't be the one getting stuck always getting the rental vehicle, while business associate/family/friend/whoever I'm with has to deal with immigration and customs.
Just as long as you don't end up on an episode of Border Security.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
As long as the passport holder is 16 or over.
Thank you. I have edited my post accordingly.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Another very annoying experience at LAX last weekend. Apparently the CBP supervisor decided that all GE luggage should be xrayed prior to exiting customs. Note that non-GE participants were not being harassed but simply permitted to exit after dropping off their forms. I was told this was part of the random "trust but verify" procedures to "keep everyone honest."

LAX is the definitely the worst place for GE holders - the only place I am repeatedly harassed by CBP in one way or another, either via interrogation or otherwise as was the case here.

I get that they have to spot check once in a while but to harass every single GE member is stupid and pointless.

On a more positive note, GE proves its metal once again at IAH. No less than half a dozen flights appear to arrive from Latin America and elsewhere at the same early morning hour with the resulting lines. But no delays for GE kiosks and also a special express line at the CBP exit.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
LAX is the definitely the worst place for GE holders - the only place I am repeatedly harassed by CBP in one way or another, either via interrogation or otherwise as was the case here.
I've never been harassed at LAX with GE, and LAX has been my primary entry point into the US since signing up for GE. My experience has been limited to TBIT though, so I don't know if it's different at other terminals.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
LAX is the definitely the worst place.
That's all you had to say !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.