Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by norenewa
Is GE worthwhile for an extended family traveling together from BWI to SAN HNL NRT GUM MNL GUM BWI? I am going with elderly parents, sisters, and children ranging from 15 to 18. Most only travel two times a year but one of the trips will be this big one. I have my interview tomorrow for GE but wondering if I should get the rest of the group GE.
I have no idea what lines are like in Guam, but with only two entries into the US my view is it's not worth the hassle of coordinating for everyone. GE is usually worth it, but only if you're going to use it on an on-going basis. The time savings isn't likely to be so great that it makes up for filling out the form, going to the site for an interview, and $100.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Is GE worthwhile for an extended family traveling together from BWI to SAN HNL NRT GUM MNL GUM BWI? I am going with elderly parents, sisters, and children ranging from 15 to 18. Most only travel two times a year but one of the trips will be this big one. I have my interview tomorrow for GE but wondering if I should get the rest of the group GE.
You're showing two GUM entries but how are you getting back from GUM-BWI. That matters. GUM-HNL-US49 has no "entry" but the GE card can be handy for GUM immigration preclearance but may not preclude you from using the blue form for HNL customs. GUM-NRT-US49 will depend on which entry point (obviously not BWI) and time of day, etc. Either way, GUM-US49 you'll have two chances of PreCheck, but maybe only if you are not transiting GUM and not use Canadian preclearance.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 5:37 am

The return flight is GUM NRT HOU BWI on UA. I was also thinking of the added benefit of TSA Pre for this trip and future trips over the next 5 years. I just received my GE approval yesterday and I asked CBP officer about TSA Pre and he said it is a separate application. Is this true? If so, then maybe GE is not worth it. What do you think?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 6:41 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
The return flight is GUM NRT HOU BWI on UA. I was also thinking of the added benefit of TSA Pre for this trip and future trips over the next 5 years. I just received my GE approval yesterday and I asked CBP officer about TSA Pre and he said it is a separate application. Is this true? If so, then maybe GE is not worth it. What do you think?
Not true. Once you have GE you're also good to go for Pre√. He was confusing the fact you can apply separately just for Pre√ without getting GE. Just add your GE information into your UA profile under the Known Traveler Number/Pass ID section.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 11:39 am

Ok. Thank you for the information.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Not true. Once you have GE you're also good to go for Pre√. He was confusing the fact you can apply separately just for Pre√ without getting GE. Just add your GE information into your UA profile under the Known Traveler Number/Pass ID section.
I fly on AA (also I'm EXP), I've been with GE since 2009. When pre-check started, I seem to remember that (without any input from me) AA had my GE number.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
I fly on AA (also I'm EXP), I've been with GE since 2009. When pre-check started, I seem to remember that (without any input from me) AA had my GE number.
Unlikely. You would have been eligible for Precheck by "opting in" due to your AA status in the early days. Alternatively, you could put your GE Trusted Traveler number in your AA profile. Or both (which some have suggested minimizes the number of times you'll be denied).
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by drewguy
I have no idea what lines are like in Guam, but with only two entries into the US my view is it's not worth the hassle of coordinating for everyone. GE is usually worth it, but only if you're going to use it on an on-going basis. The time savings isn't likely to be so great that it makes up for filling out the form, going to the site for an interview, and $100.
All it takes is one 45 minute wait when you arrive after two 747s to change your perspective We signed up both our children who only travel internationally 1-2x/yr and find the price to be well worth the convenience. After a long flight the last thing you want to do is stand in line with young children who don't understand why they are waiting (nor do I have a good answer for them given the # of illegals that pour across the borders or just overstay visas). So yes, I find it well worth the money. If your time savings isn't worth $20 per year (not to mention pre-check) then maybe you shouldn't be buying international tix.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 3:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by danville 1K
You can also get the number entered into the individual PNRs without having it stored as part of the airline's FF profile.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by saint
I just called the Chula Vista Office and they said it's not working online. She was kind enough to schedule me for the initial interview at the San Ysidro office. The # in case anyone needs it is 619-690-7600
Thank you. The online booking is not working so finding this number in this thread was invaluable. The person was able to schedule us at Otay Mesa when it turned out there indeed were no appointments available at San Ysidro.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Having two known traveller numbers, one with DOD and one with Global Entry, what if any advantages are there by using one over the other for domestic flights?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
To the best of my knowledge there is no benefit to having more than one trusted traveler number. Personally, I would think that the number from DOD would give you greater 'clearance' and thus would give you a higher likelihood of getting PreCheck domestically, etc.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 5:57 pm

Question

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you. The online booking is not working so finding this number in this thread was invaluable. The person was able to schedule us at Otay Mesa when it turned out there indeed were no appointments available at San Ysidro.
Hi 1K, am I correct that you scheduled the GE interview in Otay? I don't see any San Diego listings on the GE website (or is this a known issue and I'm asking a noob question?). Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2014, 10:56 pm

Does anyone know where the "Global Entry Initial Enrollment
Dollar General Travel" location for the interview? I live in New Orleans and there are no GOES around me. I am traveling to Las Vegas at the end of the month but unfortunately all slots are filled for that time period...
Old Feb 18, 2014, 8:12 am

How long does a Global Entry interview usually take? TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.