Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2011, 7:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
After reading some recent posts in this thread, I rechecked when my GE expires, it expires on my birthday in Nov. of 2014--will they send me a notification close to that date?--I would hate to try using a kiosk and find I'm locked out.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
So I applied on 4/11, and mine STILL says 'pending review', is it normal for it to be taking this long?
xolinlevh, any updates on how long it took? I applied 4/24 and mine still says pending as well.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
xolinlevh, any updates on how long it took? I applied 4/24 and mine still says pending as well.
FS-Mom applied on 4/15, and was just approved on 5/6. I've noticed GE being advertised in airline magazines, websites, Amex plat cardholders. I would bet that they are a bit backed up with applications.
Old May 9, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Applied 4/19, conditionally approved 5/9, interview scheduled 5/19. Still waiting on the actual letter to show up in the GOES account inbox.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:00 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Depends on so many factors, such as how many aircraft are there, CBP staff working, etc.. Agree with the five minutes to two hours..
I flew YQR-ORD(-FLL) last week and although I was the last off our plane (roughly 40 people on a UA/Skywest CRJ-200), I was the first through Customs and onto the interterminal train because I used GE, even though I had a bag checked. Our bags were arriving on the carousel as I did my work at the GE kiosk.

NEXUS user who got automatically entered into GE, not that it matters.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Yuri Vanetik
This program is amazing... the smartest development (and long overdue) that I have seen for years. If you travel with a carry-on, you can be out of the airport in minutes. Yuri
Couldn't agree more. The pessimist in me wants to think that it's only a matter of time until some idiot figures a way to scam the system and gets the whole thing shut down or to use UA-lingo "enhanced" in a way that eliminates all the benefit.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by milepig
Couldn't agree more. The pessimist in me wants to think that it's only a matter of time until some idiot figures a way to scam the system and gets the whole thing shut down or to use UA-lingo "enhanced" in a way that eliminates all the benefit.
Here is a government run program where people are trusted and vetted, so that they can be admitted into the country without even talking or seeing an agent, yet the TSA wants to molest you to get on a plane to travel within the country. Stupidity at work.

Their trusted traveler program should mirror the CBP, but I'm sure they will screw it up in its entirety and make life h#ll for everyone involved. (especially when they continue to lose the data they have taken both voluntarily and involuntarily through the airlines, etc)
Old May 10, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Here is a government run program where people are trusted and vetted, so that they can be admitted into the country without even talking or seeing an agent, yet the TSA wants to molest you to get on a plane to travel within the country. Stupidity at work.
While certainly TSA could develop a better program, I don't think the direct comparison is quite so obvious. For one thing, you may not see an agent when using GE, but they see you, as do the drug sniffing dogs and the computers that track suspicious overseas activity. If you became a problem traveler after being accepted in the program, there are plenty of ways to stop you upon entry.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by milepig
I doubt it will be a "scam" or hack so much as some audit shows that ICE is missing a lot of smuggling.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by drewguy
While certainly TSA could develop a better program, I don't think the direct comparison is quite so obvious. For one thing, you may not see an agent when using GE, but they see you, as do the drug sniffing dogs and the computers that track suspicious overseas activity. If you became a problem traveler after being accepted in the program, there are plenty of ways to stop you upon entry.
So what's the difference? TSA isn't saying you won't be abused, they are saying that the trusted traveler is straight to the xray without the chance of irradiation. If you blow it, you aren't allowed through that avenue anymore, and have to deal with the molestation, excuse me patdown. They are very similar processes but TSA will not leverage the great work that CBP has done and instead will invest millions of our money into a wasted effort that is an excuse to further mine the personal data of millions of Americans and others.
Old May 10, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by GoingAway

Their trusted traveler program should mirror the CBP, but I'm sure they will screw it up in its entirety and make life h#ll for everyone involved. (especially when they continue to lose the data they have taken both voluntarily and involuntarily through the airlines, etc)
You can't really compare the programs (or potential programs) as the agencies have different purposes.

If somebody gets thru GE (or "turns bad" after acceptance) what is the worse that happens? -- some smuggling goes on. Not a good thing, but not the end of the world. And if some OD's on some drugs smuggled in, it's not likely that somebody points a finger at GE as the "culprit."

What happens if the same thing happens to some future TSA "Trusted Traveller" program -- planes get hijacked/blown up/people die.

I think the most you'll see is something like Clear where you get a shortened line and that is about it.
Old May 11, 2011, 2:54 am

I think the most you'll see is something like Clear where you get a shortened line and that is about it.
As I recall CLEAR was a privatly owned venture that went bankrupt and the member data was sold to marketing companies, which created a quite a scandal since it contained sensitive info such as social security numbers etc.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
FS-Mom applied on 4/15, and was just approved on 5/6. I've noticed GE being advertised in airline magazines, websites, Amex plat cardholders. I would bet that they are a bit backed up with applications.

Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
Applied 4/19, conditionally approved 5/9, interview scheduled 5/19. Still waiting on the actual letter to show up in the GOES account inbox.
So looks like the turnaround is approximately 3 weeks. Hopefully I'll have my approval by next week and I can make an appointment and get this taken care of before my trip to Europe Memorial Day weekend.
Old May 11, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Just had my interview at LAX and got my final approval within 12 hours. I applied in early April and the turnaround was about a week. Looks like Amex has really clogged up the system...
Old May 12, 2011, 6:58 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Have a new passport and went online to change the number. It immediately found me and put in the dates so ...

do I have to do anything else? Do I need that little CPB sticker in the back that no one's ever looked at?

Since you can't access the list of enrollment centers unless you have an open application I can't find out where to go to get the sticker anyway.

Feeback appreciated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.