Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

That is not correct - the normal form is not needed for GE - period. The immig officer needs to mark the paper, that indicates a pass or go via customs insp to exit. No manual forms - if you have something else happening and are being told to fill out the blue/white form, it could be they are still learning the process
Well, in the case of non-US residents/citizens, you definitely do need to fill out the immigration form, as that's where your visa waiver receipt comes from if GE does not print it.

I recently had a fail at JFK (the machine timed out after reading my prints), and it only printed one paper with an X, instead of the two I need as a Dutch citizen.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, DL, BA, LH
I just used my GE for the first time, it rocks! We were the 5th of 7 747's to arrive at SFO. The line was way down the hall before the cordons. I walked by everyone, and was in baggage claim in seconds.

Is there a separate GE line at SFO to leave customs/baggage claim? I didn't see one, if there is, can someone tell me where? Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by fsfguy
I just used my GE for the first time, it rocks! We were the 5th of 7 747's to arrive at SFO. The line was way down the hall before the cordons. I walked by everyone, and was in baggage claim in seconds.
It's a really nice feeling, isn't it?^

Is there a separate GE line at SFO to leave customs/baggage claim? I didn't see one, if there is, can someone tell me where? Thanks!
I was also unable to find a GE line when I flew back to SFO from SYD. Perhaps they don't have one?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: *Alliance
Will be using my new GE soon. The application was easy and the appointment was fast. One small complaint - the interviewing officer went over a lot of the questions in the application asking the same questions. Also had a printout of my past entries he was checking against my rememberance of my overseas trips. Made me feel like he was trying to trip me up on an answer rather than truly gather info (after all it was already on the app). Like I had to prove I was telling the truth -- TSA seems all about intimidation and presumption of guilt these days...sigh.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite

There is no dedicated GE customs/baggage line at SFO unfortunately.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888
There is no dedicated GE customs/baggage line at SFO unfortunately.
That's too bad, thanks for letting me know. I was concerned I might be missing out.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Wirelessly posted (goingaway\'s phone: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer

That is not correct - the normal form is not needed for GE - period. The immig officer needs to mark the paper, that indicates a pass or go via customs insp to exit. No manual forms - if you have something else happening and are being told to fill out the blue/white form, it could be they are still learning the process
Well, in the case of non-US residents/citizens, you definitely do need to fill out the immigration form, as that's where your visa waiver receipt comes from if GE does not print it.

I recently had a fail at JFK (the machine timed out after reading my prints), and it only printed one paper with an X, instead of the two I need as a Dutch citizen.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
That's fine - but it isn't the blue/white form I referenced. The clarification that you are in GE and not a citizen will make your exception process different, I am not surprised your exp would differ.

Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
Will be using my new GE soon. The application was easy and the appointment was fast. One small complaint - the interviewing officer went over a lot of the questions in the application asking the same questions. Also had a printout of my past entries he was checking against my rememberance of my overseas trips. Made me feel like he was trying to trip me up on an answer rather than truly gather info (after all it was already on the app). Like I had to prove I was telling the truth -- TSA seems all about intimidation and presumption of guilt these days...sigh.
CBP is not TSA, both are part of DHS

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
[
I was told at LAX for my interview and at ORD where I got the sticker to always keep a blue form handy. When I know I am over my exemption, I prefer to produce a written declaration so that I don't get into a case he said/she said about my claimed valuation. GE was difficult for me to get, and I don't want to lose it over a misunderstood verbal declaration.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 8:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Bonnerbl
Did you do the appointment at SFO? I didn't like my interview either, basically for similar reasons.

Originally Posted by jiejie
Yes. There will be a change on the GOES website under your account--login to see it. It may take a day or so after the interview, especially if your interview is during the weekend. You may also get an email from GOES that advises you to go to the site and check for a change in status.
I'm seeing:
Code:
:: Program Membership(s) :: 
Program             Membership No.    Status      Renewal
Global Entry  	xxxxxxxxxx  	Approved   	xxxx-xx-xx
As well as a Conditional Approval Notification at the top.

Is this right? I was told by the CBP officer to wait for an email re: status change, but received no such email.

Thanks.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jun 21, 2010 at 1:54 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; UA; AA
The opportunity to forego conversation with the "welcoming" border guards @ JFK is worth every penny of the membership fee, as far as I am concerned.

I have now used said opportunity some 5 times, and am I looking forward to more!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by StefanNYC
The opportunity to forego conversation with the "welcoming" border guards @ JFK is worth every penny of the membership fee, as far as I am concerned.

I have now used said opportunity some 5 times, and am I looking forward to more!

Agreed. I haven't had any conversations with the officers at passport control since I became a member. That plus skipping the line make the program worth every penny. And, as a NEXUS member, I got it for free!
Old Jun 21, 2010, 3:32 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Is CBP following this board? I got an email today regarding my status change => approved. Interesting. My interview was almost a month ago.

Originally Posted by Palal
Did you do the appointment at SFO? I didn't like my interview either, basically for similar reasons.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 6:19 pm

I did the interview at SFO, they did ask me some of the questions I'd filled out though they were very polite, friendly even and I felt they were looking for mistakes like when you have to enter your email address a second time rather than grilling me for the prosecution.

They hadn't done many interviews yet when I was there and it turned into a group effort on their part. There was also a delay when my hands were too dry to scan and they sent me to the bathroom to wet my hands. Though all told, I don't think I was there for more than 15 minutes. Well worth the hassle saved at immigration.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Is CBP following this board? I got an email today regarding my status change => approved. Interesting. My interview was almost a month ago.

Do you have a complex CBP record? Extensive foreign travel in the past 7 years, declared goods, etc? Those kinds of things can slow down the approval process.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Well, after reading this thread, I've decided to go for it... application for GE (alone) in by GOES tonight - will check back in as the process proceeds. Given that I've travelled heavily in the past 5 years, I expect it may take them a little while to process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.