Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
You can log in to GOES online and enter your new passport information in to your profile and you'll be good to go.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by RobertS975
Currently have GE, but have just renewed passport. Do I have to visit the GE office at BOS Logan (which I assume is just open weekdays during the day) or can the regular CBP office at Logan handle the passport transition?
You can go to any Global Entry Enrollment Center. No Appointment necessary. But your Passport will NOT work until it is registered in the Global Entry System, so try getting it registered before leaving the country. There is no additional fees to have this done. You may register as many passports as you like, with some limitations. If your a U.S. Citizen, you may register all the U.S. Passports you can get your hands on.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
You can log in to GOES online and enter your new passport information in to your profile and you'll be good to go.
You can change some things in your GOES account. Registering a new passport must be done at a Global Entry Enrollment Center.

Besides, how will you get the cool sticker if you do it online.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 6059B
You can change some things in your GOES account. Registering a new passport must be done at a Global Entry Enrollment Center.

You can update the new pp info online. You do NOT need an appt. to have a new sticker put on--they will compare your actual pp with the updated info to see that they match.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: SAA, DL, BA, UA, IHG, SPG
Originally Posted by 6059B

I just changed my passport information online a few weeks ago, and stopped by ORD to get the sticker when I happened to be passing through. The sticker can be good to have, but it's not a necessity.

I also called the NEXUS enrollment center I got NEXUS at to verify that that was all I needed to do to continue using NEXUS and they said I was good to go.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by aviationwiz
I just changed my passport information online a few weeks ago, and stopped by ORD to get the sticker when I happened to be passing through. The sticker can be good to have, but it's not a necessity.

I also called the NEXUS enrollment center I got NEXUS at to verify that that was all I needed to do to continue using NEXUS and they said I was good to go.
NEXUS is not Global Entry. Two separate programs. When you get an "X" for some mysterious reason, you should then take your passport to an enrollment center so that they can "Scan" it into the system.

Without "scanning" it into the system, it will be hit or miss when you use the Kiosk. If the airline makes ANY error in the manifest, even a spacing error in your name, you could get the dreaded "X".

Say you last name is McCloud, but your Passport shows Mc Cloud, that's all it needs to cause an error.

If you never have an error, then great. But if I was depending on the machine working every time, I'd have it scanned.

NEXUS tell inaccurate Global Entry information all the time.

and on that note, not every Global Entry Enrollment Center gets it right either.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 11:12 pm

Showed up to my Global Entry appt 10 mins late after waiting 5 weeks for conditional online approval. When I told the agent my appointment time, the agent told me there's nothing he can do for me right now. And that was all he said. He just stared at me, waiting for me to leave. What customer service...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by flyerred
Showed up to my Global Entry appt 10 mins late after waiting 5 weeks for conditional online approval. When I told the agent my appointment time, the agent told me there's nothing he can do for me right now. And that was all he said. He just stared at me, waiting for me to leave. What customer service...
Sorry, but it wasn't his fault you were late
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:35 am

The Nexus center told me I was all set for Global Entry as well and put the sticker in my booklet passport saying I was good to go? Should I believe them?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
The Nexus center told me I was all set for Global Entry as well and put the sticker in my booklet passport saying I was good to go? Should I believe them?
Why not?
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan - Elite Status. DL Skymiles - Regular Status
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Yes - that's my case as well. The CBP Nexus officer placed the sticker in my passport. Worked like a charm at IAH when I flew home from Mexico.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Changed my passport info on the GOES site... had to change the damn password as the passwords apparently expire after a time. The GOES password rules are a pain in the "arse". Letters, numbers, capitals, and symbols!
Old Jun 26, 2011, 10:31 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Interesting... when I had my offical, they let me have it and my tourist... I now have 2 Dip and 2 Tourist, and there has been no problem registering all....

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
damn, I tried adding my Official Passport, back when I signed up (very early on when IAH was one of just three airports doing it) and they wouldn't let me add the government passport. I have asked again twice, once in the office, and once at a booth (got the X) and they said they couldn't do it. Oh well, IAH always lets me cut the line with non-GE family, so that's ok LOL...
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by GoingAway
Sorry, but it wasn't his fault you were late
True, but given that the appointments are scheduled for 30 mins (or so) it seems unnecessarily harsh to turn someone away without further explanation.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by nrr
You can update the new pp info online. You do NOT need an appt. to have a new sticker put on--they will compare your actual pp with the updated info to see that they match.
This. I updated passport info online when I received my new passport. I didn't get around to getting the sticker for 3 months. No need to make a special trip--just do it when you're at/near the airport anyway. The system will still recognize you if you've updated your passport.

Oddly, when I got the sticker, all the guy did was look at my old passport, the picture, and that I had the sticker already. Didn't confirm it was in the system or anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.