Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by joet00
Our experience:

Son #1
Mid-March: Mailed paper application
Late-March: Fee charged to his credit card.
June 23: Not having heard anything, called the Processing centre. Was told application was "just" approved. Given NEXUS number to create GOES account and book appointment.
As of today, we still haven't received the mailed Approval Notification.

Son #2
Early-March: Submitted application via GOES.
April 4: Conditional Approval
(About 23 days!!)

The Conditional Approval mentions:

Boys are booked together in about 2 weeks. Son#1 hasn't received this letter. Since his was a paper application, it can't be printed from GOES.

Is this a deal-breaker?
It seems that Son #1 has GOES account - there should be "Conditional Approval Notification" letter in the Mailbox (a.k.a. "Message Inbox") on the first page when you login to GOES. At least this is where I found it. It can be printed.

Last edited by Iceland; Jun 30, 2017 at 5:57 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Iceland
It seems that Son #1 has GOES account - there should be "Conditional Approval Notification" letter in the Mailbox (a.k.a. "Message Inbox") on the first page when you login to GOES. At least this is where I found it. It can be printed.
GOES account was created after the conditional approval. (Son#1 was a paper, mailed in app) Therefore can't access the conditional approval letter online.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by m_ash
I applied for renewal mid-April, still waiting on an update. Based on recent posts, seems like I may have a few more weeks to go.

In the meantime, I also need to get my (Canadian) passport renewed in order to travel later this summer. Will applying for a passport renewal have any effect on my Nexus renewal? I'm not sure if the passport number changes when you renew, and I want to avoid CBSA having out of date info when they're trying to process my Nexus renewal. I can put off the passport renewal a bit longer, but if it's not going to make a difference, I'd prefer to do it now. Any thoughts?
justbhave the new passport with you when you do your interview. They will update without any questions - this happens frequently, and especially they've know when expiry date is a few months away.

Originally Posted by Hernendez
You can update your passport information online in Goes anytime , so I wouldn't worry about that.
Usually, yes, but when you have a pending application, you can not update the info. Also, as noted in various places, even if you could update in GOES, the Canadian side won't get it, and you need to update in person.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
GOES account was created after the conditional approval. (Son#1 was a paper, mailed in app) Therefore can't access the conditional approval letter online.
Oh, I see. In my case, I also used paper app, but I phoned after 4 weeks or so and was given PASSID, created GOES account and linked to passid before conditional approval/ That's why I guess I got letter in GOES account.
BTW, letter has nothing special, only relevant info is PASSID (aka membership number). It does say to bring the original letter with you, though.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:04 am

My experience ...

Applied: 3-May
Estimated processing time back then: 51 days (71 days today 4-Jul)

Conditional approval email: 1-Jul @ 11:15 am (Canada Day)
Actual processing time: 42 days

Interview scheduled: 3-Jul @ 8:30 am (someone must have cancelled due to Canada Day long weekend)
Center: Buffalo - Fort Erie

Presented at reception @ 8:20 am - formally dressed (point to note). Nice lady asked for passports, PR cards, and driver licenses ... and specifically says "I DO NOT need Nexus conditional approval letter"

I ask if she'd like to see my ESTA approval (my online GOES screen displayed "Applicants utilizing the Visa Waiver program must present at the interview a valid I-94W and/or proof of ESTA"). She said "not us, but let me ask the US side". I assume she represented the Canadian side. Well, the "US side" did not needed ESTA either, so she asked me to pack all documents and wait

Sharp @ 8:30 am we (myself, wife and 15-yr daughter) got called in the interview room with 2 desks on either side - a Canadian CBSA officer and a US CBP lady officer. Canadian officer was a gentleman - very soft spoken - took my iris scan, even made me view captured scan on his screen ... whilst US lady officer called my wife and took her fingerprints. We swap places, in about 5 minutes, all 3 of us had completed iris and fingerprint scan. The Canadian Officer gives me a pouch containing all our passports, PR cards and driving licenses ... and asks us to follow a "yellow line" to another counter. That's it - NO questions asked.

As an aside, I asked the US Officer as to why she needed to scan our fingerprints again as they (CBA) already have them on record because of ESTA. She said ESTA fingerprints are on a different system than NEXUS

So, we follow the yellow marked line to another counter where another elderly and friendly Canadian CBSA officer took the pouch, made us sit in a cubicle and explained how to use Nexus card in Canada. He then said "now let me find a US officer", and no sooner I heard someone say "yep, I'm free here". We move to the next cubicle where a young but stern US officer explained how to use the Nexus in the US. He returns our passports, PR cards and driving licenses ... and we were done by 8:40ish

Received "Approved" email @ 9:20 am same day. Now waiting for cards to arrive

Last edited by bertie.enochs; Jul 4, 2017 at 11:18 am
Old Jul 4, 2017, 4:53 pm

Hi there,
I am trying to apply for NEXUS for my family (wife and two kids, ages 5 and 3) as we travel between US and Canada a few times a year. Due to work obligations, I sometimes do not get to travel with them though.

In applying for NEXUS, I have a few questions:
1. If I am physically not with my family, can I fill out applications for all of us, then have my wife and kids do an interview in Canada while I do one in the U.S.?

2. Has anyone seen a decent template for consent letter to acknowledge that I approve of my kids applying for NEXUS? (since I won't be at their interview, my wife will carry it with her for the appointment). I see a few templates for consent letter for children traveling abraod, so not sure if I can just change/add the language and get it notarized?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. I have spent the past hour or two searching around on the internet and these forums, so some clarification would be great. Thanks!
Old Jul 5, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by melancholy
Hi there,
I am trying to apply for NEXUS for my family (wife and two kids, ages 5 and 3) as we travel between US and Canada a few times a year. Due to work obligations, I sometimes do not get to travel with them though.

In applying for NEXUS, I have a few questions:
1. If I am physically not with my family, can I fill out applications for all of us, then have my wife and kids do an interview in Canada while I do one in the U.S.?

2. Has anyone seen a decent template for consent letter to acknowledge that I approve of my kids applying for NEXUS? (since I won't be at their interview, my wife will carry it with her for the appointment). I see a few templates for consent letter for children traveling abraod, so not sure if I can just change/add the language and get it notarized?

I appreciate any advice you can provide. I have spent the past hour or two searching around on the internet and these forums, so some clarification would be great. Thanks!
Don't have specific experience with the consent letter. But for the applications, those aren't done in person. Best way to do it is online through GOES system - they will get there fastest. You can still do a paper application and mail, but it will take longer, and then ore cumbersome as you will need to setup a GOES account for each person after they confirm. IMO, the only potential benefit of filling in a paper application is that you can pay in Canadian funds, vs. on GOES that payments are in US $. Either way, if you use it a few times a year, its basically nothing (GE, for comparison, is twice as much, with half the benefit (US Only)).

For interviews, assuming all receive conditional approval, these are scheduled separately and so have no bearing on each other, all 4 of you can schedule for 4 different times and locations if you wish - doesn't matter which center. Note that if you plan to use Nexus when you fly, as opposed to just at the land border, to use it coming into Canada when flying, you'll need to have you iris scanned, and that can only be done at a Canadian center - those in the US do not have those. You can, however, do your interview at a US center, then show up at a Canadian center at another time (no appointment required) and ask them to complete that.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
New passports - what to do?

Our Canadian passports expired last year and we'll be getting new ones in a few weeks. It's been some 6 years since we got new ones and had them registered.

What is the procedure these days?

Is registering the new passports on GOES sufficient these days (have to remember our logins as its been close to 4 years since we last used it to renew) or do we have to show the passports at Nexus centre (and if so, to which side?)
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Our Canadian passports expired last year and we'll be getting new ones in a few weeks. It's been some 6 years since we got new ones and had them registered.

Is registering the new passports on GOES sufficient these days (have to remember our logins as its been close to 4 years since we last used it to renew) or do we have to show the passports at Nexus centre (and if so, to which side?)
Given your user name, just stop by the Nexus centre at YVR with your new passports - no appointment needed.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by mnbp
Given your user name, just stop by the Nexus centre at YVR with your new passports - no appointment needed.
Or the one at 1611 Main St., Ste. 412.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: A few, *G,
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach

The beauty of updating at a Nexus office is there is not one side, but both. All locations have Canadian & US agents.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by melancholy
Has anyone seen a decent template for consent letter to acknowledge that I approve of my kids applying for NEXUS? (since I won't be at their interview, my wife will carry it with her for the appointment). I see a few templates for consent letter for children traveling abraod, so not sure if I can just change/add the language and get it notarized?

When we first applied for nexus for our kids, both parents were present at the interview, so no issues with consent letters. However, for renewals, I tried taking one of my kids alone with a signed (but not notarized) letter from my wife giving permission to renew. I didn't have a template for the letter, but just said in plain words what she was consenting to. The agent said they would need the letter to be notarized, but since it was a renewal and both of us were present at the original interview, they let it slide and approved it anyway. They suggested that under the formal rules, if no notarized letter was provided, and only one parent was physically present, they could approve the renewal conditionally, and then have the other parent come by the office at a later date (but within 30 days IIRC) to give their permission in person, or to provide the notarized letter at that point.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Thanks all. So still has to be done in person.

Originally Posted by mnbp
Location needs to be changed but not that I think FT will accommodate that. Nexus on arrival available at my new local airport but no enrollment facilities.

Or the one at 1611 Main St., Ste. 412.
I thought that was the rail station but it appears to be located in a brand-new building on which site there was a BK for decades? Last time I put in a new passport was at the BC Hydro building on Dunsmuir.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Hernendez
You can update your passport information online in Goes anytime , so I wouldn't worry about that.
But make sure you also update info with NEXUS by visiting the office. Updating in GOES only does the US side, not Canadian. I had my NEXUS disabled for entry into Canada until I did this.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 11:39 am

Hi everyone - am currently in the process of applying for Nexus but looks like I'll have to renew my passport before receiving a response as the response looks like it's going to be taking longer than we originally expected. Does anyone know if we have to do anything (i.e. call and update the passport information while the Nexus application is still pending)?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.