Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Aren't these the "new" machines? I remember the ones a year or two ago at YVR & YYC that were always broken. These seem much faster, minus, of course, the printing issues I've had recently.
YOW & YVR now have new ones with facial recognition that work for citizens from every country ( and don't require you to fill out a customs card)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by xero9
Does anyone know how the process is for NEXUS members with children at airports with the new primary inspection kiosks? Because the little one doesn't have any biometric data on file we can't use the automated NEXUS kiosk, so we have to go to the special services desk. Do we have to wait in line at the primary inspection kiosk like the regular folks?
New primary inspection kiosks? You mean the Nexus ones that don't require you to fill out a card?

If you are traveling with a kid in Nexus who can't use the machines, then you need to fill out a customs card. Just go to the special services desk, who can process everyone. That's what we always do - technically, we could go to the kiosks ourselves, but since we have to go see special services anyway, its almost always eaiser to have them clear us all. No need to wait in the regular line.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
New primary inspection kiosks? You mean the Nexus ones that don't require you to fill out a card?

If you are traveling with a kid in Nexus who can't use the machines, then you need to fill out a customs card. Just go to the special services desk, who can process everyone. That's what we always do - technically, we could go to the kiosks ourselves, but since we have to go see special services anyway, its almost always eaiser to have them clear us all. No need to wait in the regular line.
Haven't flown since December, so maybe the process for NEXUS has changed, but the CBSA has been rolling out kiosks so far in Ottawa and I believe Vancouver (Toronto is next, I assume) where no travellers fill out the cards (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...k-bip-eng.html).

It seems if one is "unable" to use the PIK, you can proceed as normal and make the declaration with the customer's officer. I wonder if that means I can simply proceed to the special services counter by the NEXUS kiosks like I have been (minus the white declaration card). Such a pain.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Haven't flown since December, so maybe the process for NEXUS has changed, but the CBSA has been rolling out kiosks so far in Ottawa and I believe Vancouver (Toronto is next, I assume) where no travellers fill out the cards (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...k-bip-eng.html).

It seems if one is "unable" to use the PIK, you can proceed as normal and make the declaration with the customer's officer. I wonder if that means I can simply proceed to the special services counter by the NEXUS kiosks like I have been (minus the white declaration card). Such a pain.
Such a pain? You mean to clear the same way you always would have had to with a kid in tow.

Kids can't use the kiosks without biometric on file, and only the kiosks, as I understand it, allow for one to clear without a customs card. Maybe I'm wrong, but personally, I'd think that it is wise to fill out the card (how much of a pain is that, really, by the way), and if you don't need it, big deal. Presumably, like the kiosks for the US, the receipt is what you need, with the info. going directly into the kiosk, and without that proper receipt, you'd need a declaration card.

Oh, and just since your post isn't real clear, you can only use the special services desk with child if the child is also a Nexus member, though that should be a given. If they aren't a Nexus member, you'd need to either use the regular line, or take your chances on getting your own Nexus revoked for attempting to bring a non-Nexus member to the trusted traveler lane.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Arrived Vancouver, B.C. less than two weeks ago, NEXUS and non-NEXUS members did not have to fill out a paper form. Air Canada flight attendant made an announcement before arriving YVR that completing an immigration/customs form was no longer necessary.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
According to the email I got a few months ago, all NEXUS kiosks across Canada are now asking the declaration questions.

The facial recognition kiosks that are in use at YVR, YYC (I think) and other places are different from the NEXUS ones.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:56 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
NEXUS kiosks and "new" "general public" primary kiosks are two different things.

NEXUS members no longer need to fill paper declaration form if using NEXUS kiosk.

General public still need paper form unless they are entering Canada at an airport transitioned to the new kiosks.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:26 am

My partner tried to apply NEXUS online yesterday. After clicking through all the links and logging into his GOES account, there was not an icon/link to apply for NEXUS. There was a place to click for renewal, after clicking, then options for Global Entry and NEXUS were available. Is this a website omission or there is a special link to apply NEXUS for the first time?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
My partner tried to apply NEXUS online yesterday. After clicking through all the links and logging into his GOES account, there was not an icon/link to apply for NEXUS. There was a place to click for renewal, after clicking, then options for Global Entry and NEXUS were available. Is this a website omission or there is a special link to apply NEXUS for the first time?
From your description, I am assuming your partner already has Global Entry.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-t...sked-questions

How do I add NEXUS to my existing Global Entry membership?
Login to GOES. On the GOES home page under Program Membership(s), click on "Manage Membership." Then click on the "Add Trusted Traveler Program." Make any changes necessary. On the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler Program List page, select the checkbox next to the NEXUS option. On the next page you will see the NEXUS logo. You will need to provide additional information and answer questions; (some of these questions are very similar). Once all the application information is entered/ corrected, certify your application and pay the fee. Applicants seeking to use NEXUS to enter Canada must complete an enrollment interview with the Canada Border Services Agency.
Do these instructions from the official FAQ not work for you?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp

Yes, he has Global Entry. Thanks for the info. I had it printed out when I applied a few years ago and misplaced it.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Such a pain? You mean to clear the same way you always would have had to with a kid in tow.
Except previously we would walk towards the NEXUS kiosks, past them, and straight to the special services counter (with the white form in hand).

Now we have to join the herd of general public flyers and queue for a general public kiosk.

And yes, I know the child needs to have NEXUS as well to use that special services counter. He's had it since he was a month old.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 5:59 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Except previously we would walk towards the NEXUS kiosks, past them, and straight to the special services counter (with the white form in hand).

Now we have to join the herd of general public flyers and queue for a general public kiosk.

And yes, I know the child needs to have NEXUS as well to use that special services counter. He's had it since he was a month old.
I'm still having trouble following. There is still a crew counter at airports that have transitioned to new general public kiosks or did they get rid of that?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: United Gold *G, Nexus/GE, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by keitherson
I just had a "system error" when I used my NEXUS today at YVR. Then tried 2 other machines and it wouldn't work: it told me to go to manual processing. Don't think it's the machine, even if a few are broken at YVR. Anyone have this issue before?
I had the same issue on Monday the 13th at YVR also, as well as some other folks on my flight. I came from a UA flight and the FAs still passed out immigration forms.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp

My partner went through all the steps. Unfortunately there was no NEXUS checkbox or anything NEXUS. When I applied NEXUS last year, I followed the steps and it went right through. I wonder what happened this time.

His only option now is paper application.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by seawolf
NEXUS kiosks and "new" "general public" primary kiosks are two different things.

NEXUS members no longer need to fill paper declaration form if using NEXUS kiosk.

General public still need paper form unless they are entering Canada at an airport transitioned to the new kiosks.
Just an FYI, I got IMM 1-1 in YYZ (Nexus flag for recently expiring and then expired work permit on three occasions) and the CBSA officer in Immigration I told me after that I should continue to fill the paper card for at least a couple more months. They expected to see it there even though I had a NEXUS kiosk receipt.

(They were also not aware why the Nexus system flagged me for IMM 1-1 on those three occasions - the NEXUS enrollment office told me it's an automatic flag when your work permit is about to expire or is expired, until the block is removed by the NEXUS office. The officers in Immigration I were baffled on all three occasions this happened to me and cleared me with essentially no questioning after checking their computers).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.