Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by directhit606
Hey there. Wife and I are both Nexus holders and we recently did some shopping in the states and crossed via the Nexus lane in Niagara. We had our receipts with the exception of one which we forgot in the trunk and when we mentioned that to the border guard he gave us a yellow card and had us pull into secondary. Couple of other guards came out and searched our cars and looked at our receipts and once they searched the car we were told we could go. We didn't have to pay anything, nothing was seized nor were we given any paperwork or anything. In fact, we didn't even have to go inside of the building. I'm just wondering now what this means? Is this recorded as an infraction or did we get lucky with no record against me and should just be more prepared next time?
You didn't receive any violation notice or fine, so it doesn't sound like your NEXUS is in jeopardy. Secondary searches are not unusual, even for NEXUS members, since you didn't have all your receipts on point.

The key is that you were honest, declared everything to the best of your knowledge, and were not in violation as it seems. If you had appeared to be negligent or unaware of your responsibilities (or in actual violation of program of customs rules), then you may have received some sort of sanction.

However, you should expect a higher probability of secondary inspection on upcoming trips in the near future. Just plan accordingly for a little extra time during crossing (and have receipts in order when you get to primary inspection) and you'll be fine.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by directhit606
I'm just wondering now what this means? Is this recorded as an infraction or did we get lucky with no record against me and should just be more prepared next time?
I suspect, since you declared everything (merely stating you would need to get another receipt out of the trunk), it's very unlikely that was recorded as an infraction. It's likely the officer simply thought it was time for semi-random secondary inspection and since you had something minor amiss figured, well, may as well have a look through. I have had a couple trunk checks (in both directions) when using Nexus as well, seems like that's all you were subject to, which is fairly routine. Officers often use their discretion and don't bother with the collection of taxes (which makes a lot of sense to me anyway because it costs about as much to process the paperwork as they collect in HST). Sometimes they still send you in to pay, but often not.

It is of course faster for everyone if you have everything handy right at the get go, so for sure be as prepared as you can be.

Anyway, of course it's impossible to know for sure but I would suspect as well if they were marking down an infraction they'd similarly advise you.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, SW Airlines
Applied: Dec 22, 2016
Conditional Approval: March 23, 2017
Interview: April 4, 2017
Approval: April 4, 2017
Card Arrived: Did not arrive
Denial: April 4, 2017

I attended my interview, and nothing "bad" happened during my discussion with the U.S and Canadian agents (they interviewed me more or less jointly). The Canadian agent seemed concerned that I might possibly attempt to work illegally in her country. Her suspicions arose because I have an elderly friend who I visit in British Colombia from time to time, and in the U.S. I work as a home care aide to a (non-elderly) disabled individual. The agent expressed concern that I might be tempted to help my elderly Canadian friend in exchange for money, but since I stated that I had no intention of doing so, my Nexus application was approved. I was given information sheets about how the program works, and told that my card would be arriving by mail in an unmarked envelope. I was told where to go for my retina scan. Everything was good.

My card never arrived, and now that I finally got around to exploring that, I've logged into my account to find a denial letter dated on the same day as my interview. Interesting. The reason for denial is stated as "Other." I have no undisclosed arrests, dismissed, expunged, or otherwise.

I do not intend to appeal the decision, because from what I've read the process is lengthy, tedious, and people only get a response if they are persistent in badgering the ombudsman. I'm in no position to even begin appealing my case, because I was not told the reason for denial. It might take me months to first find out that information, so I can even attempt a reversal of the decision.

Also, I have read that people denied Nexus are very unlikely to win an appeal because they do not know if they were rejected by the US or by Canada. Additionally, I have decided that having Nexus/Global Entry will do me less good, since I most often travel with friends/family who would not have the clearance. TSA pre-check would be nice, though.

I'm very curious about why I was denied, so I might attempt to figure it out. If I learn the answer, I'll report back here.

Readers of this thread, be aware that "passing" your interview might mean nothing. I've read other accounts from people who were told that they'd passed only to find the approval had been revoked. However, odds are that you're safe. I guess only 3-5% of applicants are turned down. Hooray, I'm special!
Old May 1, 2017, 3:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

@MackAttack33;

Since the focus of your post appears to be more on the denial aspect than the timeline, I moved it to The NEXUS Information Thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old May 1, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by MackAttack33
Applied: Dec 22, 2016
Conditional Approval: March 23, 2017
Interview: April 4, 2017
Approval: April 4, 2017
Card Arrived: Did not arrive
Denial: April 4, 2017

I attended my interview, and nothing "bad" happened during my discussion with the U.S and Canadian agents (they interviewed me more or less jointly). The Canadian agent seemed concerned that I might possibly attempt to work illegally in her country. Her suspicions arose because I have an elderly friend who I visit in British Colombia from time to time, and in the U.S. I work as a home care aide to a (non-elderly) disabled individual. The agent expressed concern that I might be tempted to help my elderly Canadian friend in exchange for money, but since I stated that I had no intention of doing so, my Nexus application was approved. I was given information sheets about how the program works, and told that my card would be arriving by mail in an unmarked envelope. I was told where to go for my retina scan. Everything was good.

My card never arrived, and now that I finally got around to exploring that, I've logged into my account to find a denial letter dated on the same day as my interview. Interesting. The reason for denial is stated as "Other." I have no undisclosed arrests, dismissed, expunged, or otherwise.

I do not intend to appeal the decision, because from what I've read the process is lengthy, tedious, and people only get a response if they are persistent in badgering the ombudsman. I'm in no position to even begin appealing my case, because I was not told the reason for denial. It might take me months to first find out that information, so I can even attempt a reversal of the decision.

Also, I have read that people denied Nexus are very unlikely to win an appeal because they do not know if they were rejected by the US or by Canada. Additionally, I have decided that having Nexus/Global Entry will do me less good, since I most often travel with friends/family who would not have the clearance. TSA pre-check would be nice, though.

I'm very curious about why I was denied, so I might attempt to figure it out. If I learn the answer, I'll report back here.

Readers of this thread, be aware that "passing" your interview might mean nothing. I've read other accounts from people who were told that they'd passed only to find the approval had been revoked. However, odds are that you're safe. I guess only 3-5% of applicants are turned down. Hooray, I'm special!
I would call the enrollment center that you visited for clarification. It could be something as simple as them clicking the wrong button in the back end system while they meant to approve you.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know if there's been a change to the requirement to schedule an interview within 30 days of receiving your approval?

I just got approved for my renewal, though still need to do an interview. I recall it used to be you had to schedule an interview, at least initially, within 30 days of receiving the approval letter (i.e. actually get a time in, not necessarily complete it). I noticed my renewal notice didn't specify anything about scheduling within a certain amount of days.

I ask as I live in the midwest US. I suppose I could do a 4-hour drive to Detroit, but would prefer to do it when I am in YYZ next. Between only being there for a few days every couple of months, and the fact that its hard to get an appointment to begin with, not sure i can necessarily get one when I will be there. I know i could schedule a time whenver, then change it, but since I noticed the lack of the timeframe, was wondering if others knew if this piece has gone away.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Anyone know if there's been a change to the requirement to schedule an interview within 30 days of receiving your approval?

I just got approved for my renewal, though still need to do an interview. I recall it used to be you had to schedule an interview, at least initially, within 30 days of receiving the approval letter (i.e. actually get a time in, not necessarily complete it). I noticed my renewal notice didn't specify anything about scheduling within a certain amount of days.

I ask as I live in the midwest US. I suppose I could do a 4-hour drive to Detroit, but would prefer to do it when I am in YYZ next. Between only being there for a few days every couple of months, and the fact that its hard to get an appointment to begin with, not sure i can necessarily get one when I will be there. I know i could schedule a time whenver, then change it, but since I noticed the lack of the timeframe, was wondering if others knew if this piece has gone away.
Do not know if there has been a change in requirement to schedule an interview within 30 days of receiving approval.

As far as I know, you just need to make an appointment for any date within 30 days from conditional approval. Then you can change your appointment to any date as often as you wish. NEXUS appointments are much easier to obtain than Global Entry.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I was approved a couple of weeks ago and scheduled my interview for late July and the system didn't balk.

It is challenging to find a time slot available in the next 30 days at all, so if the rule was that your interview would need to be within the next 30 days, it would make it practically impossible.

Also, there would be no reason for them to take appointments months into the future if you have to have your interview within 30 days of approval.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I was approved a couple of weeks ago and scheduled my interview for late July and the system didn't balk.

It is challenging to find a time slot available in the next 30 days at all, so if the rule was that your interview would need to be within the next 30 days, it would make it practically impossible.

Also, there would be no reason for them to take appointments months into the future if you have to have your interview within 30 days of approval.
To clarify, the requirement is to SCHEDULE an appointment, for any date available, within 30 days of Conditional Approval. The appointment can be for any date in the scheduling system, and can be changed at any time to any other available date.

You do NOT have to find an appointment DATE within 30 days, you must take the action to schedule something (anything) within 30 days of Conditional Approval.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by mnbp
To clarify, the requirement is to SCHEDULE an appointment, for any date available, within 30 days of Conditional Approval. The appointment can be for any date in the scheduling system, and can be changed at any time to any other available date.

You do NOT have to find an appointment DATE within 30 days, you must take the action to schedule something (anything) within 30 days of Conditional Approval.
And it can be for any location. Several locations have nearly wide-open availability, so worst case book an appointment for, say, Pembina as far out as possible, and then reschedule to a better time/location when your travel plans are more firm.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
As far as I know, you just need to make an appointment for any date within 30 days from conditional approval. Then you can change your appointment to any date as often as you wish. NEXUS appointments are much easier to obtain than Global Entry.
That is inaccurate. The correct requirement concerning the scheduling of interview is as follows:
Originally Posted by mnbp

Old May 5, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by TWA884
That is inaccurate. The correct requirement concerning the scheduling of interview is as follows:
That was what I tried to say. mnbp's clarification makes it perfectly clear.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Sorry if I was unclear, but yes, I meant having to schedule within 30 days.

My point was, IIRC, it used to be stated in the letter that you needed to schedule within 30 days, and I don't see that any longer. So that's why i was asking if that is still the case.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:33 am

My process

I applied in January, 2016 and was conditionally approved soon there after. I have been putting off the interview since then as I haven't really been near the border. I was in Seattle recently and decided to take care of it.

I was able to secure an interview at the Blaine, WA enrollment center quickly. They have just opened a new enrollment center that has TONS of appointments available everyday. You can schedule an appointment the next day from every time I checked.

I arrived about 10 minutes early for my appointment. You take a number and are called to a reception window where your Conditional Approval letter, passport, GE or NEXUS card (if you have one), and other documents are collected. They asked if I had a copy of my birth certificate. I did not and they said no problem.

I was called to a booth right on time. There is a CBP officer and a CBSA officer at each both and present for the entire interview. The CBP officer and I spoke first. He reviewed my application, all the information on it and asked if there were changes. He asked why I was interested in NEXUS since I had GE. I explained that I wanted similar benefits in Canada. He asked about my reasons for travelling, if I had family or friends in Canada, and if I did business in Canada.

He informed me that they saw an arrest on my record. I said I did and provided paperwork showing that all charges were dropped (the arrest was in 2001). He tok the documents, reviewed them along with the CBSA officer, made copies, and then told me I was approved.

I then moved over to the CBSA officer's side of the booth. She reviewed some information, asked if I had any other run-ins with police including DUI or reckless driving. She reviewed how to use the NEXUS card, that everyone in a vehicle must have NEXUS and that you can't drop someone off to cross as a pedestrian while you use the NEXUS lane.

I asked about getting an iris scan. She gave me information and sent me on my way. Total time talking to officers: 6 minutes. I received my approval while I was in the parking lot.

After you are approved, you can leave the Blaine enrollment center and enter Canada at the Pacific Crossing/Truck Crossing. There is a CBSA office directly inside Canada after you are admitted (with INCREDIBLY limited parking). You don't need an appointment there. You just walk in, go to the first window, present your passport and they will get your iris scan done quickly. That entire process took maybe 10 minutes. After that, you are already admitted into Canada, so if you want to go and get some Tim's you are good to go!
Old May 17, 2017, 5:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Received the following email this morning:
Dear NEXUS Member,

We have more exciting news to share with our members!

Further to the message we issued below, we are pleased to announce that NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available.

Note that paper CBSA Declarations Cards may still be handed out in-flight, as travellers who are not NEXUS members may need to complete them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.