Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 10:02 am

Hi all, I've read a good amount of this thread, and been a long time anonymous reader. What a great forum.

I've an old (20+ year old Canadian criminal conviction, and I had an arrest (and charges nearly immediately withdrawn) from around 8 years ago. Since I've had a Canadian pardon/record suspension. I know the USA doesn't recognize Canadian Pardons/suspensions, though Canada does recognize USA pardons/discharges.

I've applied for Nexus, Would their be any issue?

Or does the US CBS just deny the second they see the first 4 letters of crim...

If I was accepted into nexus, at the interview if I was asked, I don't see any point in lying.
Some sources say to deny deny deny, as the question is loaded, but I think honesty is best policy.
Should I volunteer the information and that I've been pardoned, or don't ask don't tell? It's all so confusing.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
You should definitely be truthful but also bring all the paperwork you can to show the disposition of each case as well as the details of the judgment 20 years ago. Regarding the arrest, the only issue I see is that it wasn't over 10 years ago and having had a conviction previously, they might consider it as too recent. Anyways, good luck, be honest and share the outcome with us.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 8:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just received following email:

Important Information for NEXUS Members
This year, the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will be making travel even more convenient by phasing out the paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) for travellers arriving in Canada by air.

What does this mean for NEXUS members?
NEXUS kiosk display screens at all designated NEXUS airport locations in Canada are being updated to simplify the declaration process. Members will be prompted to respond to questions on the NEXUS kiosk screens that mirror the questions that were previously found on the paper CBSA Declaration Card.

Why is this change being made?
This change is being made to coincide with the upcoming launch of new Primary Inspection Kiosks that will expand self-service options to all international air travellers arriving in Canada. NEXUS members should continue to use their dedicated NEXUS kiosks, which are exclusively for their use and are designed to expedite their arrival to Canada.

When and where will this change be made?
Beginning late-March 2017, all travellers flying into the Ottawa Macdonald-Cartier International Airport will no longer be required to fill out a paper CBSA Declaration Card. The elimination of the paper CBSA Declaration Card will continue to be rolled out at other major Canadian airports across Canada, over the course of 2017-2018. Visit the CBSA NEXUS website for the most up-to-date information regarding where this automated service will be available for NEXUS members.

Airline staff will distribute the paper CBSA Declaration Cards to travellers only if the airport is not equipped with the Primary Inspection Kiosks. If you are given a CBSA Declaration Card en route, please continue to fill it out.

The CBSA is dedicated to modernizing and transforming the way it manages the border and is continually working to ensure that the NEXUS program remains convenient for our members.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 10:58 am

Those cards seemed like such an anachronism; nice to not have to bother with them anymore.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kiraly
Those cards seemed like such an anachronism; nice to not have to bother with them anymore.
Agreed. I always wondered where they ended up... some dreary archive room probably lol
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Data Point -

I renewed my passport recently and updated my passport information at GOES website. I also sent email with copy of my NEXUS card (front/back) and Passport (cover/picture page) to CBSA and asked to update my passport information.
I got a reply from CBSA the next day saying my passport information was updated.

I haven't been to Canada since then, so I'm not 100% sure if it's really updated or not, however...

BTW I live in the US.
I thought updating in GOES, caused an update to CBSA records.

Also what's the current time frame for those with GE getting approved for Nexus? I know what it was when I converted, but that's been awhile.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
It is supposed to work that way, and all the rules from CBSA say so. But in reality it doesn't. Let's all hope they get that fixed soon.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Data Point -

I renewed my passport recently and updated my passport information at GOES website. I also sent email with copy of my NEXUS card (front/back) and Passport (cover/picture page) to CBSA and asked to update my passport information.
I got a reply from CBSA the next day saying my passport information was updated.

I haven't been to Canada since then, so I'm not 100% sure if it's really updated or not, however...

BTW I live in the US.
I am US citizen residing in the USA. I updated my passport in the GOES website. Since then, I have done numerous land crossings and one airplane trip originating in Canada to a foreign destination. I have had no problems whatsoever.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kilarney
I am US citizen residing in the USA. I updated my passport in the GOES website. Since then, I have done numerous land crossings and one airplane trip originating in Canada to a foreign destination. I have had no problems whatsoever.
Has the old passport reached the expiration date?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Never mind.

Last edited by kitkat77; May 8, 2017 at 11:17 am Reason: Nm
Old Mar 21, 2017, 7:16 am

Data Point: I applied for me, husband, and daughter on Jan 20th. I just got emails sent late last night that my husband and daughter were conditionally approved. I have not been yet.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Regarding declaration cards, got home to YVR last night and found the paper cards already phased out for NEXUS members. Declaration questions were on the kiosk and the receipt has been modified to remove the reference to presenting your declaration card at the exit. Asked two different CBSA officers who both agreed, no need to fill the card in any longer for NEXUS.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
US citizen here, was just conditionally approved for NEXUS today, and scheduled my interview for next Tuesday, 3/28 in Fort Erie.

I'll report back after the interview as to whether the US CBP asks about my criminal record (single misdemeanor conviction from 2006, which should make me eligible as it's been more than 10 years since the end of my suspended sentence). The only potential snag: when I went to the courthouse last month to obtain a copy of my conviction record, they advised me Virginia destroys all records related to misdemeanors once 10 years have passed. All they could give me was a form letter stating that fact, in lieu of a court record.

I'm optimistic that I'll get final approval even without the court records, as FBI/NCIC fingerprint background checks on me do show the correct disposition of this case (had to resolve this years ago when my record showed the original arrest but no conviction--Virginia State Police updated the FBI as the court or local PD couldn't do it).
Old Mar 21, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It most definitely does not. I'm still getting CBSA updates at an old email address despite updating GOES (and receiving emails from GOES) with a newer email address years ago.

It is supposed to work that way, and all the rules from CBSA say so. But in reality it doesn't. Let's all hope they get that fixed soon.
Yes, let's hope.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 1:59 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by seawolf
Kiosks at preclearance accept both NEXUS card and passport. Airlines check-in agent (with the exception of AirCanada) might balk at no passport and might require supervisor intervention.
AC is very good about taking NEXUS. With other carriers, YMMV. UA mostly gets it right, though I recently had a UA agent at DEN (British origin, so maybe overly security-statish) say they were told not to take them because of the new ETA in Canada. This makes no sense, given that the NEXUS card states your country of citizenship on it, and Americans don't require ETA.

Originally Posted by BTA
Keep in mind you also have to use the same ID for both check in and boarding. I used Passport for checkin, and tried to board with only NEXUS card. Agent told me NEXUS is fine, but since I used passport earlier, she needed to see that. News to me...but okay.
That is true with AC. That said, they can actually go into the reservation at the terminal and swap the identification at the gate, if they don't mind taking the 30 seconds it takes to do so.

Originally Posted by atsak
Made up policy. Have done both ways (check in one then the other shown and vice versa), have had Nexus card flat out refused in US stations as ID by gate agents (American Airlines), also a made up policy.

Keep both pieces of ID with you, never know what you'll run into.
I complained at CLT about this and got an apology from the AA supervisor who came to the gate to assist.

Originally Posted by JetLife
I am a Canadian citizen with Canadian passport and a NEXUS. I flew to LGA and returned to YYZ last night. I didn't use my NEXUS to get into the U.S. as was with a companion that doesn't have one. I didn't provide my NEXUS info when I checked in at LGA to return to YYZ.

When I tried using the NEXUS kiosk in YYZ to clear immigration, it said something along the lines of "invalid membership" (I don't remember exactly). This happened after you look into the mirror. I thought my NEXUS may have been revoked but when I checked online I didn't have a message or anything.

Any idea on why this was? Does NEXUS inform you online if you've been revoked or how do they inform you?
This happens sometimes when the iris camera doesn't read your eyes right. I had it happen to me a few weeks ago and just used another machine, which got my eyes right.

Originally Posted by hazcaddy
It was Air Canada. Staff at both ends (YYZ and LAX) told me the same story.
No issue at YYZ recently, but the sheer incompetence of the AC staff at LAX means this wouldn't shock me.

A NEXUS card isn't always sufficient on its own for border officials, such as when a holder is a citizen of a third country, or when a Canadian passport holder has a work or study visa in his passport that must be presented. If you're a Canadian citizen going to college in the USA you'll need to ensure you have your passport with visa in it at all times when entering the USA. A NEXUS card on its own isn't enough.

There's no way for Air Canada to know for sure if someone with a NEXUS card also needs to be carrying his passport. My guess is that AC changed its policy once it had to pay to fly home enough NEXUS-only travelers who didn't bring their required passport/visa and were refused entry.
If you need a visa, that is true. In most situations, that isn't the situation.

Originally Posted by Chancellor Todd
So is the only time you would need an iris scan on file when you fly into a Canadian airport? In other words, when you fly into the U.S. you would just use the global entry method?

And if you didn't have it when flying into Canada, you would have to go through the normal customs procedure?

I am about to book my interview and was wondering if I should take the extra step and do it at a Canadian facility. Thanks.
It is worth getting.

What you posted isn't contradictory. That says that you can't use the NEXUS card at GE machines at U.S. airports. The other info from CBP linked in mistermap's post says you can use the NEXUS card at GE machines at U.S. preclearance at Canadian airports.
Originally Posted by seawolf
Officially only GE kiosks located at Canadian preclearance sites accept NEXUS. Passport is used at all other GE kiosks.
It is a YMMV thing. Some kiosks in US international airports accept them, some don't. What I do wonder is if the variable isn't the airport but the origin. I know I've successfully use the card on flights leaving from non-preclearance airports in Canada, but I'm not sure if it has worked on flights that involved flying from somewhere other than Canada. I know it didn't work at SAN once.

Originally Posted by Finkface
And even then, I always get asked for my passport by CBP at the YVR pre-clearance when I hand over my printout. Every time. I have never not had it so I don't know how it would go down if I didn't. Yes, I know Nexus is a WHTI document, blah, blah, blah. I just don't want to test it with a CBP officer who is insistent upon a passport.
CBP at YVR are obnoxious outliers who make things up as they go along. I despise going through there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.