Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
So: We started our online application when we lived in one state, and interviewed after we moved to our new state, and showed our new licenses there. My wife took longer to get approved, and her record at GOES, after approval, still showed her old license. We've changed it online: what I've read from following this thread for a while is that Canada may not automatically have the update, and she may need to show her new license in person. What is the importance of Canada having the new license? If we need to update it, can it be whenever we happen to go there (at our crossing the NEXUS lane would, under the current schedule, likely be closed when we cross) go into the office, which isn't a NEXUS interview location, and show the license? We'll want to use the privileges for Global Entry for a flight from Europe to the U.S. before we'd return to Canada.
I don't think that an expired driver's license would matter at all if traveling by air. I can only see it mattering if that person was crossing by land and actually driving the vehicle. Even then, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do stop by a NEXUS enrollment centre and update it when you get the chance.
rove312 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kiraly
I don't think that an expired driver's license would matter at all if traveling by air. I can only see it mattering if that person was crossing by land and actually driving the vehicle. Even then, I wouldn't worry too much about it. But do stop by a NEXUS enrollment centre and update it when you get the chance.
Agreed. I certainly wouldn't go out of your way to update it (especially if you've already updated it online). They don't really care about the DL anyway, its more of a holdover form the program years ago.
rove312 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

For indexing and future search purposes, recent posts discussing NEXUS applications by existing Global Entry members were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by reclusive46
Agreed. I certainly wouldn't go out of your way to update it (especially if you've already updated it online). They don't really care about the DL anyway, its more of a holdover form the program years ago.
I don't think the Canadian side cares about the DL at all. When we were at the Detroit Enrollment Center to update our passports a couple weeks back, we overheard the guy in front of us talking to the US rep who saw the expired DL in his account that the Canadian girl didn't even take his DL. The US rep said to just update it on GOES. The US rep told my wife to update her DL information on GOES when she renews her DL in about a week.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dioxide45
We may be going through Detroit on our way to Canada from the USA and my wife and I each have new passports since obtaining Nexus. If we do make the trek, we plan to stop at the Nexus enrollment center at the Ambassador Bridge to make sure everything is up to date. I believe we can do a walk in for this? Does anyone have any experience with this center? When we went for our interview there, after you exit it pushes you back to the USA side, but there must be a way to get back Canada bound since I suspect that there are people working there that travel back to Canada each day? Any idea how to get back out and continue on the way to Canada?
To confirm, there is a way to get from the Detroit Enrollment Center back to the Canada, they just won't let you use it. When we pulled in to the area, there was an officer inside the gate taking names. We asked him if when we were done there was a way to continue on to Canada. He pointed to an area with a gate where we later saw a huge sign "Return to Canada", he said to pull up there and someone could come out and let us through. It just goes back out to the road you pull in off of when you enter the facility. We then asked the officer inside and he said they wouldn't let us through that gate. Well we decided to try anyway. There was a big truck pulled up to the gate beside the "Return to Canada" sign. After a few minutes a guy came out and let the truck through but told us we had to use the regular exit, which dumps you out on to surface streets in Detroit. Good thing for the GPS, as it got us to where we needed to go, but it killed about 10-15 minutes doing it.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Quick question about new documents updates at an enrolment centre: Does the member have to be there in person or can a spouse (also presenting new documents) update on the member's behalf?
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Quick question about new documents updates at an enrolment centre: Does the member have to be there in person or can a spouse (also presenting new documents) update on the member's behalf?
I updated Mr. Fink's drivers license without him being present at the Nexus office at YVR in late June. The only requirement is that you have to present the original documents, not copies. I only had a photocopy of his drivers license as I was leaving on a trip and he needed it with him. They did it for me anyway but did make it clear that it was a one-off favor and, while the person didn't have to be there, original docs had to be presented.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
It's been reported that you can fax them the originals.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: FSPP, Impresario, Prive, Virtuoso
I see Macao but not Hong Kong as countries visited in the past 5 years. Do people typically just put China in place of Hong Kong?
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aviationp
I see Macao but not Hong Kong as countries visited in the past 5 years. Do people typically just put China in place of Hong Kong?
Yeah thats what I put. I mean Hong Kong is technically in China

There are a few places missing, Gibraltar comes to mind (which while a British territory isn't part of the UK)
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
It's been reported that you can fax them the originals.
I followed some advice from a post many paged back about how to update documents by calling the Canadian Nexus office and getting a name and email to send scans of the documents to. I did do this, but still stopped in to update in person when we also had to update my wife's documents. The Canadian officer did not say anything to me about their system already having my updated passport information. So I don't know if it actually worked or not.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Just an FYI, if you sign up for a new citizenship and then get proof of a second citizenship (like a citizenship certificate from US USCIS or Canadian IRCC/CIC) they do expect you to present it for an in-person update, and then a second in-person update if you get a passport under that nationality.

Also an FYI, if you get citizenship by descent (first generation born outside Canada), when you get the certificate it will be backdated retroactive to your birthday as an "effective by" date with no certificate issue date. The US CBP officer put the date listed on the cover letter my certificate shipped with in his system, the CBSA officer put the issue date as my birthday. Both systems accepted it.

I asked if the fact that the issue date was different on the US side vs. CBSA side was an issue, both officers were confident it would not be as the US and Canadian sides of Nexus for this sort of things have entirely separate systems.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 11:09 pm

All,
I am permanent resident of Canada. I have applied for NEXUS. After 4 months, I got reply through GOES account that my NEXUS application has been denied due to " You do not meet program eligibility requirements". I have very clean record. I do not have any arrests or violation tickets in Canada.

Be reminded, I traveled to US in past on valid H1B visa and I was denied entry to US with the comments " Applicant is not possessing valid non-immigrant visa". and my visa was cancelled. However, I applied again for tourist visa and it had been approved and I traveled to US without any problem at port of entry.

Could you please guide me here. What could be the potential reason of this denial? Should I visit personally to Enrollment Center to meet with Supervisor ? What steps should I take ? I shall be very thankful to you all. Thanks
Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:12 am

Programs: Amex, JPMR, Nexus
Originally Posted by stress
All,
I am permanent resident of Canada. I have applied for NEXUS. After 4 months, I got reply through GOES account that my NEXUS application has been denied due to " You do not meet program eligibility requirements". I have very clean record. I do not have any arrests or violation tickets in Canada.

Be reminded, I traveled to US in past on valid H1B visa and I was denied entry to US with the comments " Applicant is not possessing valid non-immigrant visa". and my visa was cancelled. However, I applied again for tourist visa and it had been approved and I traveled to US without any problem at port of entry.

Could you please guide me here. What could be the potential reason of this denial? Should I visit personally to Enrollment Center to meet with Supervisor ? What steps should I take ? I shall be very thankful to you all. Thanks
It looks like at one point you showed up at a POE with an incorrect visa type, which counts as an immigration violation, which in turn makes you ineligible for Nexus. If for whatever reason you can prove that you should have entered on the H1B instead of B1/B2 then you can appeal. Another reason for your denial might be being a citizen of a country covered by Trump's travel ban since you mentioned you were a permanent resident of Canada.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:11 am

Thanks greglvnv for replying. My answer to your two points.
1- I attempted to enter into the United States with valid H1B visa and it was stamped on my passport. Actually my passport had two visas stamped when I attempted to enter H1B and B1/B2. I have valid job offer letter from US employer too but still I was denied entry. I was not at fault at all. For record cleaning, I filed FOIA to CBP and they replied and most of the parts the letter are empty and I was not able to see what actually was the reason. After all this mess, I again applied for B1/B2, I got it and I traveled to US last month without any problem.

2- My home country is not in that list of countries which banned by Trump Executive order.

Now the question is, how can I overcome this ? I just read few threads and concluded that I should visit Enrollment center with all the previous documents including my previous Visas, job offer letter etc to meet with Supervisor and ask him what are the actual grounds of rejection ?

What is your opinion about it ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.