Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Current NEXUS Information messages can be found in the following thread:

The NEXUS Information Thread

Welcome to the Travel Safety/Security Trusted Travelers Forum Nexus Information Wiki! This resource will appear at the top of every page within this thread to help users learn more about this program.

About NEXUS

NEXUS is designed to expedite the border clearance process for low-risk, pre-approved travellers into Canada and the United States.

The Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) and U.S. Customs & Border Patrol (CBP) are cooperating in this joint venture to simplify border crossing for members while enhancing security.

Program benefits

If you are approved to participate in NEXUS, you will receive a membership identification card to use when entering Canada or the United States at all designated NEXUS air, land and marine ports of entry.

Membership will enable airline passengers to save time by:
  • using automated self-serve kiosks in dedicated areas at designated international airports;
  • using NEXUS/SENTRI lanes at land crossings when/where available. NEXUS lanes entering Canada will likely have a constant red traffic signal. This is to discourage non-NEXUS members from using the lane. Canada-bound NEXUS land crossing operating hours. All occupants must have NEXUS cards when using NEXUS lane entering Canada. At some locations, the NEXUS lane, the inspection booth is not staffed but there should be a call button. When entering US in a NEXUS/SENTRI lane, all occupants must carry either NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cards (or any combination thereof). Notable exception is Whirlpool Bridge which requires a NEXUS card to open the toll gate on the Canadian side to cross to the US..
  • As of 17 MAY 2017 - NEXUS members no longer need to complete a paper CBSA Declaration Card (Form E311) when using a NEXUS self-serve kiosk at any Canadian airport where NEXUS is available. (Refer to post #10421)
  • using the Trusted Traveller Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) Security Line at major and select medium-sized Canadian airports to expedite airport pre boarding security screening. For detailed information, please visit the CATSA Web site.

Join NEXUS

Here are the steps for becoming a member. There is a non-refundable processing fee of CAN$50 or US$50 per applicant for a five-year membership card.

About NEXUS
Eligibility
How to apply
Enrolment process

Key points about the program as found by forum members:
  • NEXUS cardholders must advise of ANY changes to their vital information such as passport numbers/validity, visa status, legal names, primary residence, criminal convictions, and employment if it impacts your eligibility in the program.
  • It's normal to find the first in-person NEXUS interview to be months into the future, but a little patience and regular checks on the TTP website almost always yields an interview date much sooner.
  • Each person who wants to participate in the NEXUS program must fill out a separate application form. There is no fee for applicants under the age of 18.
  • If traveling with non-NEXUS family members NEXUS cardholders are required to use the regular customs lines.
  • There is a zero tolerance policy and membership can be terminated for infractions including not having your NEXUS card on you and using the NEXUS lane and not declaring items on your customs declaration card, though members have reported some leniency being granted for such infractions in the past.
  • Private companies may offer services for submitting your application and charge an additional processing fee but these extra charges are not part of the official NEXUS application fee. Expedited services offered by such companies will not assist in speeding up the application process.

Updating Passport with Canada for NEXUS

As per CBSA website, updates to passport information can be handled on TTP.
Please note that NEXUS members are not required to report to an Enrolment Centre to update or change their passport information with the CBSA.
This is supported by data points in post 11122 and 11132.

Some FT members don't trust instructions provided by CBSA and recommend the following:
Call the Canadian Processing Centre with responsibility for residents of the United States:
  • 800-842-7647 --- Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm (Eastern Time)

After going through the phone tree to reach a Nexus representative, advise them that you need to update your US passport with Canada.

The representative will give you an email address and instructions to scan your updated passport picture page (include your trusted traveler number on the scan) and then email it to a particular email address. I was advised to put the representative's name in the email message so that he could process the update on the Canadian side. He confirmed that any passport update in TTP does not reach Canada. NOTE: FT members have been able to enter Canada without any issues by updating passport online only.

He specifically requested that only the telephone number be posted (and not the email address).

In case the telephone number doesn't work, here's the webpage where the phone number is posted: Canada Border Services Agency - NEXUS - General Information
Note:

US citizens/residents who have both Global Entry and NEXUS cards and who renew the Global Entry membership whilst their NEXUS card is active, will not be able to renew the NEXUS card until after it expires. The option to do so disappears from the TTP website.
Dear mxzblftspk,

Your NEXUS membership is not set to expire until July 11 2016.

As an approved NEXUS member, you added Global Entry for an additional $100. When you completed your Global Entry application, you received a Global Entry card. When you activated the Global Entry Card, your NEXUS Card was deactivated and the option to renew NEXUS was removed from your account.

If you wish to renew NEXUS, you will have to wait for your NEXUS membership to expire. Once it expires, you will have the option within your TTP online account to renew NEXUS. After you follow all of the steps to become a NEXUS member again, including the completion of an interview at a NEXUS Enrollment Center near the Canadian border, you will receive a new NEXUS card and will have Global Entry benefits at no additional cost.

When your Global Entry account expires 5 years after your application, do not renew it. Global Entry benefits are included with your NEXUS membership.

It is our goal to provide you the best information we have in response to your question. If you follow the information provided in our response, and still need assistance, please reply to this email and we will investigate how we may further assist you.

Thank you again for contacting the CBP INFO Center.

Sincerely,

CBP INFO Center
Print Wikipost

Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:33 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

Recent posts discussing applying for NEXUS after having applied for Global Entry were moved to the following thread:
TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Aug 21, 2017, 12:50 pm

Apologies if this has been covered previously. I'm sure it has, but my searches didn't yield answers...

For me:
Applied: July 26th
Conditional approval: August 17th
Interview: August 24th

My son (age 15): Applied: August 3rd, nothing further yet

Wife: Applied: August 12th, nothing further yet

My son's was an afterthought as I wasn't going to initially but decided it'd be good for him as he travels on his own to the States. My wife (a Canadian citizen) didn't want to apply initially, but then decided to do so.

Does it matter that we each do our interviews at separate dates/times since it's going to be a little while until they get their approvals?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:24 pm

Having the interviews at the same time is just a matter of convenience, and usually both parents have to be there for a 15 year old's appointment. When travelling together, everyone has to have Nexus to use the special kiosks/lanes. Expiration date is based off birthdate, so you may have those scattered anyway.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by Viper536
Apologies if this has been covered previously. I'm sure it has, but my searches didn't yield answers...

For me:

Wife: Applied: August 12th, nothing further yet

My son's was an afterthought as I wasn't going to initially but decided it'd be good for him as he travels on his own to the States. My wife (a Canadian citizen) didn't want to apply initially, but then decided to do so.

Does it matter that we each do our interviews at separate dates/times since it's going to be a little while until they get their approvals?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to FT. Your conditional approval is very quick; less than one month. Conditional approval has been taking at least six weeks.

As notCalifornia mentioned, three of you interview on the say day/time is a matter of convenience. Unless you need your final approval immediately, I would wait for the other two. You can reschedule your 24 Aug appointment easily for some time in the near future. Then change it again to coordinate with the other two.

Is any one of your birthday coming up soon? If it is, I would schedule your interview a day after his/her birthday to gain some bonus time.

Good luck and please come back and let us know your result.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Is any one of your birthday coming up soon? If it is, I would schedule your interview a day after his/her birthday to gain some bonus time.
Mine is June, my son is October, my wife is August.

Yes, I was surprised at how soon I could get an interview, but with so many locations that are close to me, I just kept checking them. The availability was changing pretty frequently, I assume with cancellations going on. Fortunately I live in Toronto, so Pearson is nice and close.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Mine is June, my son is October, my wife is August.

Yes, I was surprised at how soon I could get an interview, but with so many locations that are close to me, I just kept checking them. The availability was changing pretty frequently, I assume with cancellations going on. Fortunately I live in Toronto, so Pearson is nice and close.
Just to clarify 1KChinito's point, for a newly approved Nexus application, the Nexus card expires five years from the approved applicant's next birthday.

So, if you interview the day BEFORE your birthday and are approved that day, you get five years plus 1 day Nexus validity. Conversely, if you interview and are approved the day AFTER your birthday, you get five years plus 364 days Nexus validity.

This "trick" only works on initial applications, renewals are always five years from the previous Nexus card's expiration date.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mnbp
Just to clarify 1KChinito's point, for a newly approved Nexus application, the Nexus card expires five years from the approved applicant's next birthday.

So, if you interview the day BEFORE your birthday and are approved that day, you get five years plus 1 day Nexus validity. Conversely, if you interview and are approved the day AFTER your birthday, you get five years plus 364 days Nexus validity.

This "trick" only works on initial applications, renewals are always five years from the previous Nexus card's expiration date.

Hope this helps.
The best trick is to apply at 17 ($0 fee) and then interview after your 18th birthday
Old Aug 21, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp

Hope this helps.
Ahh, okay. So it would be best to schedule my son's after his bday in October so he gets almost 6 years instead of 5. That'd be fine since he isn't travelling until December. Thanks for that.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:57 am

Ahh, okay. So it would be best to schedule my son's after his bday in October so he gets almost 6 years instead of 5. That'd be fine since he isn't travelling until December. Thanks for that.
Another tip - if you are trying to schedule multiple interviews for family members (i.e. spouses & kids) on the same day, just book all the interviews at various times that day, and be sure to show up for the earliest interview time - they will do all the interviews for the whole family together at the first interview time. No need to schedule them close together, as long as they are on the same day.
KCKC likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jono
Another tip - if you are trying to schedule multiple interviews for family members (i.e. spouses & kids) on the same day, just book all the interviews at various times that day, and be sure to show up for the earliest interview time - they will do all the interviews for the whole family together at the first interview time. No need to schedule them close together, as long as they are on the same day.
Is this policy in effect at all enrollment centers or just the one you visited?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is this policy in effect at all enrollment centers or just the one you visited?
Worked for me at YYZ - agent told me this was their standard practice.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:01 pm

Update:

For me:
Approval: August 24th (Before I got back to my car!)

Wife:
Applied: August 10th (edit from last post)
Conditional approval: August 24th
Interview: October 14th (only because she wants a Saturday appt., otherwise could have been tomorrow.)

I do wonder what is holding up my son's application, if at all. I thought it weird that my wife's was conditionally approved already when his application was a week before.

The interview at Toronto Pearson was interesting. I was 90 minutes late because the highway closed while I was on it, but I had called them and let them know. The two officers were standing side by side at the counter. The US agent asked me questions and then the Canadian agent asked me the same. I wanted to ask if he couldn't have just listened to my answers the first time!

They asked:
- Have I been convicted of any crimes?
- Have I ever been denied entry or had issues with immigration?
- Confirmed my address
- Confirmed who I work for.

That was it. I'm sure the picture will be horrible as he just held a webcam up in front of me and quickly took the picture. Fingerprints, then the iris scan, which took me a few tries.

The whole process was maybe 10 minutes.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Last time I tried to update my driver's license (in-person), I was told they don't need it. Think this is still there from the legacy requirement from ages ago.
My mileage varies. I was at the Vancouver Main Street enrollment centre only two weeks ago for my 14 year old's NEXUS renewal appointment, and was told by CBP that when she gets her driver's license to bring it in so it can be added to her NEXUS profile.

So much conflicting and constantly changing information with this program...
Old Aug 25, 2017, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kiraly
My mileage varies. I was at the Vancouver Main Street enrollment centre only two weeks ago for my 14 year old's NEXUS renewal appointment, and was told by CBP that when she gets her driver's license to bring it in so it can be added to her NEXUS profile.

So much conflicting and constantly changing information with this program...
Didn't even look at my drivers license at YYZ. I had it out and ready.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 2:27 pm

So: We started our online application when we lived in one state, and interviewed after we moved to our new state, and showed our new licenses there. My wife took longer to get approved, and her record at GOES, after approval, still showed her old license. We've changed it online: what I've read from following this thread for a while is that Canada may not automatically have the update, and she may need to show her new license in person. What is the importance of Canada having the new license? If we need to update it, can it be whenever we happen to go there (at our crossing the NEXUS lane would, under the current schedule, likely be closed when we cross) go into the office, which isn't a NEXUS interview location, and show the license? We'll want to use the privileges for Global Entry for a flight from Europe to the U.S. before we'd return to Canada.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.