Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold
Data point to add:

CDG-JFK flight Oct 13, Terminal 4 arrivals. First time experience with GE 2.0. I was pleasantly surprised with the nearly instantaneous facial recognition and receipt print-out once I got to the machine.

What wasn't great was the exit queue, where only 2 officers were stationed to process multiple international flights (it seemed nearly everyone had GE). My partner, who's not in GE, was able to clear immigration, go to the bathroom, and collect our baggage before I met up with her.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta
Another data point, KEF-BOS Oct 13, very pleased with instantaneous face recognition once I got my face in the frame on the screen, and walked on with only a cursory "anything to declare?" question by the officer (I said I had food - chocolate and such - which seemed not to interest her much and she waved me on without further questions).

I actually forgot to take off my glasses, but the facial recognition does not seem to care that much about it at all, despite the instructions.
abaheti likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At CLT the other day there someone nearby re-positioned my camera for me. My non-Pre Check companion actually got through faster as GE required awaiting in a dedicated line to pass by an agent rather than just being waived along. No dedicated customs line, but the agent took my GE slip and the non-PC slip consulting of the number "1" scrawled in red as the only content, without any comments.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:31 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Came in yesterday into JFK T1. Kiosk cameras were not really adjustable so the picture it took of my was rather weird and the machine said 'proceed to see GE officer'. Sure enough the officer in the GE line said something along the lines of 'he needs to be processed' to a colleague and handed him my passport. Luckily it didn't mean secondary but the officer took me to the next desk and cut in line there. It seem the biometric data was not captured properly. My friend who was with me walzed thru the process and had no issues. Foreigners with GE still have to show their passport to the officer matching the images.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
May be worth it for some to try to put your fingers/hand up to sort of block the camera and try to squat, stand on tip-toes or otherwise adjust position to get the head into the head outline position before clearing the way for the camera to take the photo.

Despite what I've often thought are really bad photo captures of me at the GE 2.0 kiosks, I've yet to have such referral to a different CBP employee for manual processing because of what appeared to be a bad photo shot at the kiosks. Perhaps the GE kiosk cameras capture more imagery than what is displayed on the screen and pulls that bigger image in for processing into the facial biometric analysis.
kevino likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by GUWonder
May be worth it for some to try to put your fingers/hand up to sort of block the camera and try to squat, stand on tip-toes or otherwise adjust position to get the head into the head outline position before clearing the way for the camera to take the photo.
When the cameras aren't adjustable easily I slightly crouch down but make sure to have my face directly looking forward at the camera with a neutral expression. I use the guidelines on the screen before I capture the photo.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 2:27 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Majuki
While I can't claim knowledge of all configurations, the way it works at LAX and SFO is you just walk out. Sometimes there are officers watching passengers as they exit, but at that point you're past the immigration desks and it's about customs enforcement.
I can confirm this at LAX.

Pre-pandemic from NRT > LAX, I would have to scan my passport and answer the questions for a printout at the GE kiosk. Fast forward to last May 2022, I was surprised that they were pushing us through quickly after the recognition, not even checking a passport! Then after baggage pickup, they used to question you again and pick up the printout. Last May..nothing. I just left. Felt like I was escaping prison or doing something wrong.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 4:51 am

Programs: LH / M&M
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Came in yesterday into JFK T1. Kiosk cameras were not really adjustable so the picture it took of my was rather weird and the machine said 'proceed to see GE officer'. Sure enough the officer in the GE line said something along the lines of 'he needs to be processed' to a colleague and handed him my passport. Luckily it didn't mean secondary but the officer took me to the next desk and cut in line there. It seem the biometric data was not captured properly. My friend who was with me walzed thru the process and had no issues. Foreigners with GE still have to show their passport to the officer matching the images.
Exact same issue 4 days later at the same Airport, T1. The help from the officer overlooking the GE kiosk came swiftly. However I wonder how the facial recognition can be improved for me personally. Maybe by going to the Enrollment Center and taking a new photo ? Without an appointment (and there is no way to schedule one afaik) this could be tricky...I summarized the issue on the official CBP.gov-website. On my way back to Germany I will ask the officers at the Enrollment Center and report back here. A bit of hope: A picture of me was taken at the "regular" immigration kiosk, so this new picture could in principle be now linked to my profile. .
Old Oct 27, 2022, 5:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I had my 'picture' taken in April when I had to stand in the regular line with my family. It worked well when exiting the US in SFO where they use the CBP data at the TSA checkpoint and during boarding. So my biometrics are definitely in the system. Also the kiosk does recognize you in some form, otherwise it would not accept you for the GE process...
Old Oct 27, 2022, 6:34 pm

Tried facial recognition at YYC a few months ago. Cameras are not adjustable and lighting is not good - not ideal for darker skinned folks. The first officer was confused why it wasn't working but another officer clearly knew what was going on - they actually went back with me and used my phone flashlight as I was at the kiosk and it spat my receipt instantly.

They encouraged me to use the feedback/complaint webpage about my experience.
chrisny2, abaheti and TPACjv like this.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 4:02 am

Programs: HHonors / UA M+ / TK M&S Elite
Originally Posted by g3n1us
Tried facial recognition at YYC a few months ago. Cameras are not adjustable and lighting is not good - not ideal for darker skinned folks. The first officer was confused why it wasn't working but another officer clearly knew what was going on - they actually went back with me and used my phone flashlight as I was at the kiosk and it spat my receipt instantly.

They encouraged me to use the feedback/complaint webpage about my experience.
Additionally, from what I've read, it seems the backend matching algorithm was trained on predominantly light(er) skinned faces, causing the match success rate of darker skinned folks to be far lower in general.
abaheti and g3n1us like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:11 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Global Entry JFK now paperless

Seems like this new process started yesterday. After approving your face scan, the kiosk no longer spits out a paper slip. The kiosk screen simply tells you to proceed to the officer who scans your passport and waves you through.
Majuki and abaheti like this.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Smooth sailing at LAX TBIT on Friday evening. Machine photographed me and I walked right past a CBP officer with passport in hand. She simply waved me through. Probably my fastest entry ever.
abaheti likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2022, 11:31 am

Programs: A3 *S
Just breezed through a GE machine. Decided to test the algorithm while wearing an N95 mask and still worked perfectly. How the heck?
Majuki and ExpatExp like this.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
In Miami yesterday, the kiosk just instructed us to proceed about 10-15 seconds after snapping our pictures. After a few more seconds, the CBP agent at the exit from the GE kiosk area called our names and then looked at our passports and that was it; he asked no questions about having anything to declare (we did not). There seemed to be a couple more agents standing at the door just after the baggage carousels and before the agricultural inspection area. We had no interactions with them.
Majuki likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.