Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry 2.0 - Facial Recognition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:12 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
I just used the new machines at LAX and was caught off guard because I had no idea of the upgrade! I only had to take my mask and glasses off, wait for the giant green checkmark, and the agent said "You're good to go". Nothing printed and the agent at the desk didn't ask for anything. I'm still in shock that it was so fast!
Is this new? My two experiences with GE 2.0 both had the standard paper receipt.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Majuki
Is this new? My two experiences with GE 2.0 both had the standard paper receipt.
Either it's a brand new procedure starting this week or... they ran out of paper!
Old Oct 28, 2021, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Either it's a brand new procedure starting this week or... they ran out of paper!
In the case of running out of paper, that's a technical malfunction. Furthermore, in most setups the receipt is your ticket to exit the customs hall.

However, if a USCBP officer was waving people through, maybe it's a new setup. We'll be heading through LAX in a month, so I'll report back.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
We'll be heading through LAX in a month, so I'll report back.
You were 100% right, and I was shocked too how fast it was. LAX has changed to single stop since I was last there in February 2020. I was a bit surprised at the new kiosk. It is a tablet sized screen on a thin stand with a camera. Like you said, a green check appears, and a CBP officer with a tablet is nearby. The officer called out my name and said I was good to go. There was no paper receipt. Mrs. Majuki was using one next to mine which was the older style but still GE 2.0. She didn't remove her mask completely, so the kiosk didn't recognize her photo. She ended up getting cleared at the booth after a quick passport scan.

Once you have your luggage, you just walk out. There's no longer the stop sign with the desk at the exit to the customs hall.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Good for LAX! JFK T1 does not have this new feature I can tell you. I got off a busy flight and had to wait in line after grabbing my paper receipt. But only for a minute or two.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
List of 2.0 sites?

I've looked for a list of 2.0 sites, and did see an article about two more sites being added. Can anyone provide a link that shows all 2.0s?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 4:22 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by 747FC
I've looked for a list of 2.0 sites, and did see an article about two more sites being added. Can anyone provide a link that shows all 2.0s?

Many thanks.
Scroll down for the list of airports.
pudgym29 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
So when was this rolled out? The link above provides a long list of airports but I don't recall seeing GE 2.0 on my last inbound to SFO (admittedly 8 months ago). Call me skeptical but I find it tough to believe that all the original machines have been replaced with GE 2.0, particularly at smaller airports like FAT. And surprised not to see DCA on the list.

I guess I need to get out of the cave more...
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
So when was this rolled out?
My data points are limited to AUA (May), SEA (September), and LAX (November). All three locations had GE 2.0 with LAX having the kind that didn't even print the receipt. My most recent international entries were all before the pandemic, so I don't have a useful data point there.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Boraxo
So when was this rolled out? The link above provides a long list of airports but I don't recall seeing GE 2.0 on my last inbound to SFO (admittedly 8 months ago).
I mean, the thread goes back to 2018...

SFO definitely had it when I returned from SIN two weeks ago.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 6:54 am

Programs: AC 25K, Aeroplan Amex Reserve
My 16 year old daughter is heading to the US on Friday and meeting us for the trip back to Canada. I’m wondering what her experience at the kiosk will be like considering her Nexus has been renewed twice since he picture was last taken so she her card has her picture at the age of of 9. Worst case she will also have her passport which is from 2018, but obviously not tied to the GE biometrics.

Has anyone else experienced this? It’s her first time travelling alone, and I’m just prepping her for the possibilities.
samosa likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 7:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Zorak
I mean, the thread goes back to 2018...

SFO definitely had it when I returned from SIN two weeks ago.
SFO had GE 2.0 in play for me even back in July of this year.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft
Worst case she will also have her passport which is from 2018, but obviously not tied to the GE biometrics.

Has anyone else experienced this?
While this is not a direct comparison, Mrs. Majuki had facial surgery between her GE photo from 2013 and using GE 2.0 this year. It worked once but not the 2nd time. However, the second time she had only pulled her mask down to her chin rather completely removing it. FWIW, her passport photo is from before the surgery too, but it hasn't prevented her from using automated passport control gates that compare the biometric passport photo.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 4:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FinsToTheLeft
My 16 year old daughter is heading to the US on Friday and meeting us for the trip back to Canada. I’m wondering what her experience at the kiosk will be like considering her Nexus has been renewed twice since he picture was last taken so she her card has her picture at the age of of 9. Worst case she will also have her passport which is from 2018, but obviously not tied to the GE biometrics.

Has anyone else experienced this? It’s her first time travelling alone, and I’m just prepping her for the possibilities.
When was the last couple of times that she entered the US on her passports? Were those done on the 2018-issued passport?

If GE 2.0 or Simplified (Biometric) Arrival doesn’t work at first glance, the CBP employee can end up just processing the entry based on scanning the passport, doing a visual cross-check and asking some questions.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If GE 2.0 or Simplified (Biometric) Arrival doesn’t work at first glance, the CBP employee can end up just processing the entry based on scanning the passport, doing a visual cross-check and asking some questions.
This is what Mrs. Majuki did the other week at LAX without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.