Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Denial and Recourse

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I still suggest you go in for the interview. Don't give them a reason to later disqualify you.

Originally Posted by flyfaraway
Thanks all! I ended up getting an interview for tomorrow and called them about the letter. After some back and forth they said to come in. 30 minutes later I get an email with a notification that I'm approved and it is showing approved on the website!
Old Sep 12, 2017, 9:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Exclamation Moderator's Action

A recent post about NEXUS renewal denial, which discussed the reason as opposed to the appeal process, was moved to the Global Entry Revocations [merged threads].

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:49 am

Unhappy Global Entry Denied after interview (no arrests)

Hey there,

I am really shocked with what happened. Had my conditional approval 2 weeks after initial Global Entry application, interview 2 days after conditional approval. Interview was very short, basically the officer just went over the rules with me and sent me on my way saying that I would get an approval that same day. I did not get any emails..

2 days later I checked my account and saw that the status changed to Denied. There was no denial notification, no letter, no email, nothing. Just a status change. I called my enrollment center and they told to wait for the denial email. I haven't got anything so far. I don't even know the reason. The was no indication whatsoever that I might have been denied. No arrests, no issues. Anyone has any advice? I have already submitted a FOIA request.

Also, I am a green card holder.

Last edited by adventurer17; Oct 9, 2017 at 10:13 am
Old Oct 9, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by adventurer17
I am really shocked with what happened. Had my conditional approval 2 weeks after initial Global Entry application, interview 2 days after conditional approval. Interview was very short, basically the officer just went over the rules with me and sent me on my way saying that I would get an approval that same day. I did not get any emails..

2 days later I checked my account and saw that the status changed to Denied. There was no denial notification, no letter, no email, nothing. Just a status change. I called my enrollment center and they told to wait for the denial email. I haven't got anything so far. I don't even know the reason. The was no indication whatsoever that I might have been denied. No arrests, no issues. Anyone has any advice? I have already submitted a FOIA request.

Also, I am a green card holder.
I feel your pain. My GE denial in 2013 was equally baffling -- I'm a US citizen myself, and I've never had the slightest brush with the law or customs, anywhere -- and I never got an answer as to why I was denied. My working theory is that I inadvertently tripped some kind of algorithm that denies GE to people who move a lot. By a combination of coincidence and moving for work I had eight addresses in ten years, all of which had to go on the application form. I eventually resigned myself to a combination of standalone TSA PreCheck, for which I was immediately approved, and Mobile Passport Control, which at some airports still allows travelers to skip the line à la GE, though that's changing.

May I ask which country you moved to the US from? Given the current administration, that may have some bearing.

If you were a citizen I'd recommend a letter from your Senator or Representative requesting an explanation, though as a Green Card holder I think a FOIA request is your best bet. Just be prepared for it to be rejected again and again. For example, did you have it notarized? When I submitted one there was no mention in the rules that notarization was required, but it led to a rejection nonetheless.

As for me, I've settled down a bit and had only two addresses since my denial, so I'm thinking of applying again in 2018.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you were denied after being told by an Officer at your interview that you were approved, it means that the Officer was overruled by a supervisor. You should eventually receive a letter explaining in broad and likely useless terms, the reasons for denial. Don't know how long ago you called, but give it 30 days and call back.

FOIA typically won't help much because what you receive will likely have the critical information redacted. But, it may shed some light on the situation. Be prepared for a good 9-12 months.

Forget Members of Congress. If you have a delayed passport or somesuch, a call from a Congressman's office can move things along. But, I would be shocked if a Member got in the middle of a GE denial for someone he doesn't know really well and for a really long time.

Out of curiosity, what is your nationality and how long have you been a LPR. How long to citizenship? A lot here may be due to an inability of CBP to verify information in other countries where you have lived. But, hard to tell without specifics.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Forget Members of Congress. If you have a delayed passport or somesuch, a call from a Congressman's office can move things along. But, I would be shocked if a Member got in the middle of a GE denial for someone he doesn't know really well and for a really long time.
You may be shocked, but I know from personal experience it happens. Note that I never suggested that a congressperson would or should lobby for an individual’s GE rejection to be overturned, only that such a letter can quicken the pace of uncovering the rationale behind the rejection.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Part of their job is constituent services, and I know from others it's been the question from Congress that got CBP to take another look at a case. Now, of course, depending on the reason another supervisor might not make the difference, but it might...
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

I am from Eastern Europe originally, have been a green card holder for a few months now. Do you think that might be the issue?

also, another question, will GE denial affect me entering the US in any way?

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 9, 2017 at 9:53 pm Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member for readability
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
This is unclear. Many people who have had it revoked - different than denied - report frequent if not constant secondary inspections for a period.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Although a U.S. citizen and maybe some other key differences, I traveled very extensively for many years after having been denied (before eventually being approved years later) and never had a single problem.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Out of curiosity, what is your nationality and how long have you been a LPR. How long to citizenship? A lot here may be due to an inability of CBP to verify information in other countries where you have lived. But, hard to tell without specifics.
I am from Eastern Europe originally, have been a green card holder for a few months now. Do you think that might be the issue?
Bosnia? Serbia? Macedonia? Bulgaria? Turkey? Chechnya? Could be the reason.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Although a U.S. citizen and maybe some other key differences, I traveled very extensively for many years after having been denied (before eventually being approved years later) and never had a single problem.
As one who was denied and subsequently approved, do you have any specific advice for someone who is considering reapplying?

As I mentioned upthread, my denial was in 2013, and I’m thinking of reapplying in 2018. I’ve had zero law enforcement or customs issues throughout my life, nor have I visited any countries on terror alert lists, which is why my denial was puzzling.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Bosnia? Serbia? Macedonia? Bulgaria? Turkey? Chechnya? Could be the reason.
No, none of those. I am from Ukraine.

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
As one who was denied and subsequently approved, do you have any specific advice for someone who is considering reapplying?

As I mentioned upthread, my denial was in 2013, and I’m thinking of reapplying in 2018. I’ve had zero law enforcement or customs issues throughout my life, nor have I visited any countries on terror alert lists, which is why my denial was puzzling.
When you were denied, did you get any letters/notifications at all? Did you try calling them and asking?

Last edited by TWA884; Oct 10, 2017 at 10:00 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by the same member; please use the multi-quote function
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:30 am

When you were denied, did you get any letters/notifications at all? Did you try calling them and asking?
I was notified of the denial by letter. I did try calling the station chief where I’d had my interview, but she was rude and unhelpful. After a few rejected FOIA requests I finally wrote to the ombudsperson politely asking for a review, and several months later that too was denied without explanation.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would not overthink this. Ukraine might or might not be an issue. The recency of the green card might be an issue and a combination of the two might be more of an issue.

Something popped out between the time the Officer told you that you were approved and the time that action was reviewed, apparently later in the day.

This could well be the absence of verified information, sometimes a problem with other nations, rather than negative information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.