Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Does a passenger with nexus who has a travelling companion without nexus can convey any nexus type privileges to that companion on either side of the border - either with airport security or with customs/immigration?
No. None.
Old Apr 10, 2022, 9:16 am

Does a passenger with nexus who has a travelling companion without nexus can convey any nexus type privileges to that companion on either side of the border - either with airport security or with customs/immigration?

A secondary question which applies to a relative- the travelling companion has an expired nexus card (which expired during the covid pandemic over a year ago) - she just sent in an online application last week to get it renewed - let us see how long it takes for her nexus card to get renewed.
You may extend the TSA PreCheck portion (entering the gate area) to your progeny 12 years old or younger.

Otherwise, anyone without Nexus/Global entry may not go through the special lanes. Sometimes though, the regular lanes had less people, and I picked the regular lanes for that reason.

I would expect less waiting to get it approved again for your relative, but it tends to be random... post your experiences to share!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by evanderm
Hope the other cards come in before your trip.
A few questions on Nexus-NonNexus lanes at land border crossings.
1- If some of us have Nexus and others don't, we all have to take the Non-Nexus lane, but can a Nexus holder use their Nexus card instead of Passport as their ID?
2- Do we HAVE TO update the "Document Type" to Nexus Proximity card in the ArriveCAN profile for Nexus holders and continue to use Passport for others?
3. Is Nexus Proximity card same as Nexus card or something else?
4. When we show the Nexus/GE card at the RFID scanner device, do we need to show them for everyone in the vehicle or just the driver?

Thank you!
Old Jul 20, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by sinseattle
1- If some of us have Nexus and others don't, we all have to take the Non-Nexus lane, but can a Nexus holder use their Nexus card instead of Passport as their ID?
2- Do we HAVE TO update the "Document Type" to Nexus Proximity card in the ArriveCAN profile for Nexus holders and continue to use Passport for others?
4. When we show the Nexus/GE card at the RFID scanner device, do we need to show them for everyone in the vehicle or just the driver?

Thank you!
1. To use NEXUS lanes and land borders to enter Canada, EVERYONE in the vehicle must be a NEXUS cardholder and have it with them to present, including infants.
1a. To use NEXUS lanes and land borders to enter US, EVERYONE in the vehicle must be a NEXUS, Global Entry, or SENTRI cardholder and have that card with them to present, including infants.
2. Not sure, but if you are using the NEXUS lane, I would update.
3. AFAIK, there is only one NEXUS card.
4. [It has been a while since I so entered and will let a more recent entrant confirm.]
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Read the end of this thread for more permutations and an important bridge exclusion... Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI
Old Jul 20, 2022, 1:07 pm

Thank you!
I drove across the border at the Bluewater Bridge using my Nexus card for the first time last month and will try to answer these as best I can based on my experience.
1. If the Nexus cardholders are citizens then yes, they can use the Nexus card alone for ID, the non-Nexus holders will need passports. Permanent Residents must travel with a passport if they have a Nexus or not according to this site: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...dv-eng.html#s1
2. I have not updated my ArriveCAN profile at all since I set it up with my passport information. This was months before I received my first Nexus card in April. I used ArriveCAN before crossing the bridge back home and the CBSA officer in the Nexus lane didn't mention that I needed to change my ArriveCAN profile at all or that I had done anything incorrectly. ArriveCAN was never mentioned once, he just asked what I had to declare. Also in May I flew home from Denmark and used the Nexus kiosks at Pearson and again, no indication anything was amiss despite my ArriveCAN profile having passport info only. I imagine since your Nexus profile contains your passport number it shouldn't matter.
3. They're the same thing. If you select it and use the camera to scan it you'll see it looks exactly like a Nexus card and copies all of the info from your Nexus card automatically. The CBSA and CBP refer to the RFID readers drivers tap their cards on before speaking to an officer as "Proximity Card Readers" so I imagine that has something to do with why it's called this in the app.
4. You tap as many Nexus cards as you have in the vehicle, beside the reader there will be a counter that will indicate the number of cards that have been successfully read.

Hope this helps!
​​​
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:55 am

Thank you!
1. You are correct - you have to use a non-Nexus lane. As long as the Nexus card holder is a US or Canadian citizen it's acceptable as a proof of citizenship and identity and no passport is necessary, though I'd still suggest bringing a passport (see the FAQ: Can I use my NEXUS card as proof of identification and citizenship in non-NEXUS lanes when entering Canada?). Make sure the card is activated online through TTP.
2. I've never actually had to show my ArriveCan receipt to a CBSA officer. I was told the information gets pulled up automatically. Whether this is done based on document number or a name/d-o-b match I don't know for sure but I think it's name/d-o-b. jwmw's experience and my experiences when I had ArriveCan linked to my passport, but only the PR Card was scanned at the PIK in the airport would suggest that it doesn't need to be specifically linked.
3. They're the same thing.
4. Coming in to Canada, not all lanes have RFID readers (see more here) but you can hand the card over to the CBSA officer. If you are in a lane with an RFID reader, everyone holds up their cards.

Last edited by evanderm; Jul 21, 2022 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 24, 2022, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by droopydog
No. None.
"Trusted Travellers include:
[...]
  • those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight."

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

Last edited by keepclimbing; Jul 24, 2022 at 9:01 pm Reason: Improve context
Old Jul 25, 2022, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by keepclimbing
"Trusted Travellers include:
[...]
  • those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight."

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers
* at the discretion and presumed knowledge of the person organizing the queues.

It can be hit or miss if the actual person monitoring the queue knows of this policy and allows it. I've been denied when travelling with someone with Nexus, despite having Global Entry (no card as not a US or Mexican citizen) and pleading with the person based on this policy. (Before I got Nexus and a RAIC)
Then again, I've also brought a group of 4 travel companions without nexus not related to me but on the same flight and booking through with my RAIC (my partner has nexus and was also flying).

YMMV
keepclimbing likes this.

Last edited by evanderm; Jul 25, 2022 at 11:25 am
Old Jul 25, 2022, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by evanderm
Then again, I've also brought a group of 4 travel companions without nexus not related to me but on the same flight and booking through with my RAIC (my partner has nexus and was also flying).
I can (kind of) see the rationale for allowing people to take their family through with them, but 4 unrelated people accompanying a restricted-access cardholder and their partner, in possession of that card?

I'm no expert in such matters, but on its surface that does not seem prudent.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:20 pm

Nexus & H1-b & Kids & Confusion

I am travelling from Pearson (YYZ) with my two kids who do not have Nexus. I have Nexus and an H1-B Visa (Canadian working in the USA). When travelling alone I am required to go through the Nexus line for obvious reasons. However someone mentioned that because I am travelling on a US Visa (H1-b) I must go through the Nexus line even though my kids do not have Nexus. Does this make any sense? I also know that you can have your Nexus card taken away for trying to go through the Nexus entry into the USA. But I also know that on an H1-b visa I annotgo through the regular line after I pas security. Lots of contradiciton. Can anyone help me out here with proper information?

Thank you.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJEK2000
I am travelling from Pearson (YYZ) with my two kids who do not have Nexus. I have Nexus and an H1-B Visa (Canadian working in the USA). When travelling alone I am required to go through the Nexus line for obvious reasons. However someone mentioned that because I am travelling on a US Visa (H1-b) I must go through the Nexus line even though my kids do not have Nexus. Does this make any sense? I also know that you can have your Nexus card taken away for trying to go through the Nexus entry into the USA. But I also know that on an H1-b visa I annotgo through the regular line after I pas security. Lots of contradiciton. Can anyone help me out here with proper information?

Thank you.
you can NOT go through Nexus (or GE) with anyone not enrolled. If you try, a), the machines will not recognize them, and b) you will [almost certainly] have your Nexus revoked.

im unclear on the ‘obvious reasons’ you can’t travel via the regular line with an H1-B - my now wife traveled many, many times through regular line with an H1-B and never an issue. That’s the line you are going to go through if you are traveling with your kids who don’t have it.

(as for next time, get them NEXUS - free for kids under 18, and once they have it, they are set - just the small problem at the moment of finalizing enrollment since Canadian Nexus offices are not open again yet for interviews/approvals).
Old Dec 23, 2022, 3:33 pm

Thanks. The obvious part was regardign when I travel alone, I would obviously go through the Nexus line.
Old Dec 23, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJEK2000
Thanks. The obvious part was regardign when I travel alone, I would obviously go through the Nexus line.
That may be so, however, your said that you were 'required' to use the Nexus line. No one is ever 'required' to go through the Nexus/GE line, when traveling alone or not. It is almost always much faster and more beneficial, but never required. That's why I was confused at your statement.
seawolf likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 1:05 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I couldn't see any posts on here, but thought I would ask to see if anyone ran into this.

Last month (Dec 2022) flew domestic out of YYZ-T1 going through the Nexus line for security with a non-Nexus compaion. Told the CATSA agent at the line that the 2 of us a travelling together and I was told that BOTH of us had to be Nexus holders in order to use the Nexus security line and then pointed to a sign that said each person must have their own Nexus card (or something to that effect).

This is the first time this has ever happened. From my understanding, and as per the CATSA website for Trusted Travellers, companions travelling on the same flight can accompany me through the Trusted Travellers security line.

Trusted Travellers include:
  • members of NEXUS and Global Entry programs;
  • currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);
  • Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards (RAICs);
  • international aircrew in uniform with valid airline ID; and
  • those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight
per: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

I didn't push back against the agent, but curious to know if anyone else experienced this going through security at YYZ-T1 Domestic?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.