Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2019, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by leonidas
Perhaps my question was not clear. We can't use MPC because the family is a mix of US citizens and non-citizens. The non-citizens all have GE. My question was the same as what skyraev posted above. Whether we can use a mix of GE and MPC and then go out through the MPC line with our receipts.
Yes. In numerous airports it's even the same line/agent. If agent is confused point out you knew the child couldn't use GE. Hopefully at least get conditional approval so can use Enrollment on arrival for him.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 9:56 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
GE/Precheck when only one person on itinerary has GE.

Hi guys, I think I have this sorted out and just want to make sure I have this right. For LAX-YVR-LAX, if there's a second person on my itinerary and only I have Global Entry (she has neither GE nor Precheck), we'll still get Precheck on the flight out of LAX, but my Global Entry benefits will not carry over to her on the way back from YVR, right? Basically I saw that Precheck extends to your group but it wasn't 100% clear where I saw it whether that also happens if your Precheck is coming via GE.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 10:44 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello @Eurynom0s,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Hi guys, I think I have this sorted out and just want to make sure I have this right. For LAX-YVR-LAX, if there's a second person on my itinerary and only I have Global Entry (she has neither GE nor Precheck), we'll still get Precheck on the flight out of LAX, but my Global Entry benefits will not carry over to her on the way back from YVR, right? Basically I saw that Precheck extends to your group but it wasn't 100% clear where I saw it whether that also happens if your Precheck is coming via GE.
You are correct. Yur companion is likely to - but is not guaranteed to - get PreCheck. That person is not eligible to use GE benefits.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
On the way back from YVR, you are dealing with CATSA, not TSA. Their rules for expedited screening are different and have nothing to do with whether or not the BP shows "TSA PreCheck". Your GE card is sufficient to get you access to their expedited screening lane, and your companion if they are on the same flight as you.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
On the way back from YVR, you are dealing with CATSA, not TSA. Their rules for expedited screening are different and have nothing to do with whether or not the BP shows "TSA PreCheck". Your GE card is sufficient to get you access to their expedited screening lane, and your companion if they are on the same flight as you.

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers
I know that PreCheck isn't a thing at Canadian airports--as I said, I was bringing PreCheck only for the LAX-YVR leg. But for the YVR-LAX leg, I didn't know that I can get traveling companions through CATSA expedited screening using my GE card, on so thanks for posting that.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by leonidas
We are green card holders with global entry. For my US citizen son, I have applied for GE but considering the backlog, it is unlikely to come before our trip. At arrival, can we use GE kiosks for us and mobile passport for him to enter? Any recent experience will be appreciated. Thank you!
Yes, it's possible at ORD. I do this pretty routinely at ORD this year:

1) get the MPC receipts for my travel party members who are MPC-enabled-but-not-GE-enabled -- usually doing this while I'm still on the plane; and

2) then get GE receipts for myself and any other GE-enabled travel party members at the GE machines; and

3) then jointly proceed to use MPC as family/household unit.

While the MPC app says that passports must have at least X (3 or 6?) months of validity left on them for it to be used with MPC, my experience is that MPC works with US passports at ORD this year even when the US passports have less than 3 months of remaining validity on them.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 9:59 am

Traveler with GE and one with first-time ESTA at CBP?

Hi everyone,
in December i will travel with my mother to New York (JFK) from Frankfurt. Both german citizens. I have Global Entry (with ESTA/VWP), while for my mother it's the first trip to the US under the ESTA/VWP program (and in general in the last 40 years).
I have a few questions/assumptions how to handle the immigration in JFK terminal 1, and wanted to get your opinions on that:

- Since my mother only speaks a few words of English, i'd like to accompany her through the CBP process.
- This means, i would need to use the first time ESTA queue with her, right? I'm not sure how JFK T1 works for first time ESTA, is it no machines and directly queuing for the officer?
- Does this cause any issues on my end, if i use that queue, even if i have Global Entry (except the longer waiting times)?
- Once the officer calls her up, i assume i can join her in case of any translation issues

Anything else i should keep in mind for that situation?
Old Nov 15, 2019, 10:07 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hello @Fireflyer05,

I merged your question into the relevant thread.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Fireflyer05 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fireflyer05
Hi everyone,
in December i will travel with my mother to New York (JFK) from Frankfurt. Both german citizens. I have Global Entry (with ESTA/VWP), while for my mother it's the first trip to the US under the ESTA/VWP program (and in general in the last 40 years).
I have a few questions/assumptions how to handle the immigration in JFK terminal 1, and wanted to get your opinions on that:

- Since my mother only speaks a few words of English, i'd like to accompany her through the CBP process.
- This means, i would need to use the first time ESTA queue with her, right? I'm not sure how JFK T1 works for first time ESTA, is it no machines and directly queuing for the officer?
- Does this cause any issues on my end, if i use that queue, even if i have Global Entry (except the longer waiting times)?
- Once the officer calls her up, i assume i can join her in case of any translation issues

Anything else i should keep in mind for that situation?
You can accompany your mother through the CBP process and do the same process to enter as she is required to do. In other words, when I am in this kind of situation with my ESTA-using relatives, I most often skip the use of GE and just go with the ESTA-using relatives in whichever line is applicable to the ESTA-using relatives on that day at that terminal. It's not a problem. Just make sure to have the completed declaration forms/receipts with you for yourself and her to present when talking to the CBP employee handling ESTA-users (in addition to others).

Separate lines for first-time ESTA users seem to have become less common than used to be the case, and there's been increased co-mingling of first-time ESTA users with repeat ESTA users (and even others) over time at most major US hub airports that I frequent -- JFK being one of the more common ones for my arrivals (although mostly not at T1 for me).
Fireflyer05 likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 15, 2019 at 5:35 pm
Old Mar 29, 2020, 9:24 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by maninblack
In my simpleton mind, there's no reason we (CBP) cancel someone's global entry due to their admissibility classification.
ESTA validity and GE are two separate issues.
We've had many people in immigration secondary with ESTA/visa problems. Strictly speaking about immigration, GE is never under threat unless you're denied entry.
Respectful question here - a border agent (who was quite nice but firm) said that if parents attempt to bring young children (without GE) through the GE line, they risk having GE cancelled/voided.
My kids both have it.
It was nearly completely empty at immigration at the time, so it wasn't "hopping the line," so to speak.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 6:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lindros2
Respectful question here - a border agent (who was quite nice but firm) said that if parents attempt to bring young children (without GE) through the GE line, they risk having GE cancelled/voided.
My kids both have it.
It was nearly completely empty at immigration at the time, so it wasn't "hopping the line," so to speak.
If you and your kids have GE and used the GE line, then you’re fine — unlike some GE members who try to use GE lines with kids who are not GE-enabled.

If you have GE, your kids didn’t have GE and together you all tried to use the GE line, then you may be at some risk (of membership revocation) for being GE members who try to use GE lines despite arriving with related travel party members who are not GE-enabled.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by GUWonder
If you and your kids have GE and used the GE line, then you’re fine — unlike some GE members who try to use GE lines with kids who are not GE-enabled.

If you have GE, your kids didn’t have GE and together you all tried to use the GE line, then you may be at some risk (of membership revocation) for being GE members who try to use GE lines despite arriving with related travel party members who are not GE-enabled.
They had it, we were told it didn't work (due to fingerprints under age 5 accompanied by XXXX on printout), we let it lapse.
We renewed, one got interview, the other's interview was cancelled due to COVID-19 - with no warning - and must-get-interview-by-[one-year from conditional]) is the same.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Arrival to US from Europe question

Hi All,

I have a question regarding arrival into US. I'll be flying with my wife from FRA to IAD. I have Global Entry but my wife doesn't. She has US Green Card and foreign passport. Because of that I guess we can't use Mobile Kiosk? How does it work in my situation?

Thank you
Old Apr 10, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Does a passenger with nexus who has a travelling companion without nexus can convey any nexus type privileges to that companion on either side of the border - either with airport security or with customs/immigration?

A secondary question which applies to a relative- the travelling companion has an expired nexus card (which expired during the covid pandemic over a year ago) - she just sent in an online application last week to get it renewed - let us see how long it takes for her nexus card to get renewed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.