Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2010, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, ICHG PLT AMB, Marriott PLT, Hyatt Diamond

I've searched and searched (this forum and the CBP website) and can't seem to find an answer to this question: I'm a member of the Global Entry program, but my wife is not. Can I (we) use the Global Entry kiosk when traveling together? Any help or guidance very much appreciated.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 2:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
you can; she can't

but i admit it's hard to find the info.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by squeakr
but i admit it's hard to find the info.
+1

Occasionally, the CBP officers on duty will allow any non-GE members with you to be processed by the officer next to the kiosk. However, GOES Support has told me that a family member has to use the regular line, while I use GE..
Old Aug 18, 2010, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Only GE members can use the kiosks. Not even young children or babies can be processed through the kiosks as appendages of their parents. Any US Citizen or LPR, regardless of age, who is not a GE member in good standing must be processed by an officer.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

Occasionally, the CBP officers on duty will allow any non-GE members with you to be processed by the officer next to the kiosk. However, GOES Support has told me that a family member has to use the regular line, while I use GE..
I believe what you were told was wrong. Only a GOES member can use the kiosk, but there is a CBP booth near the kiosk in case there are problems. I have been told by someone high up in the food chain that family members are entitled to be processed by this CBP officer while the GOES member uses the GOES machine. It's one of the perks of the system.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Darren
I believe what you were told was wrong. Only a GOES member can use the kiosk, but there is a CBP booth near the kiosk in case there are problems. I have been told by someone high up in the food chain that family members are entitled to be processed by this CBP officer while the GOES member uses the GOES machine. It's one of the perks of the system.
I do know that the guy who did my training (no interview, because I have NEXUS) said that family members get front of the line privileges with someone carrying GE, so this would make lots of sense.
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

GOES is not a trusted traveler program. GOES does not have kiosks or members. There is no such thing as a "GOES machine" from the traveler's front-end perspective. GOES is simply a web-based application system used for applying for various trusted traveler programs, including GlobalEntry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST.

On the other hand, GlobalEntry is a trusted traveler program that has kiosks and members. I think you are referring to GlobalEntry machines and GlobalEntry members.

People really need to stop thinking that GOES is an acronym for GlobalEntry. It most certainly is not!
Old Aug 19, 2010, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

I know, as I mentioned above, I've been told by CBP officers and GOES Support that as the Global Entry member, I can use the kiosk, but any family have to use the regular line. However, I've also heard that some CBP officers have allowed Global Entry family to be processed at the booth next to the kiosk, while the GE member uses the kiosk.. I wasn't wrong in what I said. Reread it.
FYI, no such thing as a GOES member..
Old Aug 20, 2010, 4:04 am

I apologize for saying GOES rather than Global Entry, I did read what you wrote, and I still think you were given incorrect information. Clearly, two stories are being given as shown by the other poster who was given the same as me. And at this particular airport, the info was given on good authority. If your experience has been different, fine. I didn't say you were wrong, I said that I believed the info provided was wrong.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 2:46 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Trusted Traveler w/ Companion

I'm guessing no, but wanted to ask others about their experience since I don't see it noted on the GOES site.

Are companions of a Trusted Traveler allowed to go through the new screening process with them? Could this be a YMMV (as with everything else TSA) depending on the TSA staff?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:56 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
No.

Companions must also be Global Entry members to participate.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:47 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Seems to harmonize with NEXUS (maybe SENTRI too, but not sure). NEXUS has applications for children as well - even infants have NEXUS cards.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 7:07 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Not wanting to start a new thread, I'll resurrect the old one...

Has anyone practical experience with this particular topic 18 months on? I'm specifically interested in BOS.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by sinanju
Not wanting to start a new thread, I'll resurrect the old one...

Has anyone practical experience with this particular topic 18 months on? I'm specifically interested in BOS.
Global Entry is specific to an individual who has been vetted by the application and interview process. You cannot take your spouse or offspring along with you.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:14 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Global Entry is specific to an individual who has been vetted by the application and interview process. You cannot take your spouse or offspring along with you.
As I have noted before, I have been able to take my children through every time I asked, and got front of the line privies at IAH and EWR. Others have had mixed luck, depends on the airport.

Now you can sign up children of any age for their own; Started in early march.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.