Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Yes, to the first question. The infant can’t use GE kiosks or lines when not enrolled in a program granting access to GE kiosks. Unlike with TSA PreCheck, the young child can’t ride the proverbial coattails of a person with GE when it comes to GE kiosks/CBP.

Yes, to the second question. Infants with applicable passports can use non-GE kiosks at US ports of entry. They can also use Mobile Passport Control at eligible airports when holding an eligible passport for MPC.

Thank you, this is very helpful.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:19 pm

Will soon be traveling to SFO from YVR with a companion who doesn't have NEXUS. My flight's at 6am and apparently, US Customs are quite busy at 5 in the morning. I understand I'm not allowed to bring my companion through the NEXUS customs line but what about security/CATSA? We are sharing one suitcase so if even I can't bring my companion, I can bring the suitcase through which would prevent us from having to take out all our liquids, etc... Any problems with my plan?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
CATSA doesn’t provide special screening coattails to companions, with perhaps an exception in place for pre-teen minors.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 1:46 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by tajee165
Will soon be traveling to SFO from YVR with a companion who doesn't have NEXUS. My flight's at 6am and apparently, US Customs are quite busy at 5 in the morning. I understand I'm not allowed to bring my companion through the NEXUS customs line but what about security/CATSA? We are sharing one suitcase so if even I can't bring my companion, I can bring the suitcase through which would prevent us from having to take out all our liquids, etc... Any problems with my plan?
Your companion won’t be allowed into the Nexus line at CATSA. They have someone checking for cards at the entrance. No card, they go to the regular line. But there is no reason you can’t bring your shared suitcase through with you.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 2:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Finkface
Your companion won’t be allowed into the Nexus line at CATSA. They have someone checking for cards at the entrance. No card, they go to the regular line. But there is no reason you can’t bring your shared suitcase through with you.
I wouldn’t be so sure about the first sentence above. CATSA says something different than used to be the case:

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

In that link, CATSA indicates that priority trusted traveler screening is available to those with a GE or NEXUS card and for the card holder’s companions on the same flight.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I wouldn’t be so sure about the first sentence above. CATSA says something different than used to be the case:

https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

In that link, CATSA indicates that priority trusted traveler screening is available to those with a GE or NEXUS card and for the card holder’s companions on the same flight.
In my experience (mainly at YYZ) each person going through the priority CATSA lane needs their wn card.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
In my experience (mainly at YYZ) each person going through the priority CATSA lane needs their wn card.
That has also been my experience at YVR. I have seen a lot of people turned away for lack of a card. Even people who have GE (and Pre on their BP) but don’t have the physical card with them. I suppose like everything it is a YMMV situation but there have also been a lot of threads here from legitimate GE/Nexus holders who have complained they were turned away from the CATSA priority lane because they didn’t have their card with them. So by all means the OP can try it but don’t be surprised if they send their companion to the regular line.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:19 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Apologies in advance for this basic question: I have GE and my wife does not. She is travelling with me next week. Can she use my GE on return? How is it done if it can be done? TIA
Old Sep 14, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by manstein58
Apologies in advance for this basic question: I have GE and my wife does not. She is travelling with me next week. Can she use my GE on return? How is it done if it can be done? TIA
Sorry. Only GE members may use GE. Unlike for example TSA Pre check, there are no coat tails with GE.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:50 pm

I will be returning to LAX from Europe with my 4 year old daughter in about a month. I have Global Entry nut her application most likely won't come through in time.

I'm hoping to use the Mobile Passport app for her and GE for myself. I would use MPC for myself too but I'm not a US citizen.

So my question is if anyone knows if the MPC and GE lines are combined at LAX or if they're separate. If they're combined I was hoping to be able to go through that line with one GE and one MPC.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:36 pm

Can we use mobile passport for my infant son combined with our global entry at O'Hare

We are green card holders with global entry. For my US citizen son, I have applied for GE but considering the backlog, it is unlikely to come before our trip. At arrival, can we use GE kiosks for us and mobile passport for him to enter? Any recent experience will be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by leonidas; Oct 1, 2019 at 12:43 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by leonidas
We are green card holders with global entry. For my US citizen son, I have applied for GE but considering the backlog, it is unlikely to come before our trip. At arrival, can we use GE kiosks for us and mobile passport for him to enter? Any recent experience will be appreciated. Thank you!
Only GE pax can use GE lines. I'd suggest for this trip everyone use mobile passport.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: United MileagePlus, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, NEXUS
Originally Posted by mnbp
Only GE pax can use GE lines. I'd suggest for this trip everyone use mobile passport.
Green cards holders can't use mobile passport.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:25 am

Perhaps my question was not clear. We can't use MPC because the family is a mix of US citizens and non-citizens. The non-citizens all have GE. My question was the same as what skyraev posted above. Whether we can use a mix of GE and MPC and then go out through the MPC line with our receipts.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

CATSA will allow companions as long as they are traveling on the same flight (CATSA agent will check boarding pass). Two weeks ago I was traveling from YYZ T3 with a friend - same flight, he was able to go with me through Trusted Traveller screening line.
From CATSA web site:
Trusted Travellers:

Certain individuals have been identified as low-risk travellers after undergoing extensive background checks. They carry special photo identification cards with security features that give them direct access to many airport security screening checkpoints across Canada.
Trusted Travellers Include:
  • members of NEXUS and Global Entry programs;
  • currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);
  • Canadian aircrew and airport workers with Restricted Area Identification Cards (RAICs);
  • international aircrew in uniform with valid airline ID; and
  • those accompanying these trusted travellers on the same flight.

If Trusted Traveller screening lines are not available, you will receive front-of-the-line service in the queue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.