Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:18 am

Perfect, thanks. I'm assuming that GE wouldn't mean I could just join her in the US citizens only APC lane?

Last time I did that (pre-GE), got a big X on my slip and the kiosk made some very angry noises. Upshot was that I did get seen very quickly and the CBP officer was nice enough to process me and not send me to the back of the "foreigners" queue
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by markle
Perfect, thanks. I'm assuming that GE wouldn't mean I could just join her in the US citizens only APC lane?

Last time I did that (pre-GE), got a big X on my slip and the kiosk made some very angry noises. Upshot was that I did get seen very quickly and the CBP officer was nice enough to process me and not send me to the back of the "foreigners" queue
You have the choice. The only non-choice is your wife joining you in the GE lane.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
You have the choice. The only non-choice is your wife joining you in the GE lane.
Not sure if you saw my original post as it's on the previous page... I'm a UK passport holder, not a US passport holder. Would that still apply?
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Not sure if you saw my original post as it's on the previous page... I'm a UK passport holder, not a US passport holder. Would that still apply?
Missed that so no. Sounds like you should stick with GE and meet up once through.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:16 pm

Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Missed that so no. Sounds like you should stick with GE and meet up once through.
It used to be a non-US travel companion can join a US citizen in the US citizen lane. Has that been changed?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
It used to be a non-US travel companion can join a US citizen in the US citizen lane. Has that been changed?
My wife, who is a legal permanent resident, hasn't been allowed to join our family in the U.S. citizen line for several years. We all have to go through the "miscellaneous alien" line to avoid being split up.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
1 Global entry but 2 without

Hi,

i have global entry entry but my wife and niece do not.

while I could use the kiosk I plan to just stay with them (LHR-EWR they are citizens) as I would have to wait anyway.

but when heading through cuatoms can we use the Global Entry line or do we have to use the regular one (as it is one form per family)?

thanks (first time this happens to me)
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:15 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by PlatinumScum
My wife, who is a legal permanent resident, hasn't been allowed to join our family in the U.S. citizen line for several years. We all have to go through the "miscellaneous alien" line to avoid being split up.
Oh, I see. I always thought that US citizens and LPRs could use the same lanes... It must have changed then.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:49 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
What do you do if the person you are traveling with doesn't have Nexus/Global Entry?

If the person you are traveling with doesn't have Nexus/Global Entry, do you :

1. Fill out customs card and wait in line with them
2. Meet after customs
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SKYEG
If the person you are traveling with doesn't have Nexus/Global Entry, do you :

1. Fill out customs card and wait in line with them
2. Meet after customs
Depends on the person and the line.

If they're really uncomfortable or unfamiliar with the process, go with them.

I once told a good friend to just come meet me in the lounge. He was fine with that. I sat down and dealt with our IRROPS, and he showed up ~45 minutes later after making it through pre-clearance and security.

If the line's short and I'm going into Canada, I don't mind waiting with someone.

Into the US, however, I'd take GE no matter what (but that's because I'm on an H-1B).

Last edited by tcook052; Apr 24, 2017 at 10:22 pm Reason: housekeeping before post move
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
I feel a bit uncomfortable as I feel like I'm "ditching" someone for Nexus/GE but the last time I skipped GE and went through the line separately with a friend, I got secondary for 2 hours. It was brutal, they searched my stuff too. They didn't think that a young person can fly to hit the beach for a night. This will be the same thing, flying in to hit the beach/oilers vs ducks games and back before I have any duty free limits.

I think if I asked any friend they would just say use GE/Nexus. Just was curious what everyone on here does in these situations, that's all.

Are you able to go through with someone that you aren't married or family? Like two guy friends or a girl friend?? I wondered how this works since they could never judge what relationship situation one might be in.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 24, 2017 at 10:52 pm Reason: housekeeping before post move
Old May 8, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Quick Question - as an 'almost' ((hopefully) new GE card holder, my spouse will not have GE, is it worth using the machine and then stand on line with them to clear customs/immigration or just do not use the machine at all?

I can do the TSA pre-check and they can see me on the other side and all will be good, but returning to the US would cause me some agita if I did not go through the process with them.

Thanks and safe travels... bo1953
Old May 8, 2017, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bo1953
Quick Question - as an 'almost' ((hopefully) new GE card holder, my spouse will not have GE, is it worth using the machine and then stand on line with them to clear customs/immigration or just do not use the machine at all?
Have you considered the Mobile Passport App for your spouse?
Old May 8, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
Originally Posted by TWA884
twa884 - Thanks for info, we will be returning from YVR and as such I see it is not available there... alas, I will suffer through it, this time. ;-)

Safe travels...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.