Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling with Non-GE/NEXUS Companions/Family Members

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by YYCNoob
I couldn't see any posts on here, but thought I would ask to see if anyone ran into this.

Last month (Dec 2022) flew domestic out of YYZ-T1 going through the Nexus line for security with a non-Nexus compaion. Told the CATSA agent at the line that the 2 of us a travelling together and I was told that BOTH of us had to be Nexus holders in order to use the Nexus security line and then pointed to a sign that said each person must have their own Nexus card (or something to that effect).

This is the first time this has ever happened. From my understanding, and as per the CATSA website for Trusted Travellers, companions travelling on the same flight can accompany me through the Trusted Travellers security line.

per: https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers

I didn't push back against the agent, but curious to know if anyone else experienced this going through security at YYZ-T1 Domestic?
I think it's a trial as of Nov 2022, basically they will only let you accompany a non TT if they are 12 or younger. Not surprised the website isn't updated unfortunately.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by gigafishing
I think it's a trial as of Nov 2022, basically they will only let you accompany a non TT if they are 12 or younger. Not surprised the website isn't updated unfortunately.
Flying out of YYC a few days earlier, I didn't have any issues bringing my travel companion through the TT Security line with me.

It'd have been nice to know that's changing.

Was the trial only at YYZ?
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:05 pm

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Hi all. I’m transiting through YUL tomorrow and I’m curious as to whether or not I can take someone else with me in the NEXUS lane if they don’t have NEXUS? Going to be reentering Canada and going through Canada customs.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by codfather
Hi all. I’m transiting through YUL tomorrow and I’m curious as to whether or not I can take someone else with me in the NEXUS lane if they don’t have NEXUS? Going to be reentering Canada and going through Canada customs.
A non-Nexus member may accompany you through the Nexus security lanes for CATSA inspection as long as you're travelling together on the same flight, but they won't be able to go with you through the Nexus lines for customs as everybody needs their own card to use the Nexus machines.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2023, 6:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by codfather
What's the itinerary? Not really sure if you are inquiring about going thru security or CBP or CBSA. If CBP or CBSA, every passenger need to be NEXUS or Trusted Traveler if CBP.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:39 pm

I dont see any 2023 threads so posting to see if anybody has been able to bring their kids in when traveling international through the Global Entry kiosks, did the computers recognize them? Thx
Old May 25, 2023, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sam007
I dont see any 2023 threads so posting to see if anybody has been able to bring their kids in when traveling international through the Global Entry kiosks, did the computers recognize them? Thx
No, this has never been possible. They must be enrolled in GE or NEXUS for you to clear them via GE machine. You must take them through the normal immigration line.

I think this thread has gotten a bit confusing. There's talk about both
  1. clearing immigration (regardless of US/CANADA side) and
  2. clearing security in Canada (CATSA) via the Trusted Traveler (Nexus/GE) security line.

The only thing that has changed in 2023 is in regards to access to the security line in Canada.
Xyzzy likes this.

Last edited by flyerCO; May 25, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Old Jul 20, 2023, 2:21 pm

Can anybody confirm my understanding? I am a US citizen with GE but wife and baby don't have GE. We cannot use the GE line when we travel together, right?

Can we use the CBP MPC app as a family (even though I have GE)?

Airport is LAX.
Old Jul 20, 2023, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_FCF
Can anybody confirm my understanding? I am a US citizen with GE but wife and baby don't have GE. We cannot use the GE line when we travel together, right?

Can we use the CBP MPC app as a family (even though I have GE)?

Airport is LAX.
Correct - you can’t bring them through GE with you.

Yes, you can use MPC despite being enrolled in GE - there’s no requirement that you take advantage of your privileges, assuming they’re eligible (citizens/LPR/Canadian B1/B2 - you didn’t explicitly specify).

As far as I know you could also use GE on your own (e.g. to go get your checked bags if they come out while they’re still waiting) while they go through normally or MPC.
SPN Lifer and TWA884 like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Short INT-DOM connection ORD on UA

Hi, My wife and I are arriving internationally on UA in Polaris to ORD, thursday morning. My wife is a US citizen with GE, I am not a visitor travelling on an ESTA (which has been used before).

Can I use a fast lane or a machine to clear immigration at ORD ? We have 1:40 to connect to a domestic UA flight.
I saw this garbled report:
"Permanent U.S. or Canadian residents who are Global Entry or another CBP Trusted Traveler Program members or repeat travelers from a country with a visa waiver may bypass the line and proceed directly to the Global Entry. Click here to view a list of all Visa Waiver Program countries."
From website https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myf...s/default.aspx

Thanks for any advice.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:40 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sabbasolo
Hi, My wife and I are arriving internationally on UA in Polaris to ORD, thursday morning. My wife is a US citizen with GE, I am not a visitor travelling on an ESTA (which has been used before).

Can I use a fast lane or a machine to clear immigration at ORD ? We have 1:40 to connect to a domestic UA flight.
"Permanent U.S. or Canadian residents who are Global Entry or another CBP Trusted Traveler Program members or repeat travelers from a country with a visa waiver may bypass the line and proceed directly to the Global Entry. Click here to view a list of all Visa Waiver Program countries."

Thanks for any advice.
Not sure what that passage is referring to but no you can't use GE kiosk if you are not enrolled as a trusted traveler.
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:43 am

Thanks for any advice.
You may only use Global Entry if you are enrolled in it yourself, which may be possible (though not between now and the flight if you’re not already enrolled) if you’re a citizen of one of the 14 participating countries. If you’re not, your wife can still use it (for example, to collect your checked bags, if any, so that as soon as you clear the border control you can immediately exit from customs, recheck your bags, and proceed to security).
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
Hi, Yes the passage is confusing - perhaps is referring to the other automated kiosk options? Are those available at ORD for ESTA holders? I have used them at SFO - but have also been refused on other occasions.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 9:33 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hi, Yes the passage is confusing - perhaps is referring to the other automated kiosk options? Are those available at ORD for ESTA holders? I have used them at SFO - but have also been refused on other occasions.
I don't know about ORD; however, at many airports, the kiosks are being phased out in favor of facial recognition technology.

Please refer to the following thread:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.