Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Global Entry Revocations [merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2020, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by drewguy
Would breach of a consumer contract be a basis for revoking GE? If someone defaults on their car loan, does that mean they could lose GE?
Not ordinarily, but see my post from last year in this thread:

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Or financial institutions filing a lot of suspicious activity reports against a person?

Bankruptcy filings and IRS tax liens don’t seem to generally result in GE denial nor revocation. Bank card account cancellations generally don’t either, but there could be the coincidental situation of a bank/bank partner’s reputation search cancelling accounts for person’s affiliation with the same activity that may result in GE denial/revocation.
US passport holders subject to passport denial for seriously delinquent UST/IRS tax debts have been able to get GE membership applications to final approval status even earlier this quarter, with some such passport holders even getting GE membership renewal applications into the final (renewal) approval status without any questions asked.

Criminal activity of some sort may be a breach of consumer contract, but even being a seriously delinquent US tax debtor (with tax liens to match) is commonly just a civil liability matter and doesn’t seem to result in loss of GE status or even the ability to get final approval for GE status.

If I were to be in the situation of facing an unpaid car loan with the related vehicle subject to seizure but for some reason needed to pay out of pocket for a GE renewal application, I would pay for the GE renewal fee and expect to see final approval when even those certified by the UST/IRS as seriously delinquent tax debtors for passport purposes are able to get and retain GE.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by churnandburn42
I really have zero clue.

I'm completely stumped.
Are you, by any chance, using a NY address?

Originally Posted by TWA884
That's a good question. Global Entry and the other Trusted Travelers programs are for individuals who are deemed to be low risk. Does a breach of a consumer contract or defaulting on a loan take one out of the low risk status category and makes them untrustworthy?
I would say mostly no.

CBP has not pull your credit report when you apply or renew GE. If GE has not filed a case against you for the loan, I can't see how CBP would know your financial situation.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:39 am

Oops, got revoked

Greetings. I could use a little guidance here. I came back from Mexico last month and had my one year old daughter with me. I went through global entry anyway (there are five of us and four of the five have GE). We always have to go through passport control anyway because the youngest kid with GE doesnt have biometrics on file.

I guess the officer had a bad day - they revoked my global entry due to taking my one year old daughter through without GE or something else - the letter is pretty pathetic. Based on what I read I assume it was my daughter that caused the issue.

The weird thing is I enrolled her as soon as I got home. I found out about the revocation when I was doing her interview.

Any hints on what I can do here? Am I just cooked? or can I get it back?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
Greetings. I could use a little guidance here. I came back from Mexico last month and had my one year old daughter with me. I went through global entry anyway (there are five of us and four of the five have GE). We always have to go through passport control anyway because the youngest kid with GE doesnt have biometrics on file.

I guess the officer had a bad day - they revoked my global entry due to taking my one year old daughter through without GE or something else - the letter is pretty pathetic. Based on what I read I assume it was my daughter that caused the issue.

The weird thing is I enrolled her as soon as I got home. I found out about the revocation when I was doing her interview.

Any hints on what I can do here? Am I just cooked? or can I get it back?
Have you researched the rules about taking infants through GE without first enrolling them?
Old Aug 22, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Have you researched the rules about taking infants through GE without first enrolling them?

I am 100% guilty of doing this (taking her though). I have since signed her up. Ironically I found out about my revocation as I was doing her interview.

The issue isn't that so much as they just gave me a generic letter. No details. It would seem that if this is the case for the revocation it would be ok to say that in the letter.

I filed an appeal and a FOIA to see if they can tell me more. This type of stuff is big brother scary. I can see some of this, but the secrecy is crazy.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I am 100% guilty of doing this (taking her though). I have since signed her up. Ironically I found out about my revocation as I was doing her interview.

The issue isn't that so much as they just gave me a generic letter. No details. It would seem that if this is the case for the revocation it would be ok to say that in the letter.

I filed an appeal and a FOIA to see if they can tell me more. This type of stuff is big brother scary. I can see some of this, but the secrecy is crazy.
Sorry this has happened to you, but being a "trusted traveler" comes with the expectations that all the rules will be followed. If not, how can you expect to be trusted?

And, not sure how if you have no problem with a generic letter, you still want details relevant to your situation?

Good luck with the FOIA request, but not sure they will tell you more than what you already know--you broke the rules.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.

You did break the rules, but it seems like a minor rules violation. Writing the ombudsman usually doesn't help, but in your case it might.
GUWonder likes this.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Aug 23, 2020 at 4:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Aug 23, 2020, 6:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 747FC
The rule in practical terms is that GE membership doesn't have GE-kiosk/line-using coattails for non-GE-enabled travelers to use just because they happen to be a GE member's relative/household member. Violating that rule is grounds for GE membership revocation, and this is definitely not the first time someone has been revoked for this kind of thing.

The CBP could have revoked GE membership for one or more of the other household members who had GE at the time of entry relevant to this filed violation. Maybe that too will happen.

If I were in the situation of the FTer with the whole family having GE with the exception of one family member, I would have used MPC or a paper declaration form and avoided using GE for the entry into the US.
Old Aug 23, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
You did break the rules, but it seems like a minor rules violation Writing the ombudsman usually doesn't help, but in your case it might.

It is what it is. If I can't use it anymore it really isn't that big of a deal. I did write the ombudsman and I will see what they say. I suspect I would need a lawyer to fix this which isn't the end of the world. But the online app seems to work almost as well and with small kids GE is kind of worthless anyway.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:25 am

They just reinstated me. No idea what the problem was - no letters or communication was given.

Now if I could just get them to ignore my one year old daughters bio metrics.
drewguy and 747FC like this.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
You did break the rules, but it seems like a minor rules violation. Writing the ombudsman usually doesn't help, but in your case it might.
Hold on - I don't see this as the type of "rules violation" that GE bases disqualifications on - it's line cutting at most. OP brought his daughter through the line - that's not permitted because the line is only for GE holders. But that's not contrary to a law or regulation that CBP is enforcing. If someone cluelessly walked into that line it wouldn't disqualify them from GE. If someone cuts the line at the grocery store, GE won't take away their GE privileges. This is entirely different from a GE holder failing to declare food/currency, or smuggling contraband, etc., or even engaging in other criminal activity outside the airport.

The CBP agent should have informed OP that he could not bring his daughter with him and that he'd have to take her through the regular line. (I assume OP wasn't trying to hide his daughter under his coat or something-i.e., OP properly "declare" his daughter). If the CBP agent processed his daughter as a courtesy, which presumably they have the authority to do, then there's no rule being violated - she was admitted to the country properly, even if she used a line she "shouldn't" have.

Seems like a CBP agent sought to disqualify OP for his/her own failure to enforce the line rules properly.
Old Sep 1, 2020, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by drewguy
Hold on - I don't see this as the type of "rules violation" that GE bases disqualifications on - it's line cutting at most. OP brought his daughter through the line - that's not permitted because the line is only for GE holders. But that's not contrary to a law or regulation that CBP is enforcing. If someone cluelessly walked into that line it wouldn't disqualify them from GE. If someone cuts the line at the grocery store, GE won't take away their GE privileges. This is entirely different from a GE holder failing to declare food/currency, or smuggling contraband, etc., or even engaging in other criminal activity outside the airport.

The CBP agent should have informed OP that he could not bring his daughter with him and that he'd have to take her through the regular line. (I assume OP wasn't trying to hide his daughter under his coat or something-i.e., OP properly "declare" his daughter). If the CBP agent processed his daughter as a courtesy, which presumably they have the authority to do, then there's no rule being violated - she was admitted to the country properly, even if she used a line she "shouldn't" have.

Seems like a CBP agent sought to disqualify OP for his/her own failure to enforce the line rules properly.
Wrong way to look at it. GE is a "trusted traveler program." Means that the traveler agrees to abide by all of the rules all of the time.

Put simply, it is the trusted traveler's obligation to know and abide by the rules. Not CBP's duty to tell the trusted traveler what the rules are.

That is not to paint this particular individual as some kind of arch criminal. Just pointing out the way the program works (and has worked since it was first established). People get revoked for less than this.They also get reinstated.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 1, 2020 at 12:58 pm
Old Sep 2, 2020, 12:25 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Realize that you don't even need to break the rules to be disqualified. If the government deems that you are unable to be trusted anymore for any reason, they can revoke your eligibility and participation. See the threads where some people have had their GE revoked for visiting certain countries despite (at the time) there being no travel restrictions to those countries. Or the thread where people who live in New York got screwed based on residency.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 1:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by diburning
Realize that you don't even need to break the rules to be disqualified. If the government deems that you are unable to be trusted anymore for any reason, they can revoke your eligibility and participation. See the threads where some people have had their GE revoked for visiting certain countries despite (at the time) there being no travel restrictions to those countries. Or the thread where people who live in New York got screwed based on residency.
GE membership has gotten revoked when a GE member is flagged down in ways for:

1) breaking rules; and/or
2) not meeting qualification criteria -- even criteria that were changed after becoming an approved GE member.

The latter kind of GE revocation doesn't necessarily involve the GE member breaking rules.

The thread about GE applicants living in New York covers a very different issue from that of GE revocations, as NY state residency was not used as grounds for membership revocation; rather, NY residency was, for a period of time, used as grounds for not approving/renewing GE membership applications.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
1) breaking rules; and/or
2) not meeting qualification criteria -- even criteria that were changed after becoming an approved GE member.
I guess it falls under point 2 somewhat but my GE was revoked because I applied for a new code from the UK Home Office to start my renewal. I still meet the criteria other than not being allowed to travel to the USA at present. Being a UK citizen means I cannot even raise it with the ombudsman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.