Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated CLEAR Information Thread (Locations, Promotions, Value)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2021, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by peterparker20
Hey I just got CLEAR for free on the AMEX gold like a lot of people....

Anyway ---- sounds like American Airlines hates CLEAR, ..... at O'hare/ ORD ..... the "Clear Terminals" are only set up in Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Not Terminal 3 where American Airlines is.

HOWEVER, it is a 5 minute walk from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3 once behind TSA/ security.

Is it possible/ does it make sense to just go through Terminal 2 using CLEAR --- avoid 15-30 minutes of a security line certain days -- and then walk 5 minutes to the other terminal? I'm just not sure if security makes a stink about it, or if CLEAR works with an American Airlines boarding pass, or what.
I just used Clear for the first time and now I understand that it’s only useful if there’s a long TSA line.

At MIA there’s no Clear on terminal D, where my AA flight was, so I had to go to terminal E. I didn’t check whether my standby ticket had pre-TSA, but I had to remove my shoes and belt and get my feet dirty while holding my pants, good thing they didn’t fall down on the xray machine when I had my arms up. Maybe next time I’ll skip the underwear and give a Chippendale performance
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Does anyone know if the new security entry halls (opened this week) at DCA include CLEAR? I ask because the CLEAR now only lists Terminal A as having CLEAR checkpoints.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
For those who were seeking a free trial, this was in my Inbox today. Use the code.

Old Nov 15, 2021, 3:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by sannmann
Does anyone know if the new security entry halls (opened this week) at DCA include CLEAR? I ask because the CLEAR now only lists Terminal A as having CLEAR checkpoints.
Yup, you can see them in the photo at the top of this page: https://www.flyreagan.com/news/reaga...oint-buildings
Old Nov 15, 2021, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I thought I was on some naughty list because I got the random ID verification 3 times in a row, all in the last month with United at SFO. It was a bit frustrating too because usually the CLEAR line doesn't save any time. The only reason I do CLEAR at SFO or SJC is so that I don't have to fumble with my mask. The ID check at the TDC takes longer than if I had skipped CLEAR.

I used CLEAR at Terminal 3 and LAS last night, and fortunately everything came through (after I couldn't get a good fingerprint read). The CLEAR setup at Terminal 3 at LAS is kind of strange because the kiosks are over where you'd think they would only be used for enrollment. Again, there was no line for the TDC, so it would have been faster just to skip CLEAR. I just wanted the additional data point.

Also new - I'm mostly an AA and AS guy - was that CLEAR pulled up my UA boarding pass automatically. I knew this was the case for DL but didn't know it had been extended to UA as well. Even with UA, I had to scan boarding pass each time at SFO.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK - I'm still not finding that Clear saves time.

Granted, the lines at TSA Pre have been pretty short for me, but I've realized what the biggest holdup is with Clear: it's the reps logging into the machines. How soon do these things time out? And why can't they recognize the reps' fingerprints quickly? If they can't recognize prints of their own employees who use these machines repetitively, they've got a problem.

I often show up with my wife, so they try to unlock two machines at once, reaching to both with outstretched arms. Sometimes one will unlock. Sometimes neither. So they do it another way. Just a waste of time.

And if the machines were unlocked and someone got to one unattended, then what? What could someone do? Scan their own iris? I don't see the risk here.

Meanwhile, until TSA Pre gets more traffic, I'm not wasting more time with these guys. And if I didn't get it free, I'd definitely not pay for it.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Haven't flown since Feb '20 but was interested in the CLEAR Health Pass. Enrollment was a nightmare because I first got Clear in 2014 and had some changes in facial appearance, plus I was wearing glasses for the photo, so the app took many many attempts to recognize me. Now that I'm enrolled, the photo is not the greatest match for my current appearance.

Chatted with CLEAR (jump from app to iMessage with businesses on iPhone) and they say there's no way to update photos after enrollment but they're working on it...

Kind of diminishes the value of providing a CLEAR pass if I'm likely to be asked for secondary ID at a non-airport venue anyways.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 10:26 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Haven't flown since Feb '20 but was interested in the CLEAR Health Pass. Enrollment was a nightmare because I first got Clear in 2014 and had some changes in facial appearance, plus I was wearing glasses for the photo, so the app took many many attempts to recognize me. Now that I'm enrolled, the photo is not the greatest match for my current appearance.

Chatted with CLEAR (jump from app to iMessage with businesses on iPhone) and they say there's no way to update photos after enrollment but they're working on it...

Kind of diminishes the value of providing a CLEAR pass if I'm likely to be asked for secondary ID at a non-airport venue anyways.
I had the same issue with facial recognition - I just went to a CLEAR enrollment kiosk the next time I was flying out and had a new picture taken. It was quick and easy. (And that new picture is the one that shows up on the vaccine pass - without any addition intervention on my part.)
Old Dec 1, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Flying out of EWR terminal B. Clear lanes are now open. Employee said it was their second day. Website didn’t show updated information for new lanes when I checked yesterday.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 6:53 pm

Has anyone else had trouble completing their registration using a driver license?

Two weeks ago I tried completing registration at MIA using my New York State driver license. After multiple attempts on two machines with two Clear employees, I gave up. The Clear employees said they were regularly having this problem with NYS licenses.

I've tried contacting Clear customer service but got nothing more than a form response listing forms of acceptable identification.

Seems fitting for a company that's down 50% from its July IPO.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 8:42 am

I only got charged a total of $109 for myself and a +1. I can go in an log in to her account and everything looks cool, but I haven't seen the $60 come across my credit card. Already got reimbursed the $109 from Amex Plat.

We haven't actually made it to a Clear kiosk yet to complete the process (will on Dec 25) - is there a chance that the $60 doesn't get charged until you complete that step?
Old Dec 8, 2021, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Spedinfargo
I only got charged a total of $109 for myself and a +1. I can go in an log in to her account and everything looks cool, but I haven't seen the $60 come across my credit card. Already got reimbursed the $109 from Amex Plat.

We haven't actually made it to a Clear kiosk yet to complete the process (will on Dec 25) - is there a chance that the $60 doesn't get charged until you complete that step?
My family member was charged same day and has not yet completed the in person portion
Old Dec 18, 2021, 1:37 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by Spedinfargo

I went to signup for Clear and add my wife as a family member for the discount. When I went to signup it said I was already a member from like a long time ago (I think it was like many many many years ago) so I needed to do a reset. I did and it said I had something like 10 months left on my account from before. It did not apparently include airport access so I needed to upgrade. It charged me $109 and when I went to add the wife it showed a prorated charge of $5.xx. I found that really strange. I would have expected the full $60. I saw my $109 charge immediately on my Amex but the nominal charge for her has not shown up yet but only been about an hour. She already has her email from them and setup her account with the expiration showing December of 2022.

Wondering if they are having issues in how they bill and calculate the proration.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Wondering if they are having issues in how they bill and calculate the proration.
Their customer service is responsive if you reach out. I had a somewhat similar issue where I tried to sign up Mrs. Majuki on my account. She was ineligible for the free trial that way, so I deactivated the account and signed her up separately. CLEAR was able to merge the accounts, and they charged a prorated amount.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Any way to have more than 3 additional members on a family plan?

Last edited by jimdarcy; Dec 19, 2021 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.