What do you think of Priority Pass lounge access program? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2007, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by jzoz01
The AMEX Platinum get's you lounge access in this manner.

"Receive complimentary access to participating Continental Airlines Presidents Club, Delta Crown Room Club®, and Northwest Airlines WorldClubs® locations in airports around the world.1 Simply present the club agent with your Platinum Card, your ticket valid for sameday travel on the corresponding airline that is operating the flight, and a governmentissued ID."

Typically the club closest to your gate will be of the airline you're flying. I don't see how that would be an "extremely bad bargain, to say the least!".

You misunderstood COMPLETELY. Please go back and re-read my complete post, INCLUDING the post to which I was responding. @:-)

By the way, in case you don't realize this, the Priority Pass program DOES NOT INCLUDE all airline lounges. (You seem to assume that Priority Pass includes every lounge in existence. It does not.)

Furthermore, what on earth does the Amex Platinum have to do with the Priority Pass program? They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT programs. This thread is discussing the Priority Pass program -- NOT the one offered by Amex. @:-)
Old May 2, 2007, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What I don;t get is this. My wife got a PP card through one of her CC's. I had always thought that you got charged for each use, however she has used it several times and has never been charged afterwards for use.
Old May 3, 2007, 5:53 am
jhm

Originally Posted by hfly
What I don;t get is this. My wife got a PP card through one of her CC's. I had always thought that you got charged for each use, however she has used it several times and has never been charged afterwards for use.
There are different levels of PP membership with the top being unlimited access without any further fees payable.

If in the UK, DON'T sign up for PP but instead get an Amex Platinum card instead. For the annual Amex fee (£300), this gives you without any additional cost an unlimited access PP for yourself AND your supplemental cardholder; together with the other Amex benefits, e.g. travel insurance for yourself and up to 5 supplemental cardholders; car hire insurance benefits; etc.

Even though I have OW and *A top status, I still find PP useful when I'm travelling on ST, a LCC etc. My partner - with no status - finds it very valuable when travelling by herself, e.g. using PP in HKG to get some hot dim sum, a shower etc. (This obviously varies depending on the lounge - the one in HKG is an exception with IMO most PP lounges being nothing more than a place to sit down, get a drink and possibly some snacks.)
Old May 29, 2007, 3:14 pm

Do Priority Pass holders need to be flying out of the terminal in which the club is located in the United States to gain access, or will the host airline issue a gate pass allowing the PP-holder to pass through the TSA checkpoint to access the club? Thanks.
Old May 29, 2007, 3:55 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Thumbs up I love my PP

Originally Posted by BizJet
Do Priority Pass holders need to be flying out of the terminal in which the club is located in the United States to gain access, or will the host airline issue a gate pass allowing the PP-holder to pass through the TSA checkpoint to access the club? Thanks.
Not entirely sure about this.
Once you are thru TSA security checkpoints and into the airside portions of the terminal, are you saying you need to go back out thru security in order to transit to a different terminal?

For the OP and others, Priority Pass is well worth it, imho. ^
I opted for the highest level and use it whenever I fly.

But a note of caution: the airlines and their lounges are under NO obligation to perform any of the extra services for you that they would for a member of their own lounge program. No flight announcements, no reticketing or seat assignments or anything else. I don't mind, since I can take care of that on my own.
But I would expect this includes a GA issuing a gate-pass so you could use their lounge.

On a more positive note, I'm unaware of any requirement to actaully be ticketed on a specific airline in order to use PP at that airline's lounge at a specific airport (providing that specific lounge is part of the PP program).

Sometimes PP is very convenient (flying out of HNL on United, I can use the United Red Carpet Club at my gate.)
Other times, it is not as convenient i.e. No RCC access in ORD, so you must walk over to the Delta Crown Room (which has better drinks anyway .

It was very handy during irregular ops brought on by thunderstorms in the SE USA during Spring Break 07. I could have waited in the gate area surrounded by 100s of students awaiting flights, or I could have gone to a PP-accepting lounge and had a drink and waited it out. One guess which option I chose.

I wouldn't trade it for any single airline lounge program.
Old May 29, 2007, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
But a note of caution: the airlines and their lounges are under NO obligation to perform any of the extra services for you that they would for a member of their own lounge program. No flight announcements, no reticketing or seat assignments or anything else. I don't mind, since I can take care of that on my own.
But I would expect this includes a GA issuing a gate-pass so you could use their lounge.
Have you experienced the situation you described where they refused to reticket you during an irregular ops situation because you entered through the Priority Pass program vs. having a membership? I'd think that would be a significant benefit of being able to access the lounge of whichever airline you happen to be flying at the moment.
Old May 29, 2007, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
I've been able to get through Security for a defferent terminal than my flight by showing a PriorityPass and telling them what lounge I'm using. I don't do that too often- since I never know what type of mess I'll encounter when re-entering landside for my flight, I end up leaving the lounge way too early.

And, Lurker, I don't think they'd get picky about how you got in if you needed to consult the attendants about flights. If you're flying Airline A and you're in Airline A's lounge, they should be able to help (although they may be nicer to a top-tier Elite). It's just that they won't be much help with flights on Airline B.
Old May 29, 2007, 9:07 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Have you experienced the situation you described where they refused to reticket you during an irregular ops situation because you entered through the Priority Pass program vs. having a membership? I'd think that would be a significant benefit of being able to access the lounge of whichever airline you happen to be flying at the moment.
I have had attendants in both an RCC (BWI) and a CRC (DEN) tell me to pay attention to my flight times, since they don't make announcements. Didn't care or even ask whether I was being singled out as a PP holder.

In one case I was flying on their airline (UA-RCC) and the other I was not (UA-CRC)
Luckily, I've never needed their help reticketing during irrops. (did I just jinx myself?

Also please note I said they were under no obligation to perform those other functions (which is also stated in the PP TOS, iirc).
I never said anything about lounge attendants refusing. I don't know if they would.
I expect it would be a judgement call made by the specifc lounge's attendants.
To date, I haven't asked for anything other than peace and quiet; which they haven't refused. ^
Old May 29, 2007, 9:32 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Some airports don't make announcements and the screens in the PP lounges just show the flights for the airlines that operate the lounge. This can be annoying and somewhat isolating.

Usually the receptionist can check your flight if you ask them. I have no qualms about asking - I'm not being done a favour by being allowed into their lounge, I'm buying a service.

But I would never rely on them reminding me to board or expect them to do that - some PP lounges have all kinds of people awaiting all kinds of different flights. It would be a major disturbance to have them running around or making annoucements.
Old May 30, 2007, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Sometimes PP is very convenient (flying out of HNL on United, I can use the United Red Carpet Club at my gate.)
Other times, it is not as convenient i.e. No RCC access in ORD, so you must walk over to the Delta Crown Room (which has better drinks anyway .
At ORD, you can also use the CO & NW clubs in Terminal 2.

And, I agree, Priority pass rules ^
Old Aug 25, 2007, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

I have a Standard Plus membership with Priority Pass which I use very infrequently. Anyway, I'll be arriving in Rome on US Air coming in to Terminal C in November. I see there is one lounge in Terminal C and it appears to have showers.

Has anyone used this lounge? Any problems doing so? Problems with getting a guest in? Finally, could it be used as an arrivals lounge?
Old Aug 25, 2007, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by dingo
I have a Standard Plus membership with Priority Pass which I use very infrequently. Anyway, I'll be arriving in Rome on US Air coming in to Terminal C in November. I see there is one lounge in Terminal C and it appears to have showers.

Has anyone used this lounge?
Yes, I have.

Any problems doing so?
Had a bit of hard time finding the lounge, but managed.

The lounge wasn't the most exciting experience in the world, but far from the worst either. Std. lounge with std. content - fine, in other words.

Problems with getting a guest in?
Nope, that worked fine.

Finally, could it be used as an arrivals lounge?
Dunno, but I would not bet on it. Never used a PP lounge as arrivals lounge, and not used this lounge as such either, so I'd not know.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

I've searched around and have answered some questions, but would like some feedback.

I am currently an AS Boardroom member. It has gone up to $275 this year (from $225 last time). I am a UA RCC member (currently 1P) - renewal is $350 methinks. I don't fly UA all that much anymore, but the RCC has come in handy in certain airports where I may not otherwise have access, and do connect through ORD from time to time.

Much of my AS travel is in paid F, which provides for BR access. Also, all BRs appear to be part of the PP program if I'm not in paid F. However, the AS card gets me in all CO and NW lounges, and DL lounges in certain airports. Further however, from what I can see from PP, most DL, CO and NW lounges may be included. (It is hard to see a good list of anything if not a PP member.)

Some of my travel is on UA domestic, which gets me nowhere on my status or paid fare. Some of the airports (including home - SFO) have RCC PP, but not ORD or IAD. During an irregular op situation, this could be a disaster. On the other hand, if there were "nearby" lounges, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Finally, how often do lounge affiliations change? I once looked at PP awhile back and found few to no RCCs - now there appear to be some that make this appealing, such as SFO and EWR. But I'd hate to sign up and find that they are leaving the program on 1 Jan or similar. Any thoughts or facts on this one?

Thanks for your input. I just feel like for the $625 I'd be paying in the upcoming year for the 2 memberships that I'm wasting a lot of $. Also, rarely but occasionally I have a guest or two.
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: Peon in all
I've found many DL, NW and CO lounges are part of PP, but not many UA (at least at ORD ). I wish it were nearer to the UA gates - or at least in the same terminal as most UA flights!

If it works out for you, I agree that $625 is high to spend, if many of the same (or near) clubs can be had for less.

If you want to know about specific PP locations in the airports you travel to most, PM me and I can help!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 8:44 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Finally, how often do lounge affiliations change? I once looked at PP awhile back and found few to no RCCs - now there appear to be some that make this appealing, such as SFO and EWR. But I'd hate to sign up and find that they are leaving the program on 1 Jan or similar. Any thoughts or facts on this one? wasting a lot of $. Also, rarely but occasionally I have a guest or two.
Hi there,

Lounge membership of the PP program is not that volatile. I've been a member for 3 years, and there are more additions than removals. For your particular case, here's what available:
  • SFO: Intl Terminal: UA and NW lounges, Terminal 1: DL, CO and AS lounges
  • ORD: T2: NW, CO, T3: DL, T5: Swiss
  • IAD: Concourse B: NW
  • EWR: Term A: UA, CO, Term B: DL, NW, Term C: CO (x2)

Do note that the RCC included is in the international terminal, so I guess not available for domestic flights.

PM me if you have additional questions.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.