What do you think of Priority Pass lounge access program? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you think of Priority Pass lounge access program? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
For me it breaks even at ten visits to a club. Since I definitely use the AA AC much more than ten times a year it's still cheaper to just get a club membership which works out to less than $10 a visit.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: NW PE, UA 1P, AA PLA, AMEX Plat MR, Hertz 5 Star
I've been a member. It's a great value if you travel by yourself to airports with clubs that wouldn't be covered by your main carrier's program.

Remember AmEx Platinum benefits as well.

The disadvantage is that you have to pay for any guest on any program, unlike most airline programs.

I would even say that if you're doing critical and/or time-sensitive travel (where flight cancellations/delays will cost you significant $) even just a few times a year to those airports that you wouldn't be served by under your carrier's program, it may be worth it as an 'insurance policy' as agents in those clubs that you otherwise wouldn't have access to may mean the difference between having your plans work out and not.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I have the $99 per year, $24 per visit plan. In my humble opinion, it is more than worth it. I recommend club membership with whatever airline you fly most, backed up by the $99/$24 Priority Pass.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:01 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
My personal opinion is that for $99 flat plus $25 per visit I'd be better off visiting an airport restaurant while waiting. Paying that amount of money for lounge access with mostly extremely limited food choices is a waste of money to me. Preferences seem to differ, however, as can be seen from the responses above. But even waiting in the gate area for an hour or so isn't the end of the world.

HTB.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by htb
My personal opinion is that for $99 flat plus $25 per visit I'd be better off visiting an airport restaurant while waiting. Paying that amount of money for lounge access with mostly extremely limited food choices is a waste of money to me. Preferences seem to differ, however, as can be seen from the responses above. But even waiting in the gate area for an hour or so isn't the end of the world.

HTB.
So, should I assume you are not a member of any airline clubs? I'm just trying to distinguish if you have an issue with the Priority Pass or clubs in general.

Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 7:37 pm

Clarification question

Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I have the $99 per year, $24 per visit plan. In my humble opinion, it is more than worth it. I recommend club membership with whatever airline you fly most, backed up by the $99/$24 Priority Pass.
Question. If I can stay in a club using the PP card at the airports that I frequent, I assume I would not need to also purchase a airline club membership. Right?
Old Jan 12, 2007, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by bradbel
Question. If I can stay in a club using the PP card at the airports that I frequent, I assume I would not need to also purchase a airline club membership. Right?
That is correct. However, be aware that as LAXRuss noted, the priority pass club is not always the "convenient" club in a given airport. Also, if you are traveling with a companion, you will always have to pay an additional fee.

Personally, I don't see how the $99 PP membership is worth it to the OP. Assuming that s/ he uses an airport club once per RT, then s/ he is already paying nearly $400 in entry fees -- add on the $99 initial fee and that is well over a club membership for even those without any airline status.

Now, if one's home airport does not have a club and/ or the city pairs and airlines traveled change frequently, this may be a better deal.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 10:17 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
So, should I assume you are not a member of any airline clubs? I'm just trying to distinguish if you have an issue with the Priority Pass or clubs in general.
I don't have to be a member of any airline club. My Staralliance Gold status gets me into any Staralliance lounge on my day of travel, as long as I have a ticket of the alliance for that day. None of the lounges I have seen so far warrant a fee of $99 + $25 per visit. I also entered some lounges based on my golden Visa card. I was glad it was free.

I don't have a problem with. As I've written, I just don't see that I would spend $25 to get into one that offers only some drinks, and a very limited choice of snacks. Other's priorities and preferences may differ, and I don't have a problem with that.

HTB.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 7:57 am

OK. The posts have helped me understand that PP is not a scam. However, I think I should clarify one point to some repliers. PP does not cost $99 on top of another airliner club membership, you only pay $99 for the year (plus $25 per visit.)

An example, I live in MSP and primarily fly NW. I could pay $400 for a year in the Worldclub. However, with PP, I have the choice of two Worldclubs and a Red Carpet club in MSP. The same for PHX where I fly the most. The Delta Club Room is available on the PP plan about three gates from where NW is housed. Make sense?

The biggest issue I am still wrestling with is HTB's comments about "just find a nice restaurant and same the money." I guess I am a little bit of a snob.

BTW: There are other options for PP. Including a $399 unlimited stay option. I'm also a cheapskate!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
The no-fee Saks World Mastercard gets you a free Priority Pass membership ($24/visit) -- no miles, 1% is returned in Saks discounts.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
The biggest issue I am still wrestling with is HTB's comments about "just find a nice restaurant and save the money." I guess I am a little bit of a snob.

BTW: There are other options for PP. Including a $399 unlimited stay option.
It's not just the snob factor. It's getting out of the way of the repeated "the moving sidewalk is coming to an end" announcements, the awful beeping carts, the flight announcements.. Just gimme some peace! I'm signing on again for my 4th year, with the $249/10 visit plan. I used them all last year, but kept track of them and didn't do any more visits after I hit the max. I do consider the trade-off and if we have only an hour in the terminal and my husband is with me, we stay in the terminal. But, to me, being able to mellow out with a glass of wine and plug into the Internet when I'm stuck someplace like ORD for 2 or 3 hours is "priceless".
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, QF Plat, VA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Coles FlyBuys
I'm about to lose NW Platinum (Skyteam Elite +) status, and as a USA expat in Europe, this makes a difference. I'm torn between purchasing PP or getting WorldClub membership... in the end I think I'll go w/ WorldClubs as that will get me into the lounges I frequent the most for $250/yr including a guest. But I'm still strongly considering Priority Pass.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Since the PP card with unlimited free access come free with my Amex Platinum card, it's a no-brainer. ^

I wouldn't consider paying seperately for it, as the cost for the PP card alone (with unlimited free access) comes close to the annual fee of the Amex card.

I also don't really understand the benefit of the $24 per visit plan, as for $24, I'll probably always find a nice bar or restaurant at the airport that offers better drinks or food than what's available in your typical airline "club", especially those in the U.S.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flysurfer
I also don't really understand the benefit of the $24 per visit plan, as for $24, I'll probably always find a nice bar or restaurant at the airport that offers better drinks or food than what's available in your typical airline "club", especially those in the U.S.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, for us it's the "peace and quiet" factor. A few clubs get crowded at certain times (ORD on Friday at 6 PM!) but where else in the airport can you find comfy chairs, a reasonable distance between you and your neighbor, a convenient place to park your laptop.. you know what I mean. I found a special area for laptop users in a gate area at EWR last month and diesel (or whatever fuel) fumes were leaking in from the planes- after awhile I had to leave because I didn't feel well.

So, I'm willing to pay for it if I anticipate being in the terminal for over an hour.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by flysurfer
Since the PP card with unlimited free access come free with my Amex Platinum card, it's a no-brainer. ^
I assume that your Amex Plat is not a US card then ? I've looked at the Amex Plat lounge benefit for US cards, and it doesn't seem nearly as flexible as PP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.