Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Alternatives when airline refuses to board due to passport's nationality.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alternatives when airline refuses to board due to passport's nationality.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:49 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by LuxurySuite
This is obvious a planned fraud by the OP to seek some compensation from KA or priceline. She knew it was a Kuwaiti operated airline and claimed she didn't know about while you can see it was clear mentioned on the Kayak booking. Further she knew Kuwaiti will refuse her with an israeli passport. And while we would think she's in a stressful situation, she was here building her case. Shame on her!
Originally Posted by LuxurySuite
I am not joking. It's widely known among Israeli people that Kuwaiti doesn't allow them to board their planes. She's bought that tickets in purpose to claim compensation. This is fraud. This is the same as people who hit another car to claim money from insurance.
Just to put this to rest, she is a personal friend of mine who I have known since 2005. I am the one that suggested she post here after I saw on her post about it on Facebook and then she told me what was going on. She did not know that it was a Kuwait flight when she booked and even if she had know, it never would have crossed her mind that an airline might deny her boarding on a flight between NYC and London due to her Israeli passport. So we can lay to rest any notion that she was intentionally trying to game the system.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by FTRox87
and what would be so wrong in deposing the saudi monarchy? just because woodrow wilson made a deal with the saud family at the league of nations conference when they were diviing up the world after the end of WW1, doesnt mean that it hasnt outlived its purpose.

I mean sure there's always a risk that doing that would turn saudi into the next iraq, post-saddam. or current-day egypt with sham democracy. but atleast its a step forward in perhaps the right direction.

You have answered your own question. I wouldn't say that there is a risk, but almost a certainty, which doesn't make it a "step forward in perhaps the right direction."
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mecabq
PK, BD, and MH have at various times operated fifth-freedom flights to the U.S., though none seem to be operating at present. Were Israeli passport holders allowed to take those flights?
PK still operates MAN-JFK I believe.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by FTRox87
and what would be so wrong in deposing the saudi monarchy? just because woodrow wilson made a deal with the saud family at the league of nations conference when they were diviing up the world after the end of WW1, doesnt mean that it hasnt outlived its purpose.

I mean sure there's always a risk that doing that would turn saudi into the next iraq, post-saddam. or current-day egypt with sham democracy. but atleast its a step forward in perhaps the right direction.
I've been a huge critic of Saudi Arabia's establishment players and their ways going back almost as long as I can remember reading about the place, and I'm no spring chicken. But it doesn't make me an invasion advocate. I prefer the locals take charge of their own destiny and that it be done without foreigners killing locals to do so.

Back on the topic, does EK accepts Israeli passports for its MXP-JFK route? How about for any of its fifth freedom Asian routes east of Bangladesh? And how about PK for MAN-JFK?

Given even we here for a long time don't know for sure, I wouldn't expect the OP to know all that goes on in these matters. Most of us assume that if our passports are good in the sending and receiving countries, then the passport will be accepted for travel. When a passport gets refused because an airline/airline rep makes an issue of it, it is indeed frustrating at the very least. Israeli passport or not.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 16, 2014 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Back on the topic, does EK accepts Israeli passports for its MXP-JFK route?
I think we found where OP should fly to for another weekend?

Please stop discussing OBL and the Saudi government in this thread. Take it to OMNI P/R.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sorry if I missed it, but why is Priceline responsible?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Back on the topic, does EK accepts Israeli passports for its MXP-JFK route? How about for any of its fifth freedom Asian routes east of Bangladesh? And how about PK for MAN-JFK?
I recall that members have posted on FlyerTalk that EK will carry an Israeli passport holder, even transiting DXB.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I recall that members have posted on FlyerTalk that EK will carry an Israeli passport holder, even transiting DXB.
Dubai is far more liberal than most of the middle east, and is trying to turn itself into a vacation destination, so I wouldn't be surprised.

In my opinion, the blame for this incident is solely on the passenger. Every Israeli citizen is well aware that the country is not recognized by many Muslim nations, and it is common sense that airlines are regulated by their home governments which issue their operating certificates. As a US citizen, if I needed to fly Cubana or Iran Air for some reason, I would make doubly sure to look into all the details and make sure everything is in order well before departure.

The second issue is that it was a codeshare. I haven't booked on Priceline in a while, but every site that I have booked on clearly indicates the operating carrier on the schedule. It is not hidden in some fine print someplace, it is right there immediately following the flight number and timings. I don't see how one could miss it.

With that said, I am impressed with Kuwait Airways' resolution of the situation. It's far more than I would expect from most carriers.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 7:59 pm
Suspended

EK, EY and QR have apparently accepted Israeli passports even for transiting DXB, AUH or DOH. Not sure how systematic that has been, but it has taken place repeatedly.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GaryD
One wonders what the U.S. Government was really fighting for, when it joined (or, rather, created) the War of Kuwaiti Independence in 1990.

Freedom and democracy? Yeah, right. Welcome back, emir.

Airlines operating from the U.S. ought to be required to "recognize" the countries the U.S. recognizes, imo.
Saddam with all the oil around there would not have been a good thing.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Saddam with all the oil around there would not have been a good thing.
I was in Kuwait a few years later. The devastation was pretty bad.

Kuwait was and is an ally. We defend our allies.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

You mean, the emir of Kuwait is an ally of the U.S. Government.

We should not defend monarchs who don't let people board a plane in or to the U.S., because they don't like the (non-monarchical) country they're from.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tchiowa

Ally? It's all money and the interest to keep the petrodollars flowing at a more reasonable rate.

"Allies" are a euphemism for parties who will sell you to a brothel kingpin as soon as the alignment of shared strategic/material interests shifts substantially enough that it can be done to make them better off at your expense and get away with it.

The US has no allies, just partners of convenience for some shared strategic interests that also help to keep the peace and prosperity at home.

If the major 3 GCC airlines can fly Israelis, there is no reason to expect things to be different when flying this airline between the US and UK.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 17, 2014 at 11:36 am
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:32 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Just a random, related question. Does the US restrict who can board a flight on its carriers that don't touch the country? For example, if someone on the no-fly list books BOM-AMS-MSP on DL, would they get blocked from boarding at BOM, or would they be allowed to fly the first segment and then get stranded at AMS?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:37 am
Suspended

Oops.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.